VOGONS

First post, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

System spec in sig.

The BIOS setting seems to reset itself back to default as if there is no battery, cpu @ 700mhz, time @ 00:00:00, year @ 2000, etc, but only after the system has been unpluged at the power supply from the wall.

The cr2032 in use is brand new and showing 3.1v with a multimeter, when the system is up and running, it runs flawlessly, not a single issue, no slow downs, no lock up, no incompatabilities, and no errors while gaming, anyone might know the reason for the bios not holding it settings, even with a new battery?

One small detail, when putting this system together last, i accidently knocked off an smd capacitor that sits between the cpu and the memory slots with the hsf tab lock bracket, i pushed down too far, i did successfully resolder the smd capacitor back on and everything fired right up as if nothing happened, perhaps that smd capacitor has something to do with the bios settings keeping?

Example tusl2-c shown, not mine, smd capacitor mentioned highlighted in yellow only.

Attachments

• asus tusl2-c 2.jpg
    Filename
    asus tusl2-c 2.jpg
    File size
    893.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 1 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do not think so, the CMOS is stored in the 82801 I/O controller chip. That cap would be a suppression cap for cpu signals.
read my attached excerpt from the 82801 I/O.

Attachments

• Filename
    82801_rtc.txt
    File size
    2.33 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File license

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently had an issue like that, and the problem turned out to be some hard to see corrosion on the CMOS battery holder's contact. I diagnosed it by putting my multimeter on the battery holder's contacts on the bottom of the motherboard and finding zero volts though it had a fresh battery.

I once put together a system that would lose the CMOS settings whenever I moved it, and I finally tracked the cause to a motherboard standoff that didn't have a corresponding screw hole. Anything that jostled the motherboard grounded it out and cleared the CMOS. That taught me to be more careful about making sure that I matched up the standoffs with the screw holes when installing a motherboard into a case.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 11, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info and possible fixes.... i'll take my system apart and check the cmos battery terminals and proper stand offs for the mobo/chassis ground.

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 4 of 11, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bige4u wrote:

when the system is up and running, it runs flawlessly, not a single issue, no slow downs, no lock up, no incompatabilities, and no errors while gaming,....

Most boards advanced enough to have CR2032 batteries disconnect the battery (to preserve it) whenever the +5vsb (or +5v for AT) rail has power.
The +5vsb (or +5v for AT) powers the CMOS when it's there (powered up) and the battery is only draining (powering CMOS) when it's not there.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 11, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i just checked the backside of the cmos battery holder posts on the motherboard and to my surprise, only .400v comes through showing on the dmm.... the solder joints appear to be correct, but slightly dull looking in appearence, i'll have to reflow them to get it back in working order.

With the multitude of systems i've ever built and owned since early 1996... this is first for me.

Reply 6 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote:

I recently had an issue like that, and the problem turned out to be some hard to see corrosion on the CMOS battery holder's contact. I diagnosed it by putting my multimeter on the battery holder's contacts on the bottom of the motherboard and finding zero volts though it had a fresh battery.

Good call ! I had a older key FOB that used a coin cell and I replaced the battery and it didn't work, turned out the self sticky on backside of the cell left a clear (invisible) film on the cell and then on battery holder contacts. Cleaned with ISA alc and all was good.

Bige4u wrote:

i just checked the backside of the cmos battery holder posts on the motherboard and to my surprise, only .400v comes through showing on the dmm.... the solder joints appear to be correct, but slightly dull looking in appearence, i'll have to reflow them to get it back in working order.
With the multitude of systems i've ever built and owned since early 1996... this is first for me.

I would re-clean the cell and holder again too !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 11, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks again for everyones replies and suggestions.... i didnt have to resolder/reflow the battery holder connections from the back side of the motherboard after all.

After doing a thorough check first, i found there was a tiny bit of wierd gunk, not exactly corrosion, on the tip of the spring like contact that presses up against the middle part of the battery on the negative side, i cleaned it up with a fine wire brush till it looked good as new, then used some 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean both contacts on the front and back just for good measure, and now the dmm reads the full 3.1v from the battery on the backside, so now i should be good to go.

I bought the motherboard second hand, so the the gunk might have been, like mentioned, the sticky residue from a cmos battery sticker on the negative side from the owner before me, but not from the batteries i use, i buy the energizer ones that are loose in its package that has no protective sticker on either side.

Reply 8 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is Great ! I have some Energizers (dual coin packs) and they do have the sticker on back neg terminal, see the edge of the white tab in the picture. The last Duracell or Rayovac did too iirc

Attachments

• IMG_0686s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0686s.jpg
    File size
    109.95 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 11, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, i retract my previous statement about the backside sticker not being present when new. woops

I just had a look at a couple of brand new energizer single packs put aside for future projects, and i see the small white tag from the protective sticker showing from the edge of the battery like in your posted picture, i must have forgotten they were there.

So in short, the gunk might have come from my battery, but i dont think so, i've used these same batteries in other systems, installed them directly right after oppening the package, and the BIOS always kept its setting every time even when those other systems were totally disconnected and put away for the longest time, so there really wasnt any residue on my end that would cause such an interference, it apparently was already there, but i just didnt notice it until now.

EDIT - I put the system back together, turned it on, reset my BIOS settings, and it booted into windows just fine. I shut it back down and then unplugged the powercord completely from the psu, let it sit overnight for a few hours, turned it back on, the BIOS now retaining the settings like normal.

Reply 11 of 11, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
EPoX wrote:

Bige4u: do you happen to have the original driver cd that came with your Asus Tusl2-c ? i have been looking for an image for preservation purpose

Unfortunately i dont... i bought the motherboard second hand and nothing else came with it.