VOGONS

AMD K7 "goldfinger" cloning thread

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 256, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A little disappointed in the solder mask thickness on these boards. Usually it isn't like this from my other JLCPCB orders. Buuuuut, it turned out pretty good overall.

EYEPC0Y.jpg

W2JtDyO.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 124 of 256, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well everyone, what a journey! Thanks for everyone who helped make this possible. We now have a working Golden Fingers Device for the first time in over 20 years!

It works for adjusting multiplier on a 700MHz Thunderbird on a FIC SD-11. In my quick testing the voltage likely works too since when I set it for 1.45V it doesn't POST but the board doesn't have any voltage monitoring in the BIOS. I'll do some research and see if I can find what pins to measure on the CPU itself.

These PCBs are larger than the original (not that it matters). JLCPCB did a great job on the SMD soldering. I'll get the BOM and pick and place file uploaded here shortly.

Attachments

Reply 125 of 256, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And what we've all been waiting for:

IMG_6884.jpg
Filename
IMG_6884.jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File comment
Default 700MHz
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Attachments

• IMG_6887.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6887.jpg
    File size
    1.22 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    1/2 Multipliers work too
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_6886.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6886.jpg
    File size
    1.2 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Up to 800MHz
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMG_6885.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6885.jpg
    File size
    1.17 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Down to 600MHz
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 131 of 256, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Attached is a ZIP file with the XLSX file for BOM and a CSV file for the pick and place components. These are verified working with JLCPCB (it's what I used for my order).

Also good news, I fixed my Abit KA7-100 I bought with the original Ninja - voltage controls work as well!! They do read 0.05V higher than what they are set for, not sure if that's the design of the device or just this motherboard.

I do have complete parts to make 20 of these devices right now. I have 19 available for interested people. I can assemble or provide the parts for self-assembly. PM me for details for now, I know the forum doesn't like sales.

Edit: uploaded correct BOM

Attachments

Last edited by gbeirn on 2021-03-16, 23:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 132 of 256, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's OK to post community projects like this, just not commercial sales, one off items or auctions.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 133 of 256, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the spirit of openness, here is my upfront cost so far:

Screenshot (217).png
Filename
Screenshot (217).png
File size
45.57 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'd like to try and come close to breaking even but don't mind a slight loss to Vogon's members since I will walk away with a repaired KA7 motherboard and a couple of CPUs I bought for testing (I killed a 850MHz during the Northwind experiments). Also this has been fun and I've learned a lot. So the devices are $25/ea +shipping. First class via USPS to the UK/Netherlands is $16.50 (I imagine other EU countries are similar). Domestic US is less of course, PM for a quote. You can also specify if you want a different LED color than the original red, I also have green or yellow. It will be a fairly small package and include a copy of the original jumper settings. Depending on interest I may do another batch or put them up on eBay (slightly more to cover fees).

3 are shipped, 1 is spoken for so 16 remain.

Attachments

Last edited by gbeirn on 2021-03-16, 20:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 134 of 256, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the dedication gbeirn. You've helped out a lot with testing this project and providing the JLCPCB pick&place if people are uncomfortable with SMD soldering. 😀

Someone should go update the CPU-World thread to let them know there's a design they can build now, since they've been waiting a few years. 😜

My Github

Reply 135 of 256, by t4ker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for sharing the gerber, BOM and CPL files 😀. I tried to order the pcbs via jlcpcb. I used the gerber files which wiretap shared and the BOM / CPL of gbeirn. I chose SMT assembly via jlcpcb and uploaded the BOM / CPL but if i want to proceed i get following failure: "There is no SMD part on Top Side, please go back to re-upload files or choose to assemble the other side." Of course I chose the solder side in the previous step. What got wrong? I would really appreciate if you guys help me. Thanks in advance!

Reply 136 of 256, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
t4ker wrote on 2021-03-16, 22:48:

Thanks for sharing the gerber, BOM and CPL files 😀. I tried to order the pcbs via jlcpcb. I used the gerber files which wiretap shared and the BOM / CPL of gbeirn. I chose SMT assembly via jlcpcb and uploaded the BOM / CPL but if i want to proceed i get following failure: "There is no SMD part on Top Side, please go back to re-upload files or choose to assemble the other side." Of course I chose the solder side in the previous step. What got wrong? I would really appreciate if you guys help me. Thanks in advance!

I think I uploaded the uncorrected BOM list, I reuploaded the correct one to the post above, please try that.

Reply 137 of 256, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
t4ker wrote on 2021-03-16, 22:48:

Yeah I also noticed that the BOM was the wrong one, but if it's updated now, that should work well.
I intend to order a batch of 10 Ninjamicro Clone PCBs + parts once I find some time (very busy with work and other non-retro things at the moment). I currently have 8 edge connectors left (2 went to Doornkaat for his prototype). So there will be at least 5 Ninjamicro clones (partially or fully assembled) available for interested users in Europe. One of them is already promised to Deksor (who started this thread and reached out to me very early). They will probably be the cheaper option due to lower shipping costs.
If demand is high enough I suggest one of us in Europe makes another batch...

My retro computers

Reply 138 of 256, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty thrilled there's a functioning Ninjamicro clone now! Funny how it took so long for somebody to actually make a new GFD when wiretap was able to create one in only a few weeks with a little help from a few people without ever holding a GFD in his hands. 😁 Great job!👍

I'm still waiting on my passive prototype PCBs to arrive. I got my shipping notification from JLCPCB on the 9th. Does anybody have experience with EuroPacket? I got a tracking number that doesn't seem to work anywhere. Does anyone know where I can use this number? It's supposed to arrive in 8-10 days so in theory it should be here by the end of the week so I can validate my schematics.

I have already redesigned the board to be as small as possible (ca.36*23mm) while keeping compatibility with switches from multiple vendors.
The switches are smaller than the connector so if anybody else is interested in this, would you rather have the switches

-on the right (towards the edge of the CPU package) with the cutout on the left,

Rev. 1.2.jpg
Filename
Rev. 1.2.jpg
File size
12.16 KiB
Views
File comment
right
File license
Public domain

Rev. 1.1.jpg
Filename
Rev. 1.1.jpg
File size
12.53 KiB
Views
File comment
left
File license
Public domain

Rev. 1.0.jpg
Filename
Rev. 1.0.jpg
File size
12.8 KiB
Views
File comment
middle
File license
Public domain

Reply 139 of 256, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks neat. 😜

For the tracking number for things coming out of China, I usually use 17track.net -- they cover a lot of shipping companies.

My Github