Rank

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/41372/Olivetti-M290/

Tried del, f2, esc, ctrl+alt+esc...

Reply 1 of 16, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First hit on Google with "Olivetti M290 BIOS": the original Olivetti documentation:
https://secure.corradoroberto.it/doc/olivetti … tems1/cap32.pdf

BUILT IN SETUP and EXTENDED SETUP UtilitiesBUILT IN SETUPThis program, resident in ROM BIOS, allows users to change some of the Personal Computer con-figuration parameters.There are two possibilities:First case: If the information in the CMOS RAM is no longer valid or if the power battery is not charg-ing, the screen will display the BUILT IN SETUP. Users can select the national language versionthey wish to work in from a choice of 6 languages. Second case: If the system configuration has been modified, only the icon of the device to beadded or changed in the CMOS RAM will be displayed. For instance, after installing a secondfloppy disk the floppy disk icon will be displayed. In both cases, this BUILT IN SETUP screen will be displayed automatically, without any operator ac-tion.

So if you clear CMOS or change hardware, you will automatically go into the built-in setup.

Want to do something else?

EXTENDED BUILT IN SETUPIn addition to the BUILT IN SETUP utility, there is another utility called EXTENDED BUILT IN SETUP with which other parameters of the system can be configured. This utility can be called bythe operator by pressing the keys SHIFT, CTRL, ALT and DEL at the same time

Reply 4 of 16, by melo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To enter BIOS in Olivetti computers you have to use a bootable floppy with proper Olivetti software init.
Once you run the software, you have the possibility to install what they called "System Region" in your hard disk and open BIOS without using a floppy by pressing keys (usually ctrl, alt, ins) during boot or just set what you need and use the floppy everytime you need to make changes (I prefer this way).
So , for example, if you change your HD you lose the possibility to enter BIOS but you always can with a floppy.

You can download the floppy you need from my Mega here: https://mega.nz/folder/9Ahg3ZyI#aQflvOqf_fkeqkB4RPTdnA

In this folder you will find two files, I guess you need just one as they look like just different version (1.2 - 1.4) but same software init.
If you fail to write them using WinImage, use a software called Disk Manager (PM me for download link)

Reply 6 of 16, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
melo wrote on 2021-01-25, 20:26:
To enter BIOS in Olivetti computers you have to use a bootable floppy with proper Olivetti software init. Once you run the soft […]
Show full quote

To enter BIOS in Olivetti computers you have to use a bootable floppy with proper Olivetti software init.
Once you run the software, you have the possibility to install what they called "System Region" in your hard disk and open BIOS without using a floppy by pressing keys (usually ctrl, alt, ins) during boot or just set what you need and use the floppy everytime you need to make changes (I prefer this way).
So , for example, if you change your HD you lose the possibility to enter BIOS but you always can with a floppy.

You can download the floppy you need from my Mega here: https://mega.nz/folder/9Ahg3ZyI#aQflvOqf_fkeqkB4RPTdnA

In this folder you will find two files, I guess you need just one as they look like just different version (1.2 - 1.4) but same software init.
If you fail to write them using WinImage, use a software called Disk Manager (PM me for download link)

Do you happen to have setup disks for more Olivetti computers? More specifically the M290-20 ?

Reply 7 of 16, by melo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arvid wrote on 2021-01-26, 13:22:
melo wrote on 2021-01-25, 20:26:
To enter BIOS in Olivetti computers you have to use a bootable floppy with proper Olivetti software init. Once you run the soft […]
Show full quote

Do you happen to have setup disks for more Olivetti computers? More specifically the M290-20 ?

Yes I have for more computers, but not for the M290-20.

Anyway according on my experience with others Olivetti (m300-30/p and m300-30) was possible to use the same disk on both computers. I guess you can use the M290 disk on yours and see what happens. I don't know if it is a safe solution but before changing BIOS values, I'd run a PC test with that floppies I linked here (by chosing "1- Report system configuration"). I repeat, I am not sure but I guess that if the test ends without getting stuck, you could use the setup utility and make the changes you wish.

Otherwise, some that can't find Olivetti system disks, use a program called Generic Setup that allows you to make changes in these kind of BIOS.

Reply 8 of 16, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
melo wrote on 2021-01-26, 13:55:

Anyway according on my experience with others Olivetti (m300-30/p and m300-30) was possible to use the same disk on both computers. I guess you can use the M290 disk on yours and see what happens. I don't know if it is a safe solution but before changing BIOS values, I'd run a PC test with that floppies I linked here (by chosing "1- Report system configuration"). I repeat, I am not sure but I guess that if the test ends without getting stuck, you could use the setup utility and make the changes you wish.

Otherwise, some that can't find Olivetti system disks, use a program called Generic Setup that allows you to make changes in these kind of BIOS.

Do you have these other files available to download somewhere? Lots of these Olivetti setups are very hard to find so it can be handy to handy to have them around. I have a few other Olivettis but no setup disks.

I will try this setup disk on my M290-20 later when I have a chance 😀

Reply 9 of 16, by melo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arvid wrote on 2021-01-26, 14:58:

Do you have these other files available to download somewhere? Lots of these Olivetti setups are very hard to find so it can be handy to handy to have them around. I have a few other Olivettis but no setup disks.

Of course, you can download all the system disks i have from here: https://mega.nz/file/AYI22CyK#zTIC7CxMGSt3VIT … Nq2nYJx6wW_vvQ8

Those are .exe files that doesn't work under windows 7 and higher, but you can extract them with 7zip to get the floppy images that can be written with WinImage or similar ( I use a program called Disk Manager, since sometimes WinImage doesn't work) .
I didn't test all of them, just got them from an ex Olivetti employee but all the ones I have used, worked perfectly.

Reply 12 of 16, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i think is ctrl+alt+shift+insert.. at lest in the pcs286 is. the screen you have posted is equal to mine

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 13 of 16, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
melo wrote on 2021-01-26, 16:41:
Of course, you can download all the system disks i have from here: https://mega.nz/file/AYI22CyK#zTIC7CxMGSt3VIT … Nq2nYJx6wW_v […]
Show full quote
Arvid wrote on 2021-01-26, 14:58:

Of course, you can download all the system disks i have from here: https://mega.nz/file/AYI22CyK#zTIC7CxMGSt3VIT … Nq2nYJx6wW_vvQ8

Those are .exe files that doesn't work under windows 7 and higher, but you can extract them with 7zip to get the floppy images that can be written with WinImage or similar ( I use a program called Disk Manager, since sometimes WinImage doesn't work) .
I didn't test all of them, just got them from an ex Olivetti employee but all the ones I have used, worked perfectly.

Can you post the link again ?

I have three olivetti computers - PCS286, M300-30p andf M4-Modulo64..
need the setup disks

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 14 of 16, by kevmif

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - I too have resurrected an M290 286 and the links provided to the set up tools on this page were instrumental in helping me to get it going. Thank you.
I just replaced the dead lithium batteries with 4xAA's in a battery box and that seems to be working which is great.
I also lost the original keyboard but was able to make an adaptor using an old serial port plug which works.

I have a question about the drive. Set up determined it was a 'type 2' but that is clearly incorrect as Type 2 is 20MB but the NEC D3146h is a 40 MB drive.
How can I reliably work out the correct disk type for the NEC D3146H?

According to https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/ … -MFM-ST506.html the drive has 8 heads, 615 cylinders and 17 sectors per track if that helps at all.

Thanks

Reply 15 of 16, by miniPax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
melo wrote on 2021-01-26, 16:41:
(...) […]
Show full quote

(...)

You wouldn't happen to be able to create a new link?

I recently bought an Olivetti M4-P133 I'm trying to restore, but it looks like it has an corrupt BIOS so I have to solve that first. If I can source a BIOS-image I can hopefully reflash the chip and then I'll have the software needed (unless it's a "normal" BIOS on this model) 😀