VOGONS

First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I bought an Abit BX6 and an Abit LX6. After arriving home and putting them on my test benches, both do exactly the same, nothing at all. I tried with a CPU, without, with RAM and without, gpu, all loaded, nothing etc... nothing on the screen, no beeps, no nothing. I am using a standard power supply. (tested a few)

I'll include a picture of the boards.

These boards are pretty old naturally but really well cared after. The fact BOTH do exactly the same nothingness makes me suspect I am at fault and not the boards, somehow. I have little experience with motherboards of this era and maybe I am just doing something wrong?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 16, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have consistent problem with ram, and a lot of boards are (or have become) very fussy about how the sticks are seated. With some boards, if i don't symetrically click in the sticks on both sides at the same time, it won't boot

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 4 of 16, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-02-20, 11:46:

Have you asked your other account, FrankDM yet like you did in that other thread?
Valuation of old hardware
Maybe he can give you an answer.😉

Yawn 😉 We can make it a meme with you posting a reply with every post I make 😀

Last edited by Planet-Dune on 2020-02-20, 12:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 16, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oohms wrote on 2020-02-20, 11:58:

I have consistent problem with ram, and a lot of boards are (or have become) very fussy about how the sticks are seated. With some boards, if i don't symetrically click in the sticks on both sides at the same time, it won't boot

I tried with no ram at all as well, it should at least give me either something on screen or if not, a beep right?

Reply 8 of 16, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. This might sound silly, are you sure the CPU is in all the way? I had some scares over the years where slot processors needed an extra push to be inserted properly.
2. Did you try other ram sticks or video cards? Certain boards just dont like certain ram configurations and video cards. Example - my Aopen 440bx board refuses to post with some ram sticks that work great in other boards.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 10 of 16, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
amadeus777999 wrote on 2020-02-20, 14:03:

Connect a speaker & use a diagnose card.

Listen to this man. He speaks the true true.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 11 of 16, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-02-20, 12:11:
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-02-20, 11:46:

Have you asked your other account, FrankDM yet like you did in that other thread?
Valuation of old hardware
Maybe he can give you an answer.😉

Yawn 😉 We can make it a meme with you posting a reply with every post I make 😀

You can try to make it a joke as much as you want. It just proved that you can't be trusted and I would be much less inclined to answer your questions.

Reply 12 of 16, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-02-20, 12:14:
Errius wrote on 2020-02-20, 12:00:

What are those workbenches?

They are the Lian T70.
http://www.lian-li.com/pc-t70/

And it's rare. I can't find a single retailer in Europe where I can buy one!

Reply 14 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea. Speaker and diagnostic POST code card. And some quality memory modules, don't reuse what you have now. I do not trust these.

I always keep spare memory modules. All OEM brands on their offical stickers attached to memory modules: Hynix, Samsung, Micron or Crucial, Elpida but only two exceptions: I had very good experience with Mushkin and Kingston the two good third party memory makers who buy chips and assembles theirs own from open market.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 15 of 16, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Planet-Dune wrote on 2020-02-20, 12:12:
oohms wrote on 2020-02-20, 11:58:

I tried with no ram at all as well, it should at least give me either something on screen or if not, a beep right?

you won't get anything on the screen, but you will get beeps if it is the memory. A POST diagnostic card can also be of some help

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 16 of 16, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No RAM or RAM in wrong bank will give you nothing but memory error beeps.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.