VOGONS

First post, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

Can anyone help me find Windows 95 drivers for these boards? I'm really struggling.

Creative RIVA TNT PCI CT6700

20200206-124053.jpg

And my Aztech sound card, a Sound 16 C i think??

20200206-124046.jpg

Thank you

Reply 1 of 19, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The fact that you are aiming at Win95... and assuming the specs of the machine in question would match this... For the TNT --> Do not go higher than Detonator 8.05, maybe even stay at 5.23 or even 3.68, one of the earliest ones... Those should work well...

Reply 2 of 19, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, I tried the Detonator 2 series but it didn't even detect the card. Will download all versions up to 8.05 and try them all i guess. I now have a fresh Windows 95 install so should be good to go hopefully.

Reply 3 of 19, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3.68, 5.23 (?) and/or 8.05 should give you the best performance in conjunction with Win9x. I personally have no experience with using the TNT on Win95 as opposed to Win98, but the ones most suitable for Win98 should be of good assistance performance-wise under Win95 as well...
Detonator 2.xx is IIRC too old for TNT series., and only goes up to RIVA128? Has been a while, but I think either of these three mentioned should work well.

Reply 4 of 19, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darkomen wrote on 2020-02-06, 14:20:

And my Aztech sound card, a Sound 16 C i think??

These? - ftp://ftp.aztech.com/Support/DOWNLOAD/sg/sc16/

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 5 of 19, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I'm having a real hard time with this machine! I installed multiple Detonator drivers and they all come up with this when i change resolution to 1024x768 and 16 bit colour.

20200206-151037.jpg

It does show the other S3 card in the device manager so i was thinking maybe a conflict? i've disabled it in the device manager and also looked in the BIOS of the machine to disable it completely but there is no such option. Other than that i have no idea what's going on.

Regarding the sound, thanks for the links i tried them all but none worked, device manager lists it as a Aztech 2320???

20200206-150923.jpg

So confusing and frustrating. Ironically, just like it was when i was a kid haha!

Any ideas anyone?

Reply 6 of 19, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, a multiple entry of the Aztech, as well as even an exclamation mark on the Floppy Disk Controller.
I am gonna go on a limb and wildly guess that something is producing all these resource conflicts.

Have you tried with only the TNT without the Aztech, and/or vice versa? Disabling the S3 in Windows (not being able to do it in BIOS) should be enough in order for it to not be the resource madness culprit.

Also, as always: Chipset drivers installed first?

Last edited by jaZz_KCS on 2020-02-06, 15:42. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 19, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, as always: Chipset drivers installed first?

Do you know what.. I've completely forgot about that! Ermmm what ones do i need? this is the board/chipset.

20200206-155036.jpg

20200206-155048.jpg

20200206-155113.jpg

It is definitely plugged into the correct card, I've tried removing the TNT and also putting it in a different PCI slot as there are 2 on there. same result, also the same with the sound card removed.

The floppy disk issue is because I disabled it in the BIOS as it arrived with no cable so i get a BIOS warning that it isn't detected if i don't disable it.

Thanks Imi i will try those shortly. The sound card did work with the previous install with the TNT installed but i didn't have the correct drivers at the time so I guess it could be the chipset drivers..?

Reply 10 of 19, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After some looking around i found my board or at least one VERY similar, mines the exact same as this minus the S video/composite video input.

680.jpg

Apparently it uses either a Intel Triton 82430VX PCI chipset or a Intel Triton II 82430VX PCI chipset.

I also saw a note that says any video card installed will override the on board automatically but it will still show up in device manager so it is acting normally in that respect.

Reply 11 of 19, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

tried the 2320 drivers...

20200206-170938.jpg

Now im stuck in a boot loop and i have no idea how to uninstall this in safe mode.

Getting real close to calling it a day now. 2 days i've been trying to get this stupid heap of crap to run and it's fighting me literally every single step.

Reply 12 of 19, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right, so... I got up this morning and decided maybe Windows 98 SE will be better.

Installed all perfectly fine, even had sound working by default without additional drivers. Installed the TNT drivers and...

20200207-085116.jpg

I then removed the sound card, same issue, changed the TNT PCI slot, it initially booted but only because it needed to install drivers for the card as it changed PCI slots. Second boot after same error. I then removed the TNT card as I'm done with trying now and the machine freezes on the Windows 98 boot screen.

I'm currently running memtest as a possible but in my opinion very unlikely cause for all this weirdness.

20200207-092100.jpg

One thing i did notice is when installing the drivers, it would use the BIOS date for the date of the driver version... would this maybe cause some strange things to happen? As It's set to 2020 and todays date. Long shot but that's all I could really think of.

Another issue is maybe I'm using the wrong drivers?? I'm using the ones from this site the Detonator 8.x series all the others are AGP drivers. Does anyone maybe have the EXACT Creative CT6700 PCI driver??

Other than that I'm literally at a loss as to what to do now. Any ideas???

Reply 13 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darkomen wrote on 2020-02-06, 16:51:
After some looking around i found my board or at least one VERY similar, mines the exact same as this minus the S video/composit […]
Show full quote

After some looking around i found my board or at least one VERY similar, mines the exact same as this minus the S video/composite video input.

680.jpg

Apparently it uses either a Intel Triton 82430VX PCI chipset or a Intel Triton II 82430VX PCI chipset.

I also saw a note that says any video card installed will override the on board automatically but it will still show up in device manager so it is acting normally in that respect.

Don't want to be an arsehole, but I gave you exactly this information in my very first reply to your first topic:
Re: Finally!!! I found it!

It's a bit disheartening to see you - repeatedly - ignore/forget info we already gave - and you're not exactly helping yourself that way either.

The difference between this diagram and your system is that you have the PB682(MMX) with S3 Trio, visible in one of your photographs above, and the diagram shows the PB683(MMX) with S3 Virge - which had the TV-out stuff.

Regarding onboard vs add-in video: VGA adapters are PCI devices. With multiple cards, all will show up in Device Manager. That is normal and in no way influences your ability to get an add-in card working. Don't waste time and effort worrying about that. Windows 95 doesn't do multi-monitor. It has one display which will normally be the primary the BIOS also uses. If the add-in card is being used by BIOS, it will also be used by Windows. All you need to do then is get drivers working. That can be a pain, particularly with a card that is significantly newer than both the motherboard it is connected to and the operating system you want to run it on. Tbh, given you're new to this, Windows 95 is a PITA generally when it comes to drivers and your stated goal is to re-create your childhood system, I'd strongly recommend sticking to that system rather than add in non-contemporary stuff that just complicates it.

Regarding sound card: how about identifying the exact card. There's an FCC-ID on the card itself, starting with I38-xxxxxxxx. Your photograph shows the Packard Bell P/N, but not the Aztech model number/FCC-ID. The card clearly has the AZT2320 chip, which is the last ISA chip Aztech made. It uses ISA PnP, which can be a pain, but otherwise is simple and well-behaved. Basically any drivers for an AZT2320-based sound card (without modem functions) should work. The drivers linked to by Gryzb are for a quite different card made by Aztech but with an Analog Devices chip, so they won't work. imi's link to AZT2320 drivers should do the trick. Don't blame Gryzb - based on the incomplete info you provided he gave the most logical option. Only afterwards did you post that there were AZT2320-listings showing up in device manager... It's really, really important to have full and correct information if you want to get it right first time. Once again, I referred to the possible chips involved in that first post. You could have avoided this mix-up by actually looking at the chip on the card...

So confusing and frustrating. Ironically, just like it was when i was a kid haha!

Just think how the system feels having drivers randomly thrown at it...

Get some method into your madness and things will improve. Suggestions:
1) Keep it simple. Only change one thing at a time. Get that TNT card out of there until you have the base system working correctly. Only then add a new card.
2) Get full information on components before looking for drivers. That means you need to know the chips involved.
3) If something fails, evaluate: try to figure out why, so you won't make the same mistake again. In case of driver versions, write down which you have tried and what error they gave.

Reply 14 of 19, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't want to be an arsehole, but I gave you exactly this information in my very first reply to your first topic:

Not coming across that way at all, i did overlook this info so my bad. I was going by the Sound 16CD 3D on the label. That said, even trying the 2320 driver ended in trouble.

Regarding onboard vs add-in video: VGA adapters are PCI devices. With multiple cards, all will show up in Device Manager. That is normal and in no way influences your ability to get an add-in card working. Don't waste time and effort worrying about that.

Yeah I wasn't i was just referencing that the PB website i got the diagram from mentioned that it isn't something to worry about.

All you need to do then is get drivers working. That can be a pain, particularly with a card that is significantly newer than both the motherboard it is connected to and the operating system you want to run it on.

This is the issue I'm facing, I really think my issue is incorrect drivers for the TNT. Most drivers I use ?I believe to be for the AGP card. I see what you are saying about the newer hardware but I can't see how a 1996/7? mainboard can't handle a 1998 TNT card. Its not that miuch newer, it's not like I'm sticking in some newer ATI PCI card like a 64mb 7xxx series or something. I've seen posts of people https://i.postimg.cc/25dtYY51/erwfwf.jpg RIVA TNT's with Pentium 166/233Mhz. Perhaps my board is just really picky.

Tbh, given you're new to this, Windows 95 is a PITA generally when it comes to drivers and your stated goal is to re-create your childhood system, I'd strongly recommend sticking to that system rather than add in non-contemporary stuff that just complicates it.

I presume PITA refers to pain in the a... if so then that would explain why i couldn't get either the sound card or tnt working, infact i don't even think i got the onboard working. With Windows 98SE however sound works by default as does the onboard graphics so actually Windows 98 is helping my situation but the main issue again is the TNT refuses to work.

I've tried all of these drivers on both windows 95 and 98 (i started with the latest) and none of them work.

erwfwf.jpg

Get some method into your madness and things will improve. Suggestions: 1) Keep it simple. Only change one thing at a time. Get […]
Show full quote

Get some method into your madness and things will improve. Suggestions:
1) Keep it simple. Only change one thing at a time. Get that TNT card out of there until you have the base system working correctly. Only then add a new card.
2) Get full information on components before looking for drivers. That means you need to know the chips involved.
3) If something fails, evaluate: try to figure out why, so you won't make the same mistake again. In case of driver versions, write down which you have tried and what error they gave.

1, I tried this already with Windows 98 as everything else worked. I also tried a fresh install of Windows 95 with no sound card installed just the TNT, same error.
2, I have tried, the TNT is a CT6700 which i cannot find drivers for. When i asked i was told to use the detonator drivers up to 8.x but still no luck. I've searched forever to find the exact driver for this creative card but there are none online.
3, I've somewhat kept track of that with the drivers shown above. Every single driver i've used produces the same error.

I completed the memtest earlier and gave it 5 passes no errors what so ever so the RAM is good (as i expected it to be to be honest but worth a test)

Last edited by darkomen on 2020-02-07, 22:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darkomen wrote on 2020-02-07, 21:08:

[...]

This is the issue I'm facing, I really think my issue is incorrect drivers for the TNT. Most drivers I use ?I believe to be for the AGP card. I see what you are saying about the newer hardware but I can't see how a 1996/7? mainboard can't handle a 1998 TNT card. Its not that miuch newer, it's not like I'm sticking in some newer ATI PCI card like a 64mb 7xxx series or something. I've seen posts of people https://i.postimg.cc/25dtYY51/erwfwf.jpg RIVA TNT's with Pentium 166/233Mhz. Perhaps my board is just really picky.

99% certain it's not a hardware issue.

Tbh, given you're new to this, Windows 95 is a PITA generally when it comes to drivers and your stated goal is to re-create your childhood system, I'd strongly recommend sticking to that system rather than add in non-contemporary stuff that just complicates it.

I presume PITA refers to pain in the a... if so then that would explain why i couldn't get either the sound card or tnt working, infact i don't even think i got the onboard working. With Windows 98SE however sound works by default as does the onboard graphics so actually Windows 98 is helping my situation but the main issue again is the TNT refuses to work.

That's also my experience with Win98SE vs Win95. A lot of stuff 'just works' and if it doesn't, any remotely appropriate driver fixes it. Win95 is far, far more picky.

I've tried all of these drivers on both windows 95 and 98 (i started with the latest) and none of them work. […]
Show full quote

I've tried all of these drivers on both windows 95 and 98 (i started with the latest) and none of them work.

erwfwf.jpg

For Windows 98SE you want a much, much newer driver version. Not sure if it's optimal for an original TNT, but I generally go to 44.03

[...]

1, I tried this already with Windows 98 as everything else worked. I also tried a fresh install of Windows 95 with no sound card installed just the TNT, same error.
2, I have tried, the TNT is a CT6700 which i cannot find drivers for. When i asked i was told to use the detonator drivers up to 8.x but still no luck. I've searched forever to find the exact driver for this creative card but there are none online.

For nVidia cards with no exotic extra functionality/chips there's no need. But I did a bit of digging and these should be the original drivers for the CT6700 (links are still good):
Re: Anyone have a RIVA TNT PCI card and a UMC motherboard?

It's worth a try at least.

Also interesting:
Re: Anyone have a RIVA TNT PCI card and a UMC motherboard?

I was able to get the Creative Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT card working on my Biostar MB8433-UUD, UMC-based motherboard. I tried 9 sets of drivers from NVIDIA and Creative, but only the one dated 8-24-1998 seems to work.

That's a much older system, but it shows how incredibly picky these things can get. You could try to find that exact version.

3, I've somewhat kept track of that with the drivers shown above. Every single driver i've used produces the same error.

I completed the memtest earlier and gave it 5 passes no errors what so ever so the RAM is good (as i expected it to be to be honest but worth a test)

To seriously run Memtest you need to run it overnight, so 5 passes in no way proves anything other than ruling out catastrophic failure. But this is hardly likely to be a RAM issue - in that case you'd expect inconsistent errors, not completely consistent behaviour.

I'd give you fairly good chances of getting that TNT to work under Windows 98SE, but under Windows 95 you're really likely to face an uphill battle. It almost certainly can be done, but take a look in that topic I link to here - that's a bunch of old hands intentionally pushing stuff they are very familiar with beyond normal limits. Great fun, but once again, not something I'd recommend getting into if you are just beginning. Try to crawl before you attempt to hop, skip, jump and run a marathon all at once.

Reply 16 of 19, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You sir! Are a legend!

A fresh install of Windows 98 SE and those drivers and we have a winner!!! It's now running flawlessly at 1024x768.

20200207-224309.jpg

I just ran Quake 2 at 1024x768 in OpenGL and the frame rates are actually impressive for a Pentium 1 it's silky smooth so I'm guessing it's hitting 60fps (I think Q2 has a FPS cap?)

20200207-224229.jpg

It does lag/load the HDD a bit during explosions and new areas so I think an upgrade to 64mb RAM will be coming next but overall I'm so happy. I also tested quake and Duke Nukem 3D to see if the DOS games will run with the sound card drivers Windows installed and yep, Sound Blaster works perfectly which my other rig could never do so now i can enjoy MS DOS games too.

dionb, thank you! I'm now installing my favourite game Dark Omen and i have coke in the fridge and pizza in the oven. Time for a good gaming session tonight.

Thank you!

Reply 19 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darkomen wrote on 2020-02-08, 07:53:

The CT6700 drivers sprcorreia uploaded. They work like a charm. Might be worth adding them to the Vogons driver collection?

Thank you once again.

Certainly. If I'm not too drunk tonight/hung-over tomorrow I'll upload them there. If you see gibberish there I did it anyway 😉

Edit:
Only spent 6h in the pub, still able to upload:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 629&menustate=0