VOGONS

First post, by MadDog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have had this old Gateway2000 386sx 16mhz computer for many years.
I cant find the motherboard or computer manual or schematics anywhere and im unsure if those damaged traces are effecting anything because certain programs will lock the whole computer up with the only option to hard reset.

The only thing ive found is a service type manual for for the chipset.

Mother board pictures https://imgur.com/a/DQy7ytT
POST screen images https://imgur.com/a/2WQlJq5
pictures were too big to upload to vogons, sorry

Last edited by MadDog on 2020-01-02, 00:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remove that battery ASAP, shoot some photos of the affected area, clean it with vinegar then isopropyl alcohol and shoot some more photos.
The damage looks minimal but there are small traces underneath the battery that are likely gone and need repair.

Reply 2 of 10, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2019-12-31, 05:33:

Remove that battery ASAP, shoot some photos of the affected area, clean it with vinegar then isopropyl alcohol and shoot some more photos.
The damage looks minimal but there are small traces underneath the battery that are likely gone and need repair.

^^ this, big chance the KB connector is green completely from the inside too. And those traces are mostly repairable, but small diodes below next to it might get eaten by the acid too..

Reply 3 of 10, by MadDog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies i did check for continuity on those 3 big traces that look basically gone or totally exposed and it seems good, i already ordered a soldering iron it should come in less than a week.

Hopefully i can fix whatever issues the motherboard has without too much alteration or work.

Reply 4 of 10, by MadDog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Soldering iron should be here tomorrow or the day after, but is there any way to identify who made this motherboard?

EDIT: wow they are really taking their time shipping my soldering iron 😒

EDIT2: Soldering iron came in 2 days ago, im preparing to remove the battery and take pictures tommorrow (wish me luck, any tips would be highly appreciated)

Reply 6 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you made out ok, doesn't look like any of the traces are ruined, but you need to buzz out the smaller traces on either side of the big 3 as well

Reply 7 of 10, by MadDog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-01-11, 02:53:

I think you made out ok, doesn't look like any of the traces are ruined, but you need to buzz out the smaller traces on either side of the big 3 as well

What do you mean by buzz out?

Reply 8 of 10, by MadDog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now that the battery is removed and the traces look okay, there is one thing i havent been able to figure out.

I have a ULSI MathCo 387sx rated for 25mhz that will not work correctly in this motherboard, sometimes when i boot it, it will detect the math coprocessor but it will not work correctly, and other times it will not detect it in the bios, but software i run to check it says its installed but not installed at the same time when its not detected by the bios(Ill have to get an example of this)

But the worst part is, when its detected, alot of software and games don't run, it will just halt at the command prompt. And when its not detected but is in the motherboard, there is still alot of software that will just halt.

Reply 9 of 10, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"ensx-1220-121589-K8" normally the 1220 bit would give the manufacturer but as yet this one is not known.
"Friend 386SX" does not give any hits either.
What might help is the Gateway model number, there is an ever so smal chance they or someone else documented the system, not the motherboard as such.

Reply 10 of 10, by MadDog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-05-06, 08:00:

"ensx-1220-121589-K8" normally the 1220 bit would give the manufacturer but as yet this one is not known.
"Friend 386SX" does not give any hits either.
What might help is the Gateway model number, there is an ever so smal chance they or someone else documented the system, not the motherboard as such.

Ill throw up some pics of the numbers on the case soon