VOGONS

GA-5AA rev1.1 Manual Available?

Topic actions

First post, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got a GA-5AA mobo. I do not have a jp16 jumper available on the mobo as described in the manual. Seems like the manuals available on Gigabyte's site are too new. Does anyone have a manual available for rev1.1?
Thanks in advance.

P3B-F v1.03 | VIA C3 Nehemiah 1GHz @ 1.33GHz| 4x128 PC133 | GeForce4 Ti 4200 | OPL3-SA3+DreamBlaster X2GS

Reply 1 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GA-5AA 1.1 is identical to 2.2 revision, when it comes to jumpers: Gigabyte GA-5AA revision 1.1, 2.2 and 3.2 differences

Pretty much everything is labeled on PCB, so the manual is not required.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 27, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found the Gigabyte 5AA rev 2.2 manuals but not rev 1.1 (wayback did not save em).
added them to the driver library: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 27, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2019-12-28, 19:50:

GA-5AA 1.1 is identical to 2.2 revision, when it comes to jumpers: Gigabyte GA-5AA revision 1.1, 2.2 and 3.2 differences

Pretty much everything is labeled on PCB, so the manual is not required.

Thanks for that but is not having jp16 going to be a problem for a K6-2+-550? Seems like it's needed for some faster K6-III's and 2's in the manual for the later revisions.

Horun wrote on 2019-12-28, 19:56:

I found the Gigabyte 5AA rev 2.2 manuals but not rev 1.1 (wayback did not save em).

Yeah I tried WBM too but couldn't find 'em either.

P3B-F v1.03 | VIA C3 Nehemiah 1GHz @ 1.33GHz| 4x128 PC133 | GeForce4 Ti 4200 | OPL3-SA3+DreamBlaster X2GS

Reply 4 of 27, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Get the manuals I just uploaded. Instead of JP2 JP1 JP14 J16 for r3.2, the manual states JP2 JP1 JP14 SW1 for r2.2 for clock speed

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 27, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for that but is not having jp16 going to be a problem for a K6-2+-550

If you look carefully, you will notice that JP16 is substituted by SW1 on early revisions. But revision 1.1 might be not compatible with K6Plus. Most likely will only require official BIOS update though. Anyway, the manual from 2.2 is applicable to 1.1.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 27, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gca wrote on 2019-12-28, 21:33:

I think my GA-5AA is a rev 1.1, had it since new and I still have the manual. Looking for anything specific, I can dig it out and look it up.

Wow that would be amazing if you could try to scan it and upload it here on vogons if it is a 1.1.
I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll try to see if there is K6Plus support.

--EDIT--
Well, I really can't find any info on the web for revision 1.1 CPU support. Rev2.2 is what I'll go by I guess.

Reply 8 of 27, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found it, scanned (most of) it and here it is attached. I didn't bother scanning the BIOS section, didn't see much point in doing so. Besides near the end I was loosing the will to live (scanning things bores the hell out of me).

Quality isn't amazing (book vs. flatbed scanner, you know how it is) but appears to be legible enough.

Had to split the images into two files, was too large to attach as one apparently.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 27, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, thanks so much for that! Wonder if we can convert it to B&W, maybe line the pages up and then put it on the driver repo.

If I can't get it to work with the K6 Plus then I can either use a EEPROM programmer or I may have a Pentium MMX somewhere I can use to update the BIOS.

Reply 10 of 27, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On a side note, mine is running with a AMD K6/2 at 500MHz with 768MB memory (dual boot MS-DOS 6.22 & XP Pro), from what I can tell it maxes out at 550MHz. So far it has been very stable.

I updated the BIOS on mine many years ago (attached), not sure is this is last revision ever issued but its the one I use.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 27, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@gca You could try to use CamScanner app to get better filter options and simply take pictures of it : https://www.camscanner.com/user/download

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2019-12-31, 07:36. Edited 1 time in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 12 of 27, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2019-12-31, 07:19:

You could try to use CamScanner app to get better filter options and simply take pictures of it : https://www.camscanner.com/user/download

Oh wow, didn't know that existed! Maybe gca can reupload using that and a PDF converter. Would make an awesome contribution!

Anyways, I'm diagnosing the mobo now. It booted a couple times but now for some reason I can't get any CPU/GPU combo to display video. I have a hunch it may be trying to force video out of one of the PCI slots. I ordered a cheap Rage XL PCI card of the bay to test and see.
Man, if this is the way it's gonna be I may need to move on to another board. 🙁

Reply 13 of 27, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay I'll give Camscanner a try when I get a chance. Then import the images into LibreOffice and dump to PDF. Like I said when I get a chance, it won't be for a few days at the earliest.

As for the video issue, not seen that on my board. Even with the BIOS set to PCI video I got output from a AGP card just fine. Mind you, there are two ISA slots, maybe try a video card in there as a last ditch effort?

Reply 14 of 27, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On second thoughts, maybe not. Just installed Camscanner and it won't even allow me to use its free trial period without adding a payment method. Nope not going to happen, when apps do that its delete with extreme prejudice, sorry.

Reply 15 of 27, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gca wrote on 2019-12-31, 14:38:

On second thoughts, maybe not. Just installed Camscanner and it won't even allow me to use its free trial period without adding a payment method. Nope not going to happen, when apps do that its delete with extreme prejudice, sorry.

Oh yeah, ew. I hear ya. Oh well, it's the thought that counts right?

Reply 16 of 27, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I hate it when they do that. Having looked at the reviews that app has gone very downhill lately.

Not sure how to improve on the current scans. They are readable enough (I hope) so I guess it will have to do for now. Its just awkward to get the manual onto the scan bed in a consistent enough way to get good scans without tearing it apart.... an no I'm not doing that.

Reply 17 of 27, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm an idiot. Turns out the VGA cable was not seated properly on the monitor side. It was in enough to get a ground signal so the monitor looked like it was hooked up all the way... Doh!

Anyways, Installed Win98SE with a Pentium MMX 233 and updated the BIOS to F7b, but I can't get the damn thing to boot with a K6-2+-500. I have the FSB set to 100, voltage 2.0, and multiplier x5... Not getting anything. It may be a memory issue (PC133, 256MB).