VOGONS

First post, by Comos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask the owners of a PCChips M919 (Elpina) v3.4 B/F if their succeed with their BIOS update.Tried several times via the original AMI update utility which was able to identify the EEPROM as SST29EE010, but during update it just failed.
Then I tried also UniFlash, but this tool was unable even to detect the EEPROM type, so no luck either.I made the inspection of the board, where the jumpers are correctly set and no traces broken around the BIOS socket, so I have suspicion that the EEPROM might have a write protection, which is possible according to the datasheet.In the worst case I'll swap it with SST39SF010A which I have also on my PVI-486SP3 and should work from the principle.

any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a M919 v3.4 B/F and it's eprom says: "M919 3-6, 9622 C65SG" under the AMIbios label (# B141873). The flash jumper JP2 is set for 12v on my board, your SST29EE010 runs on 5v as do many but may need 12v to actually program it (will have to read the datasheet). Sorry but I have no need to flash the rom but will check it with Uniflash v1.4 to see if it can detect the eeprom type. Will take a while as the board was just pulled out of antistatic bag because it was in storage.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unknown type off the board ! Ok so put rom into a trusted 3com 905tx nic on another motherboard (to see if the 919 board is write protecting) and got same Unknown Type.
Maybe one of the others can help...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 13, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BastlerMike wrote on 2020-01-28, 05:33:

original M919 bios chips with "M919..." print are not flashable.

I could flash the BIOS of my original M919 v3.4B/F just fine. Also, I've never seen an M919 with a BIOS chip that says "M919" on it. If it does, it's probably *not* original. The BIOS should be a flash chip (EEPROM) with an ordinary "AMIBIOS" sticker on it.

Reply 5 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just like they liked to remark chipsets, PCChips loved to remark bios chips. If you have an EPROM programmer like a TL866, you may be able to find out which chip it is : select a similar chip from the era, then there's a function to get the chip's id. If you find it, please send it to me.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-01-28, 14:21:

Just like they liked to remark chipsets, PCChips loved to remark bios chips. If you have an EPROM programmer like a TL866, you may be able to find out which chip it is : select a similar chip from the era, then there's a function to get the chip's id. If you find it, please send it to me.

I need to replace my aged CT's clone card (it will not work with 28pin chips), do you have a suggestion of where to get a real TL866 for the lowest price ?

Reply 7 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-28, 12:13:
BastlerMike wrote on 2020-01-28, 05:33:

original M919 bios chips with "M919..." print are not flashable.

I could flash the BIOS of my original M919 v3.4B/F just fine. Also, I've never seen an M919 with a BIOS chip that says "M919" on it. If it does, it's probably *not* original. The BIOS should be a flash chip (EEPROM) with an ordinary "AMIBIOS" sticker on it.

Here is a pic of the BIOS on my board, yes very odd to not have regular eeprom manufacture printing. The AMI sticker covered most of the odd M919 printing.

Attachments

Reply 12 of 13, by Gameoverman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Comos wrote on 2020-02-01, 17:15:

I have found out,that I have few brand new SST 29EE010, so made a hotflash with the last update and works like a charm.

so that SST29EE010 worked in the board no issues same pin out ?

Reply 13 of 13, by Comos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gameoverman wrote on 2023-04-20, 01:09:
Comos wrote on 2020-02-01, 17:15:

I have found out,that I have few brand new SST 29EE010, so made a hotflash with the last update and works like a charm.

so that SST29EE010 worked in the board no issues same pin out ?

yes, they both have the same JEDEC pinout.