VOGONS

First post, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, It's been a long time since I've been here. I have this spare HP Pavilion dv6930us laptop that I would like to install Windows XP Professional (32-bit) on just for fun. There's no option to change between IDE/ACHI mode for the SATA controller in the BIOS, so I've loaded the Intel SATA drivers onto a floppy disk and used a USB floppy drive. I pressed F6 while booting the Windows XP install CD, selected the "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" as instructed, and so far so good until after the hard drive formatted when I'm presented with this following message:

Insert the disk labeled:
Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Driver
into drive A:

*Press ENTER when ready.
Specs for those who want to know

- Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 @ 2 GHz
- Intel GM965 chipset (ICH8-M)
- 4GB DDR2 RAM
- 250GB Fujitsu 7200RPM SATA hard drive
- HL-DT-ST IDE DVD-RW drive

I've tried pressing the Enter key as instructed, and even after pressing it multiple times, this screen is still there. I've tried two different sets of F6 SATA drivers and they all did the same thing. I also tried two different USB floppy drives (a Dell D-series drive and a Sony USB drive), no difference. If anyone else has had this same issue as me and managed to get past it, please tell me how. Or if anyone has any ideas on things to try, be sure to let me know.

P.S. pls don't say "Install Windows Vista/7/8.x/10, it's much better". I've tried running Windows 8.0 on this laptop and it ran slowly due to its mechanical hard disk getting used constantly. All of my Windows 7 keys have been used up, and given that Windows 8 performs better than 7 on proper hardware, I doubt 7 (or even Vista) would perform any better. I'd really like to get XP on here until I can afford to get an SSD for this laptop.

Also don't suggest nLite either, as I really don't feel like dumping my XP CD onto my computer, installing nLite, slipstreaming the SATA drivers and burning yet another Windows XP CD just for one computer. I'd like to avoid that route as much as possible. Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 2, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You press Enter and you don't see the floppy drive light accessed?

1. Earlier XP install discs, possibly all XP install discs, only support a small variety of USB floppy drives.

The following USB floppy disk drives are included in the Txtsetup.sif file and are therefore supported for use during Windows XP […]
Show full quote

The following USB floppy disk drives are included in the Txtsetup.sif file and are therefore supported for use during Windows XP installation:

Plug and Play ID........USB floppy disk drive model

USB\VID_03EE&PID_6901 Mitsumi
USB\VID_057B&PID_0000 Y-E Data; Sony part number 09K9835
USB\VID_0644&PID_0000 TEAC; IBM option part number 27L4226, FRU 05K9283

The following USB floppy disk drives are not included in the Txtsetup.sif file and therefore are not supported during Windows XP installation:

Plug and Play ID........USB floppy disk drive model

USB\VID_03F0 &PID_2001 HP
USB\VID_054C &PID_002C Sony
USB\VID_057B &PID_0001 Y-E Data
USB\VID_0409 &PID_0040 NEC
USB\VID_0424 &PID_0FDC SMSC

This can be altered by slipstreaming your install disc, which you said you wanted to avoid...

2. If that's not the issue, I have rarely had issues with install discs properly detecting a weird keyboard, so try plugging in a USB keyboard too and hitting Enter.

3. If that's still not the issue, then you must have structured your F6 disk incorrectly.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 2, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, the floppy drive doesn't light up at all when pressing Enter regardless if I remove the disk or keep it in.

I didn't know Windows XP install media could only recognize specific USB floppy drives, until I saw your post, looks like I'll have to get a Mitsumi/Teac USB floppy drive and try one of those judging by the list provided. My Windows XP Professional disc has Service Pack 2 in it, if that matters. I also have XP Professional RTM (no service packs) and XP MCE 2005, but since XP RTM is too old for this laptop (due to lack of SATA support), it wouldn't make sense to try that. I might try my XP MCE 2005 disc to see if that works.

Thanks for helping me.