VOGONS

First post, by JimUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I recently acquired an old T4900CT laptop from my dad (he was using it as a decoy laptop in case of burglars) And I plugged it in and it worked straight away!

However I don't own any floppy disks or have any floppy disk drives on any of my windows 10 pcs, so I was struggling to find a way of transferring files to and from the laptop. I do however have a USB to IDE / PATA cable, so I disconnected the HDD from the laptop, hooked it up to my PC and hoped for the best. I could hear the drive spinning up, where it would show a few files in explorer, then spin down again and kept repeating this. So I unplugged and tried a different (powered USB HUB) port. However unplugging the drive seemed to break it, as I could no longer see the drive in windows, or in the T4900CT laptop 🙁

It seems the reason it was spinning up and down was insufficient power to the drive via the PATA connection, so I borrowed a powered cable from work and have managed to recover mid to late 90s photos and files from the drive.

To replace the drive i've bought an mSATA to PATA adapter to use a 32GB mSATA as the new hard drive, however I'm now struggling to find a way of getting an operating system back onto the machine without a floppy drive.

I thought it would be easy to create a bootable drive with the msdos 6.22 and windows 95 setup files ready to install, but I seem to be really struggling. Will I have to give up and resort to buying a 3 1/2" floppy drive and disks just to be able to create a boot disk?

It also seems now that after trying to use an msdos boot disk image to create a bootable partition that my PC only recognises the first 4gb of space and windows disk management or MiniTool Partition Wizard doesn't recognise the unallocated space!

Any ideas would be appreciated because I seem to be digging myself into a hole.

Thanks

Jim

Reply 1 of 5, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The drive in my T4900CT was jammed up as well - I slammed it sideways against my desk to dislodge the motor as it was spinning up and it revived!

The floppy drive on that thing I think has a belt, the one on mine doesn't work either. It detects okay but just makes funny noises when I try to read disks.
Maybe a hard drive image / win32diskimager image from a compact flash with something that the T4900CT can boot with?
My usual solution for these is to put a CF card into a laptop with a working floppy drive, fdisk it, "format /s" and that should then be bootable. From that point, you can copy over the Win95 installation files to get it up and running.

Also, take off the palm rest, around where the laptop hinge is, there's a standby NIMH battery that can (and did on mine) leak onto the PCB, damaging the video card connection. I recommend removing that 😁
The CMOS battery is a little rechargeable lithium battery though, that one's safe.

edit: if you have a working boot drive, use Macrium Reflect or Acronis TrueImage to clone that original drive onto the MSata SSD, that should get things working for you 😀

Reply 2 of 5, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use a CF card (2 GB) and a CF to 2.5 inch IDE adapter. Get a USB to CF adapter to transfer files to the card.

But you'll still need a DOS floppy to transfer the system files to the card. And as Thermalwrong said your floppy drive likely has a busted belt. You can buy them on eBay.

Edit: Your mSATA idea would probably work too but you will be limited in the capacity you can use. But you'll never use more than 2 gigs or so with this laptop anyway.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 5, by JimUK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I keep coming back to this laptop and have been struggling to get anything on it. I currently have a PATA SSD 16gb partitioned to 4GB on it, but at the moment it's useless as without a working floppy drive i'm unable to do anything!

Does anyone know what model floppy drive I could replace this with? I'm sure I read a post somewhere, where someone bought a USB floppy drive, removed the floppy and installed that, but I can't find the post anymore.

Thanks

Jim

Reply 5 of 5, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The drive is specific to just mid 90s Toshiba laptops as far as I remember. Sadly I didn't take pictures when I last had mine in pieces, but the belt on mine is bad too, I think it's a Citizen W1D possibly. I printed up some replacement belts which worked on other drives, but the 4900CT's floppy is still bad 😀 It's a lot of fiddly work to replace that belt.

You can do this a different way though, PCMCIA storage is supported in Windows 95 without requiring even a driver disk to set up, so you can use a PCMCIA > Compact Flash adapter and read the CF card via USB to move files around. Much easier than a floppy drive I've found, which is why the 4900CT (still running its original HD) still has a broken floppy drive.