VOGONS

Reply 20 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:

Oh come-on....
20 years from now it will be a collectors item and some nut on ebay will give you $150 for it.

Before anyone laughs, look at people buying old Packard Bell gear.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 35, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey! Hey! Be nice.
I was looking for a Packard Bell while the site was down.........

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 22 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You see, I don't understand that. Does nobody else remember the agony that was dealing with PB?

Reply 23 of 35, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do remember.
They are crap and I hate them but I have an unusual motive for this one.
The PB I'm looking for was the -ONLY- prebuilt computer I ever bought -NEW- in my life.
It later became my son's first computer.
Fighting with that POS PB was what changed my path from working on cars and machines to working on computers.
It was an odd one and they don't show up often.
I'll probably never find one but I look periodically anyway.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 25 of 35, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I plan to restore it and gift it to my son. I don't see how "Stockholm Syndrome" fits.

I can see how it fits retro computing and gaming in general.
To me changing the hardware and drivers to make X game work then doing it again to make Y game work is ludicrous and "Stockholm Syndrome" is more fitting.
To each his own. I just like fixing old things and motherboards are a favorite.

Something I've never understood is why people will take a socket 7 and go through all sorts of pain and cost to beef it to 500-550MHz when P2 & P3 at that level are readily available and relatively cheap.
That made sense when P2 & P3 were new and pricey (especially if you already had a socket 7 board) but that hasn't been true for eons.
I can see it for people recreating something they had before (or beefing something they already have) but I keep seeing people go this route from the start without ever having had something like that.

Reply 26 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote on 2019-12-29, 18:45:

I plan to restore it and gift it to my son. I don't see how "Stockholm Syndrome" fits.

I'm implying suffering with a PB as your workstation breeds emotional dependence, but really I'm just busting your balls. This entire hobby is about tickling your fancy.

Reply 27 of 35, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I figured and I don't completely disagree. I was mostly just busting back.

I've never been so into games that I had a purpose built machine for them and it seems like a lot of people go through a lot of money and trouble to optimize things that are so minuscule that you need some software to detect the difference.

You see the same thing in automotive hobby circles where people will spend 100's or 1000's of dollars to squeeze out 5 or 10 more horsepower.

Reply 28 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote on 2019-12-29, 20:37:

I've never been so into games that I had a purpose built machine for them and it seems like a lot of people go through a lot of money and trouble to optimize things that are so minuscule that you need some software to detect the difference.

I'm pretty much in agreement here. My expense on retro gear is probably less than $50. A lot of the fun (for me) is being frugal.

Any word from our fearless OP, Appiah, or has he electrocuted himself?

Reply 29 of 35, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess whatever this retromania is, it is not totally different from Stockholm syndrome and other disorders.
Car tuning disorder is probably related, too.
I believe cat hoarders and computer hoarders are suffering from very similar causes.
Only the fact that cats are alive and computers do not create feces and urine leads to different handling.

And I have decided to collect the mains caps from the PSUs I discard.
I want to know the size of the hole that a 10000 microfarad discharge at 330V can burn into a screwdriver.

There exist few sane people on this world.
So I better be quiet in fear of the storms.

Reply 30 of 35, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

not much of a hole. As dangerous as it sounds, you are likely to get pinhead of a hole, and a black skid mark to go with it.

I speak from experience, I did this OFTEN as a kid. ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 31 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why stop there? You can make one of these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockcroft%E2%80 … alton_generator

Reply 32 of 35, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to put some of these around the house as part of an active security system but I was overruled by the wife unit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil
I think she just wanted a Glock.

Reply 33 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I take it she wouldn't like them as part of a home theatre setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgLZ_gl4mo

Reply 34 of 35, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I plan to restore it and gift it to my son.

Oh wow. What did he do wrong? haha ;-D

retardware wrote on 2019-12-30, 03:24:

Only the fact that cats are alive and computers do not create feces and urine leads to different handling.

The Packard Bell might.

I only kid, of course. 😀

Reply 35 of 35, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SirNickity wrote on 2019-12-30, 22:50:

I plan to restore it and gift it to my son.

Oh wow. What did he do wrong? haha ;-D

My coffee. It's all over my screen!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.