VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any websites that have large collections of old computer company logos? I'm alright at identifying most of the ones made after 1995 or so, but there are a lot of companies that changed logos prior to that or made so few products that their logo is rarely seen.

The closest thing I've found is this site for identifying logos on chips, which has certainly helped tremendously over the years but most of these companies didn't actually produce whole boards or cards, so it's really only good for identifying individual chips.

I thought for sure I had found another site a few years ago that had a huge catalog of logos and company names but I can't seem to find it again.

I wish more companies had been like STB, 3dfx, MSI and nvidia were later on, with very distinct markings that made it obvious who made the device even if you couldn't read the writing in a blurry photo... or they could be like Number Nine with full size screen printed graphics and paragraphs of text on both sides of their cards. It's easy to identify those!

Then there are 386 motherboards with no markings at all except for a serial number (untraceable) and an obscure logo printed on a paper label that has been pasted on a BIOS chip, like this...

m17045345268_2.jpg
Filename
m17045345268_2.jpg
File size
127.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Boards like this are the main reason I'm trying to find a website to ID logos.

If no such site exists, I propose that we start one in this thread. Upload as many pictures and company names as you want. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BastlerMike wrote on 2020-02-16, 03:25:

The logo on your board belongs to Biostar

AH! Of course...

I was trying to think... b-star...?? Duh... how did I not get that? 😆

Now, to figure out what the board is. It's one I'm thinking of purchasing, I don't own it yet.

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I take your word for that but have never seen that image on a Biostar board or manual before. The ones am familiar with are a weird A with stripes but never saw a an older logo afaik. Thanks.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-02-16, 05:29:

I take your word for that but have never seen that image on a Biostar board or manual before. The ones am familiar with are a weird A with stripes but never saw a an older logo afaik. Thanks.

Yeah, this is an example of a company that has changed it's logo at least once, which makes it pretty tough for someone like me who wasn't elbow deep in PCs until the late 90s. 😃 . A lot of companies did this throughout the 90s as far as I can tell.

Reply 5 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see any L2 cache on that motherboard.

Are you sure that is a 386 motherboard? Looks a lot like the MB-1316C(B)-SX2 / 1320C(B)-SX2 / 1325C(B)
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/B/B … ION-486-MB.html

Could be that they had a version of the same board with a 386sx on it.

Either way, there is no L2 cache so the performance is going to be gimped.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As for that other site, maybe this one:
http://plasma-online.de/english/identify/pict … x_logochip.html

Most of the site's functionality went down when they migrated to idhw.com some 10-15 years ago, but crucially the manufacturer pics weren't migrated. They can still be seen on the old site.