VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking for a way to use a flash stick as a hard drive.

I've tried a few drivers (not including that expensive payware one) but the closest I've gotten to success is my USB stick showing up as a network drive.

Does anyone have a method that works on their machine? There seems to be several methods, but the ones I've tried so far aren't working.

Does anybody have experience with a solution that worked?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-17, 02:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use usbaspi.sys together with nj32disk.sys. Add these to CONFIG.SYS and it should work with FAT16 USB storage. Works for me in MS-DOS mode on Windows 95, so it should also work with DOS 6.22.

http://hddguru.com/download/software/USBASPI- … baspi-v2.20.zip
https://www.jumpjet.info/Application-Software … SK/NJ32DISK.zip

Reply 3 of 14, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2020-03-16, 03:50:

Have you tried this? http://bretjohnson.us/

Yes actually, one of his utilities revealed that my USB controller is UHCI, which doesn't seem to be compatible.

Reply 4 of 14, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-03-16, 03:59:

Yes actually, one of his utilities revealed that my USB controller is UHCI, which doesn't seem to be compatible.

You sure of that? because the documentation actually states that UHCI (made by intel and VIA) is the *only"compatible controller so far.

Reply 5 of 14, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2020-03-16, 04:01:
Lylat1an wrote on 2020-03-16, 03:59:

You sure of that? because the documentation actually states that UHCI (made by intel and VIA) is the *only"compatible controller so far.

Mine uses an SiS chip, maybe that was the reason.

Reply 6 of 14, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a video on Youtube showing how to install a driver using one of the methods I tried before, but it's still not working for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cnTc9mMnpA

It seems he only adds two of the three files copied to the C: drive to CONFIG.SYS, and they seem to load on my machine, but they don't see my USB drive.

Do I need to do something with the DI1000DD.SYS file too?

Reply 7 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As not all drivers works with all computers, I'd try to try either:
- The boot disk from Puppy Linux.
- Hiren's Boot CD.

They include plenty of drivers, and menu driven selection of drivers. So, you can boot from one of those and try one by one every driver until you found which one will work with your hardware. Then, look into CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT to see how is it loaded and try it on your hard disk.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 14, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check if your motherboard BIOS support USB legacy mode. You don't need any 3rd-party drivers for USB in DOS if the motherboard BIOS support USB legacy mode and you are using the USB controllers from the chipsets.

Reply 10 of 14, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-17, 07:44:

Legacy mode is for keyboard and mouse only, which appear as ps/2 devices then.

Sometimes yes, but not necessarily/not only.

Mass_Storage_BIOS.jpg
Filename
Mass_Storage_BIOS.jpg
File size
241.5 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

E.g. contrary to the above with this board 'Legacy USB Support' also refers to USB Mass Storage Devices. If you disable 'Legacy USB Support' USB drives are also disabled and you cannot even boot from them:

USB_Legacy_ALL_or_Nothing.jpg
Filename
USB_Legacy_ALL_or_Nothing.jpg
File size
179.2 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Actually if you can boot from USB drives then your BIOS supports USB Mass storage devices as regular drives and no further drivers required regardless of OS. You only have to make sure that used file system is supported by your OS (in case of DOS it's FAT16/32).

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 12 of 14, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Around 2001-2002 onward bios' from Award and AMI etc started supporting booting from USB Mass storage devices. It will then treat the usb device as a hard drive accessed via INT 13h extensions seen as 80h for first hard disk.
This is very good in Dos7.1(fat32 + unlike dos 6.22 it also supports int13 extensions for larger disk sizes) as you can use USB stick or external usb SSD hard drive without any usb drivers loaded in dos. It is supported transparently directly through the bios.

As an example my gigabyte g41 motherboard I have booted via a fat32 2TB external SSD usb drive (partitioned with diskpart in win10, then formated with Winme format.com and sysed for dos boot files). Dos 7.1 sees this a single 2tb fat32 partition. Speed is around 32MB/s in speedsys, so the bios is using usb2 speeds. Yes it's slow for ssd but around 30-35mb is max for usb2 throughput.
Of course the downside of all this is motherboards from 2002 and newer are not great in themselves for dos compatibility as they mostly lack ISA slots.
It would be great if bios modders could add USB Mass storage boot support as a module to older boards like the 440BX. Even though it's limited to usb1 speed, usb boot support adds a lot of flexibility.

Last edited by Riikcakirds on 2022-06-19, 21:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 14, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NarakuITA wrote on 2022-06-19, 19:18:

So I should be installing DOS 7.1 and not 6.22?
This also explains why my Windows Workgroups 3.11 can't see the 32GB disk?

Yes, Dos7.1 adds support for fat32, int13 extensions and partitions and disk sizes up to 2TB. The limit is dependent on the motherboard bios. If the bios supports 48bit lba , dos 7.1 will work with drives up to 2TB(mainly motherboard and bios made after 2002).
The other way is using an external PCI controller like the promise TX2. That also supports drives up to 2TB under dos 7.1