VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i was checking online for fic manual and drivers. this site used to work o the past : ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/driver/1stUtilities_v1.292

but now it has been shut down

there is a backup site i found for example http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/ftp-archives/ftp.f … 1.292/v1292.iso
but the site is completely slow on me 10KB/sec speed , like 3 days to download an iso image.

I tried using IDM, with 16 connections, 2 days waiting and the iso ended up being corrupted.
Just wanted to kow if anyone was able to do a complete backup on their site, maybe it can be upladed to archive.org like it happened with the abit ftp site.

Reply 1 of 53, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's unfortunate, I was using that just a couple of months ago. It's a real shame the internet archive doesn't do anything for the contents of FTPs, since the fic.com.tw website only links to the FTP from the internet archive, which doesn't work...

The cwcyrix.duckdns.org site is probably someone's home internet if it's only going at 10KB/s?
Maybe get in touch with CW and see if they can send across a full archive some other way.

I can't find any other full archives. There's a partial archive here, but it doesn't have the file you're after:
ftp://ftp.algo-hk.cz/MIRRORS/ftp.fica.com/

Reply 2 of 53, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, someone on Twitter told me today. I just located my compressed archive and I am going to upload the entire thing from October 2015 to the Internet Archive later this week. Same person also told me I am now the only one that has the directory.

This is the entire FTP archive from late 2015. Some point after that, they uploaded some Windows 10 factory images for some newer machines to the FTP server. However, I never updated the archive as they were over 9GB each in size.

Edit: Should be done Wednesday at the earliest (assuming nothing else happens). Would've been done Monday, but I goofed somewhere on the upload form, and it also 403'd. I'll bump this thread when it uploads successfully.

Edit 2: Was using another laptop and wired connection to upload this; took two days. It's somehow faster with Wi-Fi...? 🤨 If so, then Tuesday...

Last edited by AmiSapphire on 2020-03-16, 15:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 3 of 53, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AmiSapphire wrote on 2020-03-14, 21:59:

Yeah, someone on Twitter told me today. I just located my compressed archive and I am going to upload the entire thing from October 2015 to the Internet Archive later this week. Same person also told me I am now the only one that has the directory.

This is the entire FTP archive from late 2015. Some point after that, they uploaded some Windows 10 factory images for some newer machines to the FTP server. However, I never updated the archive as they were over 9GB each in size.

thanks for sharing, It is good to know that someone made a backup.
I am looking for a bunch of original CD motherboard images and it is tough, specially when the companies dissapear and their sites get taken down, like soyo, epox, abit.

Still we have great vogons users that share the image if they got the cd motherboard for that model.

I read Intel also took down many of their drivers. So in the future we depend on each other to get drivers and documentation. 😀

Reply 4 of 53, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The FTP archive is uploaded on the Archive here: https://archive.org/details/ftp.fic.com.tw-20151022

Why I archived it in the first place (and it's a weird one): I bought a FIC PA-2013 rev. 2.1 motherboard in 2014, got that, then downloaded some things for the board from their server. Before that, I owned a FIC FA15T board (RIP). Then, for some reason in October 2015, I was going to mirror their entire FTP server.

I also have a (very incomplete) AOpen FTP mirror from the same year, but it's not much of a priority right now.

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 5 of 53, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 53, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great, thank you! I happen to own the FIC SD-11 Slot A mainboard (the one with the funky layout that looks like it was some sort of prototype). Glad to see all the files archived!

My retro computers

Reply 9 of 53, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AmiSapphire wrote on 2020-03-17, 04:24:

I also have a (very incomplete) AOpen FTP mirror from the same year, but it's not much of a priority right now.

there's a ton of stuff on the AOpen FTP, and it could go dark any day now - might want to back that one up too

Reply 10 of 53, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-03-17, 15:34:
AmiSapphire wrote on 2020-03-17, 04:24:

there's a ton of stuff on the AOpen FTP, and it could go dark any day now - might want to back that one up too

Yeah, my backup stops at /pub02/drivers/ somewhere and I stopped since because the TW server would throttle at 12Kb/s then stop at random. Then I would alternate between AOpen's four FTP mirrors for the data. I was almost done with pub02, too...

What I have now for AOpen's FTP server seems to be nearly 50GB now. I should grab /pub03/ before getting the rest of /pub02/, but I will have to find another machine to continue this process from.

Reply 11 of 53, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've started to back it up entirely.

I've also backed up Acer's european FTP, but I don't know how to send it to archive.org, the web based thing crashes and I'm not sure to understand the command line based instructions correctly ...

I think we should make a thread dedicated to backing up old FTPs/drivers, or a thread listing every FTP backup topic.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 12 of 53, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-03-17, 18:28:

I've started to back it up entirely.

I've also backed up Acer's european FTP, but I don't know how to send it to archive.org, the web based thing crashes and I'm not sure to understand the command line based instructions correctly ...

I think we should make a thread dedicated to backing up old FTPs/drivers, or a thread listing every FTP backup topic.

When I backed up the Sony ftp and then uploaded it to archive.org, I had to break the archive into a bunch of different .zip files because it can only handle so big of a file.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 53, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well Acer's euro FTP is 450GB large so that's not going to happen either x)
People managed to send huge files (similar size), I'm sure there's a way to do it without cutting the archives !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 14 of 53, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-03-17, 19:00:

Well Acer's euro FTP is 450GB large so that's not going to happen either x)
People managed to send huge files (similar size), I'm sure there's a way to do it without cutting the archives !

I can download and upload that much no problem. Yay for unlimited data and a fast-ish connection.

When I downloaded the Sony ftp, it took a multiple days to download everything and then 4 days nonstop to upload to archive.org.
106 .zip files that are about 4.4GB each.

https://archive.org/details/ftp.vaio-link.com

Way better to split into multiple .zip files than to have to download the whole thing all at once.

It isn't manually split, I specified the size per file in 7-Zip and just let it do it's thing. You have to have all the files downloaded before you extract.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 53, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I have started to split the files into 4GB zip files ... it's going to take over 6 hours.

Meanwhile I have downloaded 60GB from Aopen's FTP so far.

Reply 16 of 53, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aopen's FTP is 90GB large. Currently turning into a tar archive. Now I'm uploading the 104 zip file I made yesterday ^^

Reply 17 of 53, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I still have this error message "there was a network error" and I have to start all over again ... hurray

Reply 18 of 53, by piatd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gex85 wrote on 2020-03-17, 15:18:

Great, thank you! I happen to own the FIC SD-11 Slot A mainboard (the one with the funky layout that looks like it was some sort of prototype). Glad to see all the files archived!

And thank you from me for the exact same reason. I have a FIC SD-11 that I need to test for my 1999 build.

Reply 19 of 53, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2020-03-18, 10:57:

Aopen's FTP is 90GB large. Currently turning into a tar archive. Now I'm uploading the 104 zip file I made yesterday ^^

hey deksor, nice to see people backing up sites before they dissapear,
im really glad people in this forum is doing it for the purpose of retro-humanity 😁

i remember a while back on the aopen site when i searched for old motherboards i own that the links to the files were not working anymore, i wonder if the fpt got those files
can you share the link of the ftp address of aopen Motherboard drivers?

thanks