Topic actions

Reply 20 of 50, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-21, 05:42:
Horun wrote on 2020-02-21, 05:37:

Not me ! I personally hate laptops in general.

Even ones that can be docked and have ISA/PCI slots in the dock as well as 5.25", 3.5" external drive bays and an internal 3.5" drive bay? No, not the Thinkpad dock.

No not really. My friends and neighbors seem to always bring me their quirky or non functional ones to fix and have for years and finally put a stop to it because it burned me out on them. I have an old Tosh Satellite 110CS and a Dell Vostro 1500 that work well but do not want another NOR desire to work on any but the two I have. I admire those who seek out the older laptops, Amiga's and Commodore stuff (had a Vic and C64 long ago) but at my age have to put limits on what I do and collect specially since I have a garage full of old PC and Mac stuff (until I can retire then I may start collecting other stuff 🤣)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 21 of 50, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hwh wrote on 2020-02-22, 00:46:

I hate that. That happened to me last year. I was asking a guy "is that an Athlon XP or P4 sticker?" and he was being incoherent and slow and meanwhile someone bought it for $25.

But that is not the seller's fault. Either buy something while you can, or accept that any hesitation may cause someone else to buy it. That's how it works. Asking a question doesn't mean that something gets automatically reserved for you to buy exclusively.

Having said that, I hate when people don't understand eBay (or other platforms for that matter).

Reply 22 of 50, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rob8086 wrote on 2020-02-21, 21:34:
kolderman wrote on 2020-02-21, 08:23:

So why didn't you buy it when you had the chance?

I had actually asked the seller a question about it and was waiting for a response when it went poof. Learned my lesson, haha.

I've had that happen. Negotiated a price through eBay messaging, was waiting for him to add the Make Offer feature, but then *poof* someone else bought it at the buy-it-now price.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23 of 50, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rob8086 wrote on 2020-02-21, 23:02:
brostenen wrote on 2020-02-21, 22:25:

Just look for another, and move on..... And it was not me. I don't have any interest in laptops anyway, unless I need a new daily driver, and a modern one will serve me better. As I am running Linux and want to have horse powers.

EDIT:
Just remember. Of all the people that are shopping computer stuff on eBay. Only a fraction are on Vogons. So the buyer might not even know about this place.

I mean hopefully it was clear that my post was 100% in jest. I hope it was someone from here because it's a great laptop at a steal of a price. I ended up grabbing another one in only slightly worse condition, so all is well on my end.

Cool. And congrats with the purchase. Laptops are only a tool for me, so more to go around for those that want specific old ones. I only want Thinkpads when getting a new daily driver.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 24 of 50, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-02-22, 02:17:
Horun wrote on 2020-02-21, 05:37:

Not me ! I personally hate laptops in general.

Even ones that can be docked and have ISA/PCI slots in the dock as well as 5.25", 3.5" external drive bays and an internal 3.5" drive bay? No, not the Thinkpad dock.

No not really. My friends and neighbors seem to always bring me their quirky or non functional ones to fix and have for years and finally put a stop to it because it burned me out on them. I have an old Tosh Satellite 110CS and a Dell Vostro 1500 that work well but do not want another NOR desire to work on any but the two I have. I admire those who seek out the older laptops, Amiga's and Commodore stuff (had a Vic and C64 long ago) but at my age have to put limits on what I do and collect specially since I have a garage full of old PC and Mac stuff (until I can retire then I may start collecting other stuff 🤣)

That is the beauty. We are all collecting different stuff and have out own limit to how big we want our collection. Some have a small and specific one they used years on, to create. Orhers have a wast one and collect everything computer related. Even mascots and merchandise.

Reply 25 of 50, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote on 2020-02-22, 08:18:
rob8086 wrote on 2020-02-21, 21:34:
kolderman wrote on 2020-02-21, 08:23:

So why didn't you buy it when you had the chance?

I had actually asked the seller a question about it and was waiting for a response when it went poof. Learned my lesson, haha.

I've had that happen. Negotiated a price through eBay messaging, was waiting for him to add the Make Offer feature, but then *poof* someone else bought it at the buy-it-now price.

All sellers from country to country, see eBay functions in a different light. Some only see the message system as a way to communicate. Others see it as a way of declaring interest. That is why Amibay rules are so wonderfull. They are few yet strict and right in the face. Unless you directly declare interest, then you have not and then it is only a message.

Ebay sellers are different. And it depends on ones culture, how you understand the idea of messaging service on a website. Anyway... If you click the BIN button, then it is yours. Ebay rules.

My only experience that have been this bad, is a C64 that I bought and paid. And a couple of hours later it was canceled. The seller had sold it locally to another buyer, after I had bought it. I did ask why, and got some rambling about ebay rules and stuff like he did not see his email inbox. Well... At least I got my money back within the first 10 minutes. I guess it was just bad luck or something.

Reply 26 of 50, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a little experience with selling on eBay, and I can tell you that are many people who ask and ask questions and in the end they don't buy. Until someone pays for it, it will be for sale, it is a simple rule.
Maybe someone doesn't like this, but what can I do? I cannot wait for someone to decide while there might be someone else wanting to buy at asking price.

Reply 27 of 50, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-02-22, 00:51:

what I hate more is when I make a seller an offer on buy it now items, then get an absolute ridiculous offer back and don't even respond... and some days later I get a message that it has been sold for the same or less than my offer was ^^

That happened to me with a Packard Bell. I offered like 40 bucks, the seller countered with 200(!!!), and then it sold for 35 dollars.

Reply 28 of 50, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-22, 07:51:

I hate that. That happened to me last year. I was asking a guy "is that an Athlon XP or P4 sticker?" and he was being incoherent and slow and meanwhile someone bought it for $25.

But that is not the seller's fault. Either buy something while you can, or accept that any hesitation may cause someone else to buy it. That's how it works. Asking a question doesn't mean that something gets automatically reserved for you to buy exclusively.

Having said that, I hate when people don't understand eBay (or other platforms for that matter).

I never said I had it reserved. If the guy had answered my question, I would have bought the item days before. Instead he made me wonder if he was a seller I could trust, and while I was debating whether I would mind too much having the wrong version, someone else bought it. I would be a fool to throw my money away on the wrong items.

IMO if you haven't clearly described your item, you should not have made a listing. Tired of these blurry/stock pictures that don't show the information I need to make decisions.

Reply 29 of 50, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure if you all know this but the bid/buy system on Ebay is automated where the message service is not. So you can send a message but that is like all email (or sending a PM to a member here) and won't be read until the seller (or member here) checks his messages, meanwhile bidding or buy now are still going on even if the seller (or member here) is away at work or whatever. Sometimes when I PM a member here it can be days before they see it and reply. Nothing wrong with that, we all have real lives beyond the .net. Hope that clarifies how Ebay works. Just saying....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 30 of 50, by rob8086

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hwh wrote on 2020-02-23, 05:56:
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-22, 07:51:

I never said I had it reserved. If the guy had answered my question, I would have bought the item days before. Instead he made me wonder if he was a seller I could trust, and while I was debating whether I would mind too much having the wrong version, someone else bought it. I would be a fool to throw my money away on the wrong items.

IMO if you haven't clearly described your item, you should not have made a listing. Tired of these blurry/stock pictures that don't show the information I need to make decisions.

You mean this blurry picture of one corner of an unrelated laptop, along with my description of "gaming computer! PENTIUM cpu processor! MUST SEE!"... doesn't cut it for you? Man, you're picky.

Corruptor : ASUS TUV4X - Intel SL6BY @ 1.4GHz - 2x 256MB PC133 - ATI Radeon 8500 - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350
Aggressor : ASUS TUSL2 - Intel SL6BY @ 1.4GHz - 2x 256MB PC133 - NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti 4600 - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350

Reply 31 of 50, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had a lot of conversations with myself over whether something is worth it despite variables and unknowns, due to sellers posting conflicting information; specs that conflict with pictures; pictures that were taken with a 90s webcam, or with petroleum jelly on the lens, or during an earthquake; pictures that are likely not theirs; single picture of the item and four pictures of their "best service on a Internet!" banners; etc. etc. etc.

Also really reluctant to trust a seller that can't be bothered to answer a question. Are you going to notice when it sells? Are you still alive? Will I ever get the item? If I get half of it, will I get a refund for the half that broke off en-route? If you can't be bothered to operate a camera and a keyboard, are you capable of taping up a box, or am I going to get most of a monitor with a stamp on it?

Ebay is an adventure!

imi wrote on 2020-02-21, 23:22:
SirNickity wrote on 2020-02-21, 22:29:

Not I! I'm sniping other people's ISA/PCI cards and CD drives, mostly.

hey! stop that!

If it's any consolation, I was just well and truly out-gunned on a Game Blaster. I would like to have one. Someone else wanted one more than they wanted $355. I do not.

Reply 32 of 50, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SirNickity wrote on 2020-02-24, 20:59:
I've had a lot of conversations with myself over whether something is worth it despite variables and unknowns, due to sellers po […]
Show full quote

I've had a lot of conversations with myself over whether something is worth it despite variables and unknowns, due to sellers posting conflicting information; specs that conflict with pictures; pictures that were taken with a 90s webcam, or with petroleum jelly on the lens, or during an earthquake; pictures that are likely not theirs; single picture of the item and four pictures of their "best service on a Internet!" banners; etc. etc. etc.

Also really reluctant to trust a seller that can't be bothered to answer a question. Are you going to notice when it sells? Are you still alive? Will I ever get the item? If I get half of it, will I get a refund for the half that broke off en-route? If you can't be bothered to operate a camera and a keyboard, are you capable of taping up a box, or am I going to get most of a monitor with a stamp on it?

Ebay is an adventure!

imi wrote on 2020-02-21, 23:22:
SirNickity wrote on 2020-02-21, 22:29:

Not I! I'm sniping other people's ISA/PCI cards and CD drives, mostly.

hey! stop that!

If it's any consolation, I was just well and truly out-gunned on a Game Blaster. I would like to have one. Someone else wanted one more than they wanted $355. I do not.

Other than having an original for your collection, I see no reason to have an original Creative Music System / Game Blaster.

Look up the MUS-1099 project. You can build one yourself.

You can also just use a sound blaster 1.0 (CMS included) or 1.5 and just add the CMS chips. THere are only few games that need the other chip (for auto detection) on the original CMS/ GB card but no big deal.
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/10/a … -about.html?m=1

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 33 of 50, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Turtle-Beach-MultiSound-Box.jpg
Filename
Turtle-Beach-MultiSound-Box.jpg
File size
231.68 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Turtle-Beach-MultiSound-Cards.jpg
Filename
Turtle-Beach-MultiSound-Cards.jpg
File size
445.83 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I have a special place in my heart for TB MultiSound classic and pinnacle. They are magnificent.

Bare cards pop up every now and then, but boxed ones are somewhat uncommon.

I believe you know the jolt following a gasp when you face "da item" you pry for.

Besides, this bunch looked like it had a very early version of classic.

This was it. Yes, that was it. I had to have it. But it was on ebay.

So I took some time to hastily punch down a short message.

By the time the message was sent, it was gone.

It was gone from me. Goner for ever.

I don't know who you are.

I'll tell you what.

Lucky you.

I hate you.

Reply 34 of 50, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ That was beautiful. I want to hang it on my fridge.

cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-24, 23:08:

Other than having an original for your collection, I see no reason to have an original Creative Music System / Game Blaster.

Other than that, I don't either.

Reply 35 of 50, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

5.25"..... external drive bays .....

Really? I'm curious how that works. Is there a proprietary 5.25" drive for this laptop? Or it can use standard drives?

And yes, it wasn't me 😀

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 36 of 50, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bondi wrote on 2020-02-25, 07:53:

Really? I'm curious how that works. Is there a proprietary 5.25" drive for this laptop? Or it can use standard drives?

And yes, it wasn't me 😀

I guess I kinda worded it wrong. It has a 3.5" and 5.25" front bay like a regular computer case has in addition to a 3.5" internal ide bay.

So it can support floppy and ide drive drives. Not sure if it can support more than 1 floppy in the docking station or not. I haven't looked at the manual that closely.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 37 of 50, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-25, 08:09:

I guess I kinda worded it wrong. It has a 3.5" and 5.25" front bay like a regular computer case has in addition to a 3.5" internal ide bay.

So it can support floppy and ide drive drives. Not sure if it can support more than 1 floppy in the docking station or not. I haven't looked at the manual that closely.

Oh, I see now. Still a nice feature. 5.25"FDD is always PITA for laptop users.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 38 of 50, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was ME ! It was ME ! I bought it all HAHahaaahaaaa
just kidding but could not resist 😁

Reply 39 of 50, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-25, 08:09:
Bondi wrote on 2020-02-25, 07:53:

And yes, it wasn't me 😀

The Inspiron 8100? The one on the left is a standard 5 1/4” slimline laptop drive that you can mount on the rails, and the left bay in the front is the standard, hot swappable Latitude C-series bay (you can use it for a 3 1/2” floppy drive Module, an HDD module, an optical drive module and even an extra C-series battery, it’s basically Dell’s version of the Thinkpad Ultrabay). From what I remember Dell can sell you a cable that goes from the parallel port to the floppy module - no need for a docking station.

Also, *Meh* to the original topic. If you think getting picked off on evilBay is bad, wait until you get bidsniped on Yahoo Japan auctions through a 3rd party service like Buyee. Those freaking auctions auto-extend on bids and the price climb is insane.