VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 486 mobo which I'd like to put inside a case, and wondered what my options are?
I am looking for a case that has approximately 5 or 6 "front bay" panel/slots. (For things like CD-ROM, floppy, etc.)
(I'd love to have something in that area to display the CPU speed, and perhaps a temperature reading too.)
Other requirements would be to have a turbo button somewhere, alongside the power button, of course. 😉
I understand the main couple of problems are:
- A more modern case might not have the correctly positioned / aligned mobo "mount screw holes" (for want of a better phrase), to fix the mobo in to place, against the bottom of the case.
- And perhaps more importantly, on the back of the case, the AT-style backplate I/O shield would be a problem - for instance, how would I get the larger AT-style sized keyboard 5-pin socket port to fit correctly there, and to look "normal" back there, without having unusual looking gaps, etc.
Any comments greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Reply 4 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Way I have done this is I buy little nuts that standoffs will screw into. So instead of screwing my standoffs into the motherboard tray. I drill a hole for them to go in then secure them in place by nut on the back side of the tray. It works fine. You can even get nylon lock nuts so they don't back out or thread locker juice.

Reason for this is its pretty hard to line up perfectly and this gives you a ton of wiggle room to get it perfect.
I line up the board in the case by installing expansion cards and I make sure they are not twisting at an angle, up and down strait and side to side. Then i mark my initial holes.

Reply 5 of 5, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was thinking Dremel or other rotary tool, blank I/O shield, drill, and tap for making threaded standoff holes. As for mounting plates for a turbo switch, the aforementioned 3D printing may do, but a push-button toggle switch and LED shouldn't be hard to mount on a bay cover made of more sturdy materials.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.