VOGONS

First post, by Smurfswacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm nervous about posting here since I am just a couple of steps above newbie technically, though as a user and "fiddler" I go way back. I hope one of the more patient members can help me with some basic questions. My beloved Olivetti M24's hard drive suddenly crashed. The "Fixed Disk Ready" message at boot became "Not Ready" and the drive disappeared.

The drive was a 10 MB Shugart MFM. I'd had no problems with it until its demise, but I realize MFM drives don't last forever and I guess the Shugart's time had come. I can't afford the high ebay prices for MFM drives and besides, I'd just end up with another very old drive that would soon kick the bucket. So I bought an XT-IDE card hoping I could use it with one of my smaller IDE drives. However the M24 doesn't recognize the card. All the videos I've seen show an XT-IDE menu at boot but all I see are the standard M24 boot messages. I pulled the old MFM controller in case it was conflicting with the card, but no change.

After extensive googling I've found suggestions that the latest version of the XT-IDE card, revision 4, may have compatibility issues with an M24. My card is a revision 4, jumpered for "Compatible" mode. Has anyone got one of these cards to work on an M24? Do I need to find an earlier revision? Finally, is there a thorough "how to use this thing" manual for XT-IDE cards? All the material I've found online assumes you already have the card working . I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Reply 1 of 11, by sonicexenia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Intanto guarda questo. Non c ė nessun problema di incompatibilità , l' unica incompatibilità é con il Chuck mode, che sii può disabilitare sulla normale xtide e anche sulla lite non é attivo. Il tuo é un problema di dip switch sulla xtide o sull m24. Ciao
---
Meanwhile, look at this. There is no incompatibility problem, the only incompatibility is with Chuck mode, which can be disabled on the normal xtide and also on the dispute is not active. Yours is a dip switch problem on the xtide or m24. Goodbye

https://youtu.be/AGBehOsn-No

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-02-06, 21:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by 1ST1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It should work. There are several peoples with M24 and XTIDE. Me, too, but it's older revision of the board. You may come over to http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?2 … -PCs-and-Clones - there are many guys knowing the M21, M24, M24SP, AT&T 6300, Xerox 606x, Logabax Persona 1600...

What you need to to in any case, there is a dip switch on the maninboard, which selects for internal harddisk bios and controller add on card bios. This one must be switched over. See Olivetti pocket service guide, which is available on a few websites about M24 / 6300.

I love M24, too, I have severall ones (m21, M24, M24SP, M240).

Filename
cap1.pdf
File size
66.06 KiB
Downloads
71 downloads
File comment
Pocket Service Guide chapter one (M21/24)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 11, by Smurfswacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Grazie, Sonicexenia, per l'aiuto. Ma che cos'è "Chuck mode?" è questo il modo "hi speed"? Ho rimosso il jumper J2 per scegliere il modo "compat" ma non mi ha aiuto. Sulla motherboard ho trovato un dip-switch nel Grupo 1 (sw #3--EPROM-BIOS) che sceglie tra "ROM HDU System board" e "ROM HDU EXTERNAL." Modificarne non ho fatto nulla.
---
Thanks, Sonicexenia, for the help. But what is "Chuck mode?" is this the "hi speed" way? I removed the J2 jumper to choose the "compat" mode but it doesn't help me. On the motherboard I found a dip-switch in Group 1 (sw # 3 - EPROM-BIOS) which chooses between "ROM HDU System board" and "ROM HDU EXTERNAL." I haven't done anything to change it.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-02-07, 23:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by Smurfswacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1ST1, thank you for the link to the M24 manual. I found a switch in Group 1, EPROM-BIOS, which chooses between "ROM HDU System Board" and "ROM HDU External." However changing this setting didn't do anything. I will enquire at the vcfed forum to see if anyone there has more info. I bought the XT-IDE card new; is it possible the card is defective? How do I find out?

Reply 7 of 11, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
I have a M24 as well now, but no BUS Card, it has only a single 8Bit ISA Board (Used for an MFM Card Controller)

Anybody know if an XT IDE can work with the BIOS Rev 1.1 ?

If the XT IDE is not in the compatibility mode, does it display anything anyway ?
(When I use the XT IDE, nothing is visible)

Reply 8 of 11, by Vogstefan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Smurfswacker Did you ever succeed ? Because I have just got a rev.4 working in my M21 (the "mobile" version of the M24) using a DOM of 64MB.

Did set it to external ROM HDU, left it at 300h (eventhough the manual reads 320h), reflashed it to the latest firmware (2021-08), partitioned, formatted and the most imporant thing, did fdisk /mbr (without this it wouldn't boot).
Ow and still in compatibility mode.

Reply 9 of 11, by _Krille_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only reason to jumper the card to compatibility mode is if you want to use older versions of XTIDE Universal BIOS or the BIOS made by hargle. To be honest, I don't see why anyone would want to do that. If you are using a newer version of XUB then configure the XTIDE card to use high speed mode (aka Chuck(G) mode), then install it in the machine. Run XTIDECFG.COM from floppy, load a suitable BIOS file, then select 'Auto Configure'. It should be detected as an "XTIDE rev 2 (Olivetti M24)" device type. Then flash it and you're done. The performance should be about 10%-12% higher compared to compatibility mode.

See more here: https://www.xtideuniversalbios.org

Reply 11 of 11, by _Krille_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vogstefan wrote on 2021-09-01, 16:45:

@Krille I know it can be better but getting it working first should be priority

You're not making sense here. You do realize that compatibility mode doesn't make it any more likely to work than high speed mode? It's just a somewhat poor choice of wording on the PCB.