VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went through my storage recently and happened to come across my first gaming laptop from year 2005. It is acer ferrari 4005wlmi.
Anyone has any idea if it has any retro potential? Like could I install older OS than winXP like win9x to it and get drivers for chipset and video chip and get older directX working in it? One of the biggest problems with win9x could be that it has 2Gb of ram. 2 sticks of 1Gb each, so since I don't have other similar sticks of ram getting it down to 512Mb for win9x might be a problem.

Reply 1 of 2, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, awesome machine you got there 😀

If I were you I would stick with win XP since it will run most of win 98 se software and since this laptop doesn't have dos compatible sound card.

Also with Win Xp you are not limited to 512 MB ram.

Hope it helps 😀

Edit :

Also the gpu is fully DirectX 9 compatible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 2 of 2, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah, I understand that running winxp is the main thing this laptop is meant to do, but I was wondering if there are any other options.
Problem with Winxp is that pretty much anything you can run on winxp pc you can also run on modern windows 7 pc. Main reason for a retro PC is that you can run software that you would not be able to otherwise.