VOGONS

HWiNFO for DOS resurrected !

Topic actions

Reply 640 of 881, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I might be able to get a PS/2 model 50 286 to boot enough to run this if it helps?

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 642 of 881, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No worried glad I asked before transplanting floppy drives and power supplies 😁

I guess the Amstrad PPC1640 is out of the question then hahaha 😁

Reply 643 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha, totally for now 😁
It's hard to make a single program that would support real ancient stuff and "modern" things like P4, etc. as well. Resources are limited and supporting a lot of HW means a large program, that's an issue in DOS.
There are ways of course how to do this (overlays, or PMode), but all that is too much effort considering the goal..
I need to keep the latest things up to date, so constantly switching between 386/ISA and latest things like Alder Lake, DDR5, PCIe6, AMD Zen4 is sometimes tedious 😁

Reply 644 of 881, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh completely understand - good to have you here doing updates at all 😀

Reply 645 of 881, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Restarted two other old-PCs, one is a 486-133, the other is a P166MMX Overdrive, let's see in detail the configuration of the two PCs.
The 486-133, would be an AMD 5X86-133MHz P75 CPU, the latest evolution of the 486 with multi 4X, compared to a P75 should have similar performance, but I don't know if this is actually the case, the motherboard is a BEK V429S VER2 .0, has three VLB and five ISA slots, a 256KB L2 cache (Four 64KB chips each and 15ns speed), the MB format is Baby-At, Opti chipset, as a video card I have a CL-GD5429 with 2MB of RAM (expanded long ago by adding two 512KB chips), a VLB controller with two IDE-40PIN, ISA Opti 82C931 sound card, LAN ISA Realtek RTL8019AS chip, 16MB of RAM 72PIN (two 8MB) I believe EDO, 1GB HD with W95, 1.44MB Floppy.
Here exiting from W95 I can start DOS, and then run various benches, in particular by executing HWINFO I can consult all the items, but during the creation of the Debug file the PC freezes looking for "ATAPI device at port 1F0" in " Drive Information ", it is possible that the problem is in the PC but I need to check if it is due to the BIOS (low battery) or it is due to the controller.
The other PC is an Olidata LPX with Pentium 166MMX Overdrive CPU (previously I had a P133), with this CPU I don't need dual-voltage voltage regulators, the correct voltage for the core is provided by the CPU, and is therefore installable in all the old MB for Pentium (not MMX), it also has the multi automatically set to 2.5x, practically no need to set the jumpers, just change the CPU to have the PC updated.
Being a MB LPX it has a Riser with two PCI slots and one ISA on one side, and an ISA slot on the other, the chipset is an FX-66, the manufacturer is Intel the model I remember Advanced if I'm not mistaken M / A Monaco, om-board cache is 256KB, both video and audio are integrated, audio has a crystal chip (if I remember correctly), video is 1MB ATI MACH64, but there are two expansion sockets at 2MB, obviously it should be the equivalent of an ATI Mach 64 PCI.
Among the drives I have the 1.44MB floppy, a 4X CD-ROM drive, and a 4GB Maxtor HD (originally there was a 1275MB Conner but I put it in another PC because it was very slow).
Also here I have a problem with HWinfo, it crashes inside the program in "Peripherals Information", when it says "Checking: SB", obviously it is impossible to create the .LOG file, here I don't know if it depends on the direct connection to the MB, that is, it has its own connector instead of an ISA or PCI one, otherwise it has no problems, except a couple of! in the control panel (due to modem and USB drivers).

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 646 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC@LIVE wrote on 2021-07-08, 16:37:
Restarted two other old-PCs, one is a 486-133, the other is a P166MMX Overdrive, let's see in detail the configuration of the tw […]
Show full quote

Restarted two other old-PCs, one is a 486-133, the other is a P166MMX Overdrive, let's see in detail the configuration of the two PCs.
The 486-133, would be an AMD 5X86-133MHz P75 CPU, the latest evolution of the 486 with multi 4X, compared to a P75 should have similar performance, but I don't know if this is actually the case, the motherboard is a BEK V429S VER2 .0, has three VLB and five ISA slots, a 256KB L2 cache (Four 64KB chips each and 15ns speed), the MB format is Baby-At, Opti chipset, as a video card I have a CL-GD5429 with 2MB of RAM (expanded long ago by adding two 512KB chips), a VLB controller with two IDE-40PIN, ISA Opti 82C931 sound card, LAN ISA Realtek RTL8019AS chip, 16MB of RAM 72PIN (two 8MB) I believe EDO, 1GB HD with W95, 1.44MB Floppy.
Here exiting from W95 I can start DOS, and then run various benches, in particular by executing HWINFO I can consult all the items, but during the creation of the Debug file the PC freezes looking for "ATAPI device at port 1F0" in " Drive Information ", it is possible that the problem is in the PC but I need to check if it is due to the BIOS (low battery) or it is due to the controller.
The other PC is an Olidata LPX with Pentium 166MMX Overdrive CPU (previously I had a P133), with this CPU I don't need dual-voltage voltage regulators, the correct voltage for the core is provided by the CPU, and is therefore installable in all the old MB for Pentium (not MMX), it also has the multi automatically set to 2.5x, practically no need to set the jumpers, just change the CPU to have the PC updated.
Being a MB LPX it has a Riser with two PCI slots and one ISA on one side, and an ISA slot on the other, the chipset is an FX-66, the manufacturer is Intel the model I remember Advanced if I'm not mistaken M / A Monaco, om-board cache is 256KB, both video and audio are integrated, audio has a crystal chip (if I remember correctly), video is 1MB ATI MACH64, but there are two expansion sockets at 2MB, obviously it should be the equivalent of an ATI Mach 64 PCI.
Among the drives I have the 1.44MB floppy, a 4X CD-ROM drive, and a 4GB Maxtor HD (originally there was a 1275MB Conner but I put it in another PC because it was very slow).
Also here I have a problem with HWinfo, it crashes inside the program in "Peripherals Information", when it says "Checking: SB", obviously it is impossible to create the .LOG file, here I don't know if it depends on the direct connection to the MB, that is, it has its own connector instead of an ISA or PCI one, otherwise it has no problems, except a couple of! in the control panel (due to modem and USB drivers).

Thanks for the feedback! Could you please attach the resulting DBG files? Even if it freezes, it should save the last item that will help me to localize the problem.
BTW: Pressing F2 will save the actual screen into LOG file, this might be helpful when the entire automatic log hangs.

Reply 647 of 881, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-07-08, 17:01:
Restarted two other old-PCs, one is a 486-133, the other is a P166MMX Overdrive, let's see in detail the configuration of the tw […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the feedback! Could you please attach the resulting DBG files? Even if it freezes, it should save the last item that will help me to localize the problem.
BTW: Pressing F2 will save the actual screen into LOG file, this might be helpful when the entire automatic log hangs.

Ok thanks I'll try to recover the files from the pc.
I would like to understand if it is a hw problem or if it is looking for something it cannot find.
I'll try to try the F2 and if I notice differences, I hope to recover the files by evening, in case I put them as soon as possible.

Reply 648 of 881, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SteveC wrote on 2021-07-07, 12:58:

I might be able to get a PS/2 model 50 286 to boot enough to run this if it helps?

You could give a try on Dr.Hardware

My Retrosystems:
PIII on GA-6BA running Win98SE
AMD K6 233 on GA-586HX with Win95
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 6.22 on XTIDE-CF
M326 486DLC + 4c87dlc (Dos+Win3.11)
ECS UM4980 AMD DX2 80 5V (Dos & Win3.11)

Reply 649 of 881, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

So I start with the P166MMX Overdrive, since it is on the bench and I have been working on it for a while, I have already created the files, but I don't know if when I added a USB PCI card (NEC chip) with 5 ports, or before .
The card is useful for me to connect anything to the PC, but usually the use is for Pendrive.
For the 486-133 I think to restart it tomorrow by evening, in the meantime I put those of the P166-Ov

Attachments

• Filename
    HwinfoP166Ov.zip
    File size
    15.12 KiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 650 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC@LIVE wrote on 2021-07-08, 18:33:
So I start with the P166MMX Overdrive, since it is on the bench and I have been working on it for a while, I have already create […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

So I start with the P166MMX Overdrive, since it is on the bench and I have been working on it for a while, I have already created the files, but I don't know if when I added a USB PCI card (NEC chip) with 5 ports, or before .
The card is useful for me to connect anything to the PC, but usually the use is for Pendrive.
For the 486-133 I think to restart it tomorrow by evening, in the meantime I put those of the P166-Ov

Here it hangs at standard Sound Blaster detection. I'm wondering whether the card is working properly and perhaps is PnP-capable because the PnP information lists 1 PnP card, but trying to enumerate it fails as well.

║ PnP Capable Devices:      1 CSN                                          ║

███████████████████████████Plug-and-Play Devices████████████████████████████
║ ║
║ No devices present. ║

Reply 651 of 881, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-07-08, 19:48:
Here it hangs at standard Sound Blaster detection. I'm wondering whether the card is working properly and perhaps is PnP-capable […]
Show full quote
PC@LIVE wrote on 2021-07-08, 18:33:
So I start with the P166MMX Overdrive, since it is on the bench and I have been working on it for a while, I have already create […]
Show full quote

Here it hangs at standard Sound Blaster detection. I'm wondering whether the card is working properly and perhaps is PnP-capable because the PnP information lists 1 PnP card, but trying to enumerate it fails as well.

║ PnP Capable Devices:      1 CSN                                          ║

███████████████████████████Plug-and-Play Devices████████████████████████████
║ ║
║ No devices present. ║

Yes in windows it works, but on reflection it may be missing the driver or loading when I boot into DOS.
For this I can try some game like Doom or Duke3D, usually from there you know if everything is ok or not (for the audio of course).
As for whether it is PNP or not, I don't know but it is a card with a fairly common Crystal CS4232 chip, and I think it can easily be PNP, could the problem be integration? Again I don't know, but almost all motherboards are like this now, so I don't think that's a problem, unless intel has made some weird connection.
I will do other tests in DOS, to see if and how the audio works.
I do not know if it is useful but I put a photo to show you the card where the audio is connected, the chip instead is soldered on the MB, the connection is made via a flat cable (floppy type).
Here is a PC identical to mine where you can see how it is, I don't know if it might interest you:
https://www.nightfallcrew.com/18/02/2012/olid … entium-133-mhz/

Attachments

Reply 652 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the problem might be that the PnP card isn't initialized in DOS.
For BIOSes without PnP support HWiNFO performs the entire PnP sequence and isolates/inits cards. If the BIOS is PnP compliant, HWiNFO relies on the BIOS. So if the card isn't initialized I think it could have such effects.

Reply 653 of 881, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-07-08, 20:26:

Yes, the problem might be that the PnP card isn't initialized in DOS.
For BIOSes without PnP support HWiNFO performs the entire PnP sequence and isolates/inits cards. If the BIOS is PnP compliant, HWiNFO relies on the BIOS. So if the card isn't initialized I think it could have such effects.

I did some tests with the audio, and it works in dos if from Doom I select SoundBlaster, both as sounds and as music, everything should be ok in the sense that the audio is working.
However, that MB has a peculiarity, the audio works even if you do not connect the speakers, when they are disconnected the sound is heard from the speaker or from the buzzer present and visible in the picture next to the chips near the cpu.
So basically, the audio always works, and when you first load windows, it configures itself.
So I don't know if its audio drivers are loaded from DOS, to understand this I have to try other programs, in particular I should find a diagnostic for the sound card, so I can test if everything works.
Meanwhile I have to look for the files it loads when DOS starts, to see if there is a line like "SET BLASTER ...", if not there I should try to add it, and see if it solves the problem.
Finally it occurs to me that I have a PCI modem card in that PC, and that that too has a built-in speaker, so it might have an audio driver, and maybe that's the one that interferes and creates problems?

Attachments

Reply 654 of 881, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I worked on both PCs to try to solve the blocking problem when creating the Log and Dbg files.
In the Pentium Ov. I added lines in the autoexec and config files that load the audio and CD driver.
I noticed that when on first boot it enters W98 the audio works normally, as soon as I restart in dos mode and type exit to go back to w98 instead the problem arises, the audio no longer works and there seems to be something that overlaps creating the problem.
I still don't understand what it is, but I have to do some checks with other software to see if they find where the problem is.
Regarding the PC AMD 5x86-133 P75 (it is the one in signature), I have not solved anything yet, but I have run the previous version of the program and it has shown me what could create the problem, for this I put some photos.
I also ran the version for win32, I was interested in seeing if it displayed useful info, and I also did the bench, after a long wait the result was partial, there is only the fpu bench and nothing else.
Going back to the previous dos version, I noticed that it has a "Benchmark" line, it seems to me that there is no (?) In the latest version.
I attach the compressed files of the 133-P75, I don't know if you create problems in the win9x Dos, but anyway I think it shouldn't be a problem.

Attachments

Reply 655 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I think the hang in HWiNFO is due to some interaction with W98. It's always best to run HWiNFO from clean DOS.
On the other hand I noticed that the sound card was properly recognized here. Most likely because this system doesn't have a PnP-compliant BIOS, so HWiNFO did the whole PnP init on its own and that worked well.

Reply 656 of 881, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-07-09, 20:01:

Thanks. I think the hang in HWiNFO is due to some interaction with W98. It's always best to run HWiNFO from clean DOS.
On the other hand I noticed that the sound card was properly recognized here. Most likely because this system doesn't have a PnP-compliant BIOS, so HWiNFO did the whole PnP init on its own and that worked well.

You're welcome. In fact I thought that was the problem, so I should try again by changing the hard drive with a CF-IDE adapter with DOS 6 and try to create the files from there.
I will see if I can do it in the next few days, in the meantime I would like to start other old-PCs, including the athlon 800, a celeron 300A, and other socket 7 with amd intel and cyrix cpu.
There would also be the Pentium Pro 200, and various PIII Slot 1s, but I will try these later.

Reply 657 of 881, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried it for the first time on my 386SX with 1MB of RAM - not enough memory. Bummer...

“Hey, you sass that hoopy MrWho? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
My home retro drivers repository: ftp://retro:drivers@mrwho.duckdns.org

Reply 658 of 881, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

mrwho @ Try Navratil system info, when is HWinfo not working its good alternative, in overall still a bit better at least for me.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 659 of 881, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2021-07-11, 12:37:

mrwho @ Try Navratil system info, when is HWinfo not working its good alternative, in overall still a bit better at least for me.

Thank you. Will do!

“Hey, you sass that hoopy MrWho? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
My home retro drivers repository: ftp://retro:drivers@mrwho.duckdns.org