VOGONS

First post, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have bought a PCI Sata controller. It's a silicon 3114 from Delock.

It recognises both the SSD and the DVD burner in the silicon 3114 bios, but I still can't use the DVD burner afterwards. What can I do to make it work?

The DVD burner does work when I install a direct IDE to SATA converter, but when I use a pci controller, it doesn't.

System:

Pentium 3 1.4 ghz
512 MB Ram

Reply 1 of 20, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So with the right one the DVD burner works, with the left one it doesn't.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 20, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you say it doesn't work, how exactly? -

- can't boot from the DVD burner
- not recognised by the OS
- can't burn media

Which BIOS is installed on the card - the RAID one or the BASE one. Have you tried them both? (available here https://www.delock.com/produkte/736_SATA---eS … 54/treiber.html)

Reply 4 of 20, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-02-05, 18:25:

This may sound like a dumb question but you did install the driver for the card, right?

Also what OS and motherboard are you using?

Well, I don't have a DVD drive, so I can't install any drivers.

Motherboard: QDI Legend Advance 10T

Last edited by Tiemen on 2020-02-05, 18:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 20, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-02-05, 18:31:
When you say it doesn't work, how exactly? - […]
Show full quote

When you say it doesn't work, how exactly? -

- can't boot from the DVD burner
- not recognised by the OS
- can't burn media

Which BIOS is installed on the card - the RAID one or the BASE one. Have you tried them both? (available here https://www.delock.com/produkte/736_SATA---eS … 54/treiber.html)

Not recognised by the OS, and also not before that. When I use a windows 98 startup disk, it doesn't recognise it, so I can't install Windows 98.

And in the bios of the raid in does recognise it, so it's very weird.

Let me check you other questions, one moment.

Reply 6 of 20, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The BIOS

So it recognizes both, but only the ssd works afterwards.

And I don't know how to flash the BIOS to be honest. Would that help? Because it recognises the ssd, so the DVD should also work right?

Attachments

Reply 7 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait, do I get this right:
-You were going to use the DVD drive to install your OS. You don't have an OS installed yet.
-You can't install the OS because the DVD drive isn't recognised after booting DOS from the Win98 boot floppy when connected to the SATA card.
-The DVD drive is recognised in DOS (Win98 boot floppy) when using an IDE-SATA adaptor.
-The SSD runs fine on the SATA card.
If this is true use the DVD drive on the IDE-SATA adaptor to install Win98 and drivers for the SATA card. Then turn off your computer and connect the DVD drive to the SATA card. Will the DVD drive be recognised in OS?

Reply 8 of 20, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like you have the RAID BIOS installed

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 9 of 20, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-02-05, 19:04:
Wait, do I get this right: - 1 .You were going to use the DVD drive to install your OS. You don't have an OS installed yet. -2. […]
Show full quote

Wait, do I get this right:
- 1 .You were going to use the DVD drive to install your OS. You don't have an OS installed yet.
-2. You can't install the OS because the DVD drive isn't recognised after booting DOS from the Win98 boot floppy when connected to the SATA card.
-3. The DVD drive is recognised in DOS (Win98 boot floppy) when using an IDE-SATA adaptor.
-4. The SSD runs fine on the SATA card.
If this is true use the DVD drive on the IDE-SATA adaptor to install Win98 and drivers for the SATA card. Then turn off your computer and connect the DVD drive to the SATA card. Will the DVD drive be recognised in OS?

1. I have windows 98 installed, but I want to make sure I can install everything when nothing is installed. I have to be able to reïnstall everything.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

'If this is true use the DVD drive on the IDE-SATA adaptor to install Win98 and drivers for the SATA card. Then turn off your computer and connect the DVD drive to the SATA card. Will the DVD drive be recognised in OS?'

It doesn't get recognised in windows 98.

And again, I need to be able to reïnstall everything when I want to, without using the IDE-SATA adapter. I only want to use that one when nothing else works and then it's going to be in there permanently.

I want to connect both SATA devices on the PCI card, without using the IDE-SATA adapter. I have to use less cables, it is much nicer.

Reply 10 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, dude. As matze79 already said you have the RAID BIOS installed and it may well be the root of your problems.
Attatched are the flash tool with description and what I believe to be the non-RAID-BIOS. Flash that and see if it works.

Attachments

• Filename
    SiI3114_5500.zip
    File size
    29.29 KiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    SiFlashTool.zip
    File size
    26.81 KiB
    Downloads
    38 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 20, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there an option in the motherboard BIOS to boot from add-in or SCSI card; if there is then set it so that boot priority is pointing to the card.

Don't see one, but check if there's a 'set boot device' (or similar) option in the BIOS of the SATA card. Although you've got the SSD on port 1 & the DVD on port 3, I don't think the order matters here.

As @matze79 says, you currently have the RAID BIOS installed (although you don't seem to need it for any RAID arrays) but although you could try the BASE (non-RAID) BIOS, normally the RAID BIOS allows pass-thru operation for non-RAID devices such as optical drives.

EDIT: Also have a look here to see if any suggestions help Booting from a Sil3114

Reply 12 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure it is somewhat common knowledge that the PCI SATA RAID cards generally do not work with optical drives. Flash it with the non-RAID BIOS and you may be in luck.

The being said, I would never trust a SIL based card for much of anything. I have tried numerous ones and just like the same brand controllers on older motherboards they are super buggy.

Anything from general flakiness, to data corruption, to not working at all.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 20, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, thanks a lot for all your help 🙂

I tried to update the BIOS, but I didn't succeed.

It isn't necessary anymore. I tried reinstalling windows 98, and I got a data error. With Cyclone3d's message in my head I thought to myself that this isn't worth it.

Besides, I wanted to use a new sata DVD drive because of the noise, but the difference isn't that big. And I can still use the sata IDE adapter if I really want to use it.

It's a shame though, because I had the idea that the pci sata card was faster than the adapter (for SSD speed), but I think that's because of sata cables instead of IDE Pata cables.

Anyway, thanks 🙂

Last edited by Tiemen on 2020-02-05, 22:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I try to only use the Promise PCI SATA controllers. For win9x you want the SATA 1 - 150 controller. The newer ones do not have drivers available for Win9x.

The Promise based cards are the only ones that I have found that just work and haven't given me any problems like the SIL and VIA ones do.

It will be faster than the IDE controller unless your onboard controller is ATA-133... maybe not a lot for a DVD drive, but for HDD/SSD they are great.

I also just use the IDE port for optical drives since it isn't going to matter that much anyway. The IDE to SATA adapters work fine.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 20, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-05, 22:15:
I try to only use the Promise PCI SATA controllers. For win9x you want the SATA 1 - 150 controller. The newer ones do not have d […]
Show full quote

I try to only use the Promise PCI SATA controllers. For win9x you want the SATA 1 - 150 controller. The newer ones do not have drivers available for Win9x.

The Promise based cards are the only ones that I have found that just work and haven't given me any problems like the SIL and VIA ones do.

It will be faster than the IDE controller unless your onboard controller is ATA-133... maybe not a lot for a DVD drive, but for HDD/SSD they are great.

I also just use the IDE port for optical drives since it isn't going to matter that much anyway. The IDE to SATA adapters work fine.

If I use a Promise like you said, is it just as reliable as the IDE port for SSD? Because I definitely experienced the SSD to be a lot faster with the Sata controller.

And is there a 6GBS variant instead of 1.5? Would that be even more faster? (edit: I think I already found out that would be useless, because you would be capped with something. And that's Sata 2 (I believe?) and as you said that wouldn't work with win98se)

Reply 16 of 20, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2017-04-21, 04:42:
The PCI SATA controllers work just fine. […]
Show full quote

The PCI SATA controllers work just fine.

The ones with the Promise S150 chipset are good. TX2 (2 sata) or TX4 (4 sata)

The SX4 one will NOT work with anything below 2000/XP

There are also a few other ones that support 98SE, and should work fine in DOS as well, I just have't actually tested them myself.

SSDs make them fly 😁

I think I already got my answer 😀

Reply 17 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiemen wrote on 2020-02-05, 22:34:
I try to only use the Promise PCI SATA controllers. For win9x you want the SATA 1 - 150 controller. The newer ones do not have d […]
Show full quote

If I use a Promise like you said, is it just as reliable as the IDE port for SSD? Because I definitely experienced the SSD to be a lot faster with the Sata controller.

And is there a 6GBS variant instead of 1.5? Would that be even more faster? (edit: I think I already found out that would be useless, because you would be capped with something. And that's Sata 2 (I believe?) and as you said that wouldn't work with win98se)

With PCI 33Mhz, you are capped at a theoretical speed of 133MB/s. SATA 1 is max 150MB/s.

The are no SATA 2 or SATA 3 controllers that have driver support for Win9x. Sure they will work, but you will be limited to compatibility mode in Win9x so there is no point. Plus there is no point to even have more than a SATA 1 PCI controller unless the PCI bus is running at 66Mhz.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 20, by Tiemen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-06, 00:08:
Tiemen wrote on 2020-02-05, 22:34:
Show full quote

With PCI 33Mhz, you are capped at a theoretical speed of 133MB/s. SATA 1 is max 150MB/s.

The are no SATA 2 or SATA 3 controllers that have driver support for Win9x. Sure they will work, but you will be limited to compatibility mode in Win9x so there is no point. Plus there is no point to even have more than a SATA 1 PCI controller unless the PCI bus is running at 66Mhz.

Thanks! Learned a lot today, and also thanks to other guys here ofcourse!

I liked the improved speed of the SSD. So I'm going with this one

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Promise-FastTrack-S15 … utorefresh=true

Maybe this one will even support optical drives. Probably not, but let's hope so 😀

Reply 19 of 20, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Under Win98 and with any Pentium III CPU I'd be really suprised if there was a relevant difference between integrated 100MB/s IDE and SATA1. The CPU should be a greater bottleneck in anything but synthetic benchmarks and large file transfers, while the relatively small random reads and writes of Win98 startup, loading games and other applications will profit greatly of fast access times even on the slower IDE controller integrated into the chipset.
Maybe you're circumventing the slightly bugged southbridge causing data corruption under certain conditions so that's a good thing but speedwise I say the effect is placebo.

And I'm not trying to play computer police anyway so if it floats your boat that's fine with me. 😉👍