VOGONS

First post, by Deczor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My first computer was a Bondwell XT, bought in 1988 I think. We were too poor to upgrade, so it wasn't until 1997 that I managed to upgrade to a PII 450. My parents had left, so I sold their piano to get it. The whole 386, 486 or Pentium-s era I missed completely, except for times spent on kind friends computers.

If you were anything like me in the early 90's you hung out with people who were interested in computers at school and used their machines when you could to play Wolfenstien and Lemmings. Invariably there would be one friend whose dad would have a massive tower that you weren't allowed to use and you'd be relegated to the older 386. That big machine would look something like this

IMG-20200213-223910028.jpg

This one came to me after I got a hankering to build an old system to relive some old games. Nothing was available on Trademe, and anything on ebay was insanely expensive with freight. So, I emailed every e-waste or recycling outfit in the country asking if they had anything that would fit the bill, or at least some parts I could build something out of. Of the 30ish places I emailed, only one dude came back to me saying he had what he suspected was an unused 486 machine. He sent me a few pictures, I liked it, $200 later it arrived at my door.

Let's see if it works

IMG-20200221-174250634.jpg

Seems that it works. I've chucked in a CF adapter to make sure it'll co-operate.

The guy at the recycling place had put it aside a year or so ago because it was too nice to bin. He also helpfully cut the battery out. It hadn't leaked yet, but he thought it best to get it out of there and replace it with this

IMG-20200221-174316288.jpg

It was about this time that I got my first hit of AT case rash. This something I remember without fondness, that special time in history where case manufacturers would go out of their way to leave a razor sharp burr on every edge. This won't do.

IMG-20200221-200110453.jpg

Let's strip it down.

IMG-20200222-124830332.jpg

Neat!
IMG-20200222-130553355.jpg

de-bur all the things! I attacked every edge with a series of files to make harmless rounded edged.

IMG-20200222-131227226.jpg

PSU check. Seems quite a beefy one for an AT

IMG-20200222-140857155.jpg

Nice and clean

IMG-20200222-140748526.jpg

The board seems like a cheaper thing, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. Maybe you guys have a better idea

IMG-20200222-131232178.jpg

IMG-20200222-140322878.jpg

IMG-20200222-140529068.jpg

IMG-20200222-140558527.jpg

IMG-20200222-140606797.jpg

Now, we've all seen IDE to CF card adapters used in these things. What's always seemed a little dumb is having to go behind the machine, or open it up to swap the cards out. I'm not crawling around under my desk fiddling around with cards. The solution was to gut a busted floppy drive and mount the CF adapter in that. Using only a big pair of pliers and a drill, I made this. It's a bit rough, but it'll do

IMG-20200222-145806564.jpg

IMG-20200222-145816685.jpg

IMG-20200222-151946294.jpg

Let's put it all back together

IMG-20200222-153529594.jpg

Power it up

IMG-20200222-160319096.jpg

We have RAM

IMG-20200222-175826911.jpg

We have disks

IMG-20200222-175836805.jpg

We have Dune!

IMG-20200222-175931941.jpg

Mission accomplished!

The monitor here is sitting on my Socket7 machine. I suspect the motherboard (Soyo 5TE2) is scunted. Might do some hunting for one.

Quick question; where do you guys get DOS games? I've been doing a lot of hunting, but a lot of them are packaged for DOSbox or SCUMM and I can't figure out how to extract those to use in an actual DOS machine. Cheers!

Reply 1 of 17, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just had the pleasure of working on one of the best cases (P4, early 2000s) in which everything was deburred and edges rounded.

There will be a Youtube video soon. For now, yes , I recall the mid 90s and razor sharp, cheap, shit ass cases: Look at them with enough intent, and your fingers start to bleed on their own.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 2 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deczor wrote on 2020-02-23, 01:51:

Quick question; where do you guys get DOS games? I've been doing a lot of hunting, but a lot of them are packaged for DOSbox or SCUMM and I can't figure out how to extract those to use in an actual DOS machine. Cheers!

Great work ! Looks good but not sure I would have used such a tall case for a Mini board. Most of my old games I bought over the years and kept them, those that came on floppy I imaged to cd disks cause they don't fail as quick. There used to be some great abandonware/shareware web sites but have not checked lately to see if they are still up.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 17, by Deczor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-02-23, 02:49:

Looks good but not sure I would have used such a tall case for a Mini board.

Thanks!
Didn't have much of a choice. The case and board and everything all came together as it was build when new.

Reply 4 of 17, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your motherboard seems to be a QDI US491P3..

Source: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?291 … 7-Problem-with-QDI-US491P3-mainboard-dead

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/Q/Q … 6-US486-P3.html

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 5 of 17, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't remember any of my friend's dads being into computers, but a couple of my uncles had some pretty nice systems.

Quick question; where do you guys get DOS games? I've been doing a lot of hunting, but a lot of them are packaged for DOSbox or SCUMM and I can't figure out how to extract those to use in an actual DOS machine.

I'm not certain about Steam or SCUMM games, but anything from GoG, you have to install using a newer PC first, and then it should be pretty obvious which files can be deleted and which can go on the CF card (sorting by date can help). CD-ROM titles are a little trickier, as they usually include an ISO file, but it will be disguised as a different file extension. I usually just find these, burn them to a disc, and install straight from that (and then do any patching manually). I'm pretty sure I saw a thread around here that had a Google Doc with more game-specific info.

It seems like they could have come up with a more simple/less wasteful way to distribute, but it's hard to complain when they offer so many great games and so much technical support.

Reply 6 of 17, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome semi-restoration project!
That big tower case looks so good, and that "Serious 486 Systems" is literally the Cherry on top! Thanks for sharing 😀

As per where to find games... Uhm... Have you tried those "free content" torrent sites?

Reply 7 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This something I remember without fondness, that special time in history where case manufacturers would go out of their way to leave a razor sharp burr on every edge. This won't do.

The Blood God demands sacrifices!

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 17, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That guy at the recycling station should really be training his colleagues around the world! 😀

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 12 of 17, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really like that case. Those are awesomme and have tons of room for drives and drives and even more drives.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13 of 17, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great post! I do love your choice of titles. Even though I never had a friend's dad with a huge, powerful 486 tower, I can definitely see that scenario playing out with lots of kids back in the day. 😀

As for DOS games, I got most of mine on GOG, with a few from Steam. Basically, if it's packaged with DOSBox, chances are good it can be made to work in real DOS. Most of the time it's just copying over the game folder and deleting a few files. Sometimes, you need to burn install CDs from packaged images. Even a couple of SCUMM-packaged games will work as long as the .EXE is in there. Here's a list of games made to work from GOG/Steam:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jojqk … P5eQ/edit#gid=0

Cheers!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 15 of 17, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you were anything like me in the early 90's you hung out with people who were interested in computers at school and used their machines when you could to play Wolfenstien and Lemmings. Invariably there would be one friend whose dad would have a massive tower that you weren't allowed to use and you'd be relegated to the older 386. That big machine would look something like this

Yes! I kind of owe my PC fascination to a friend whose dad bought every new shiny thing. Laserdisc player, Dolby Pro Logic receiver with THX certification, Bose Acoustimass cubes? Check. Tower 386 with a CD-ROM drive and sound card? Check!! Laser printer, fancy NEC high-res CRT, tape backup, scanner, ..... yep! If we couldn't afford it, his dad had it. By coincidence, my dad's independent interests mostly followed, but a year or so behind -- just long enough for me to have worked up a case of envy.

Of the 30ish places I emailed, only one dude came back to me saying he had what he suspected was an unused 486 machine. He sent me a few pictures, I liked it, $200 later it arrived at my door. [...] The guy at the recycling place had put it aside a year or so ago because it was too nice to bin. He also helpfully cut the battery out. It hadn't leaked yet, but he thought it best to get it out of there and replace it with this

Not all heroes wear capes.

It was about this time that I got my first hit of AT case rash. This something I remember without fondness, that special time in history where case manufacturers would go out of their way to leave a razor sharp burr on every edge.

At a computer store I worked at circa 2000, it was known as "Asian death metal".

The board seems like a cheaper thing, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. Maybe you guys have a better idea

486 boards have a special quality about them. They're a little cleaner than earlier generations, having integrated the core functionality into a couple ASICs, but still have that exciting early-PC build-it-yourself feel to them. It reminds me of all the excitement of saving up, buying parts, then finally having everything you need to take them from their boxes and assemble a working PC!

Unfortunately there isn't really a place that caters to original HW. Many of us have old collections. I scour eBay for ones I don't have and always wanted. Pricing sanity varies wildly. GOG used to be better, but they're getting way too "user friendly" for their own good now -- meaning it's all getting pruned and bundled, or even "remastered" to run better on new OSes. Ugh. Of course, now that it's commercially available again, the Abandonware sites shy away. Annoying.

Reply 16 of 17, by Deczor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Weebob wrote on 2020-02-24, 21:32:

Floppy drive for the CF to IDE, why didn't I think of that! It's been a massive hold up on my current build as I didn't want the thing round the back.
Top work!

Thanks! I'm going to start making front mounted readers that are a lot cleaner than this, which was just a bodge job with what I had lying around.

I think one if these trimmed a bit, then mounted to a bay cover with a very cleanly cut slot of the card and a panel mount LED.

51ivn6HW9oL._SL1000_.jpg

I know something similar exists, but they're stupid expensive and hard to find.

https://www.addonics.com/products/adidecf.php

Reply 17 of 17, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My parents abhorred anything related personal computer and branded them as "life wastage". It wouldn't take much to imagine what would be like to find out your teenage collection was tossed out along with some memorabilia.

Btw, I'm glad to see a 486 came to the right hand and started a new life.