User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DNSDies wrote on 2020-02-25, 20:10:

Real OPL3 and OPL2

But why both?
Isn's OPL3 100% compatible with OPL2 ?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 21 of 30, by Apolojuice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
For real, an ¡AudioLoca! card featuring the best audio chips of all time would be cool. […]
Show full quote

For real, an ¡AudioLoca! card featuring the best audio chips of all time would be cool.

Lets see:
SB Pro/16
Real OPL3 and OPL2
Gravis Ultrasound
Roland LAPC-1
Roland SC-55

What else can we throw in there?
Disney Sound Source?
A3D and EAX support?

You forgot Adlib Platinum, the only sound card in the world that have OPL3 Adlib compatibility (to itself), correct left/right stereo channels, general midi port with no hanging note midi bug, and clean audio output.

I only forget.

Reply 22 of 30, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2020-02-25, 20:44:

Isn's OPL3 100% compatible with OPL2 ?

It's like 99% compatible. I can't remember the exact game but some racing title runs it like a DAC in a way that doesn't work on an OPL3.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 23 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
For real, an ¡AudioLoca! card featuring the best audio chips of all time would be cool. […]
Show full quote

For real, an ¡AudioLoca! card featuring the best audio chips of all time would be cool.

Lets see:
SB Pro/16
Real OPL3 and OPL2
Gravis Ultrasound
Roland LAPC-1
Roland SC-55

What else can we throw in there?
Disney Sound Source?
A3D and EAX support?

You need PAS 8-bit and PAS 16 as well. Also need AWE32/64 (EMU8000) support as well as Ensoniq Soundscape.
Don't forget about ARIA16.
Don't forget intelligent MIDI (would that be included in LAPC-I )? We would also want a front panel for the MT-32 / LAPC-I so we could see the cool readouts for intelligent mode games.
We also want the ability to add RAM and have support for every type of loadable soundfont/soundbank available.
Also need a waveblaster header... or maybe more than one while we are at it. Since something like this would need to be a full length card or multiple cards hooked together, why not add a bunch of different waveblaster headers and the ability to enable any combination as well as a built in mixer with controllers for each header. We could then play whataver ones we want at the same time and set the volume on each independently so they sound good together.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25 of 30, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't ¡AudioLoca! actually an add-on board, requiring an existing soundcard with pass-through cables and big relays? Actually extracting sound from the existing card even before it is generated to manipulate and enhance and playback at ANY speed up to and including ludicrous?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 27 of 30, by GrizzlyAdams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, so far the CoVox simulation is great! 😁

eeguru's been tied up with his job and not been able to dedicate the time he wanted to towards getting the other modes going fully. Technically its not emulation, but simulation since its all done in hardware. The idea is to drop it in, configure it up (Using ¡AudioLoca!'s plug'n'pray util), then launch your games with whatever the optimal sound config for the game is. The game has MT32 Intelligent mode? no problem. Tandy/PCjr Sound? Easy. There are headers on the card for classic wavetable boards, or a raspberry pi can be used to run something like MUNT. I believe the plans still include an onboard Dream IC. He showed it off some and gave a talk about it at VCF MidWest last year.

Reply 29 of 30, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2020-02-27, 03:18:

No, ¡AudioLoca! == The one sound card to rule them all from eeguru. He even refers to it as Audio Loca during the talk and shows the Bitchin' 3D ad.

Reply 30 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-02-25, 00:25:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCEXbspWuI

Model 420 likely requires some herbal compounds to work

Dangit, still looking for a boxed one 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!