VOGONS

First post, by Captain Catnip

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Hi there,

I have a problem with a 486 DX 33 on a PVI-486SP3.

I can't get it to boot from a floppy or CF. I made a bootable floppy disk (Phils starter) in a different computer and also tested it there - works flawlessly. Put that same disk, even the drive with it, into the 486 - Disk Boot failure.
Tried several different Boot Disks, tried 5 different 3.5" floppy drives, different files/images, can't get it to boot from floppy. Is there any hidden jumper or setting I'm too blind to find?

Reply 1 of 7, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you test different Controller ? Cable ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 7, by Captain Catnip

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Forgot to mention that I got the floppy to work with a system on C:
I could use the floppy normally and it was fine, just can't boot from it. My first cable was indeed dead, but I got that fixed.
Would a faulty controller make it possible to fully use a drive but not boot from it?

Reply 3 of 7, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you get any error messages? Does the drive light come on?

Here are things to check:
Is the Bios set up properly ( Correct drive type / Boot Order)
Are you using a 486 with WB cache on a system that doesn't really support it?
Is the boot sector on the disk damaged?
Does the disk have undamaged boot files?

Reply 4 of 7, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. Has this been solved? Same issue here. Different Floppies Formated with /s but when booting system hangs without any message before even reaching the text: starting msdos…

Could there be an issue with my dual boot with win95? When I boot into previous msdos version and then try sys a: dos states: no OS on this drive. Strange. With format /s I won’t get any error. But maybe it is just suppressing the message. Is this a known issue that sys won’t work with dual boot win95 (via boot previous ms dos option)?

FDD is otherwise working flawless

Remark: all tested with an 720k disk

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 / 386SX25@30 / 16MB / CL-GD5434 / CT2830/ SCC-1&MT32 / Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 / 486DX/2 66(@80) / 32MB / TGUI9440 / LAPC-I

Reply 5 of 7, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem identified. Creating a boot disk via win95 boot is no problem. Even at command line via sys.
The msdos sys seems to be confused with the dual boot there for the sys won’t work anymore for me. Using now the original msdos install boot disk.
BR

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 / 386SX25@30 / 16MB / CL-GD5434 / CT2830/ SCC-1&MT32 / Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320

Reply 6 of 7, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, that floppy's contents would have been interesting.
Basically you need a boot sector containing code to load IO.SYS or then contents starting at the right sector. (FORMAT.COM)
You can copy the following files manually in the specific order on an empty disk when you take care about the file attributes.
Next is to copy IO.SYS followed by MSDOS.SYS
It is now an option to add DRVSPACE.BIN
Then you need COMMAND.COM too

With your double boot configuration I'm not sure which files were copied by your format /s command. Perhaps a bastard mixture 😉

Reply 7 of 7, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All is there on the disk but no boot. I don’t know why but creating a boot floppy using sys Oder format /a under msdos 6.22 using win95 dual boot won’t work (for me) as lessons learned.
I think I also know why:

When you select from win95 boot menu „start previous Ms dos version“ it is using the msdos versions of msdos.sys and iO but only for the second of boot. It then automatically readdresses the win95 msdos.sys and iO.sys since the system needs them automatically after the next reboot. Quite sure that’s it