VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, is there a way to use the xbox 360 usb joypad natively under DOS, for example with X-Wing ??? My Pentium2 has the usb port directly on the mainboard. I guess you can use dosbox, but I would like to stay in the realm of pure DOS.
tnks

Reply 1 of 6, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably not. Theres no USB joystick drivers that I am aware of. But even if there was one, you would need some kind of TSR shim to emulate the USB driver as a game port, that also doesn't exist.

There maybe some USB to game port adapter that exists, but they are for connecting gameport joysticks to usb not the other way around.

Reply 3 of 6, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the old Logitech Wingman Software (LWS) worked with DOS games in Windows 9x. I don't know if it works with non-Logitech controllers though.

With all the USB-enabled microcontrollers out there, an ISA game card with USB ports would be a cool project. You could make it appear to the PC like a normal game port, with the option to remap buttons.

Reply 4 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Plasma wrote on 2020-01-10, 02:45:

I think the old Logitech Wingman Software (LWS) worked with DOS games in Windows 9x. I don't know if it works with non-Logitech controllers though.

With all the USB-enabled microcontrollers out there, an ISA game card with USB ports would be a cool project. You could make it appear to the PC like a normal game port, with the option to remap buttons.

LWS along with Logitch F310 works like a charm in Windows 98.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.