VOGONS

First post, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using my AMD K6-2+ based retro PC for quite a while now, and I'm very happy with how it turned out. It's been my gaming station and a writing station (Multi-Edit for DOS is still my favourite text editor out there, and writing in a distraction-free environment is incredibly productive).

However, it has one downside: it's a full-size ATX system which means that it's a bit too large, especially now, since both me and my wife are going to work from home for the foreseeable future.

I would like to assemble another retro PC based on my VIA EPIA 800 which is a mini-ITX motherboard featuring DOS-compatible integrated sound. However, I also want to use an external graphics card (S3 Savage 4 PCI) and a full-size CD-ROM drive with it.

So, my question is: what is the smallest currently available ITX case with an expansion slot and a 5.25" bay? I don't need anything superficial such as front USB sockets etc (the motherboard doesn't have a standard USB header anyway).

Last edited by ShovelKnight on 2020-03-23, 15:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Chieftec UNI BT-02B is probably the smallest

if you want something more fancy could look for a Lian Li PC-Q07

other contenders that are a little bit bigger:
Sharkoon Shark Zone C10
Cooler Master Elite 120 / 130

Reply 2 of 7, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want a full-size 5.25 inch bay and an upright expansion slot (as opposed to a right-angle expansion slot), you're looking at one of the boxy cubes like the Cooler Master Elite 130 .

If you're willing to use a slimline / laptop optical drive and a right angle adapter with your PCI slot, you can use certain slimline cases like the Silverstone RVZ01B (slot loading) or RVZ02B (tray loading). The slimline drives are really, really cheap right now, even the cool slot loading variety.

Reply 4 of 7, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

they should according to the pinout, depends on the drive and adapter you're using I guess, but even then the chieftec is still the smallest case, most small ITX cases for slimline drives don't have an expansion slot.

Chieftec Elox BT-04 and BT-06 might be worth a look too if using a slim drive.

Reply 6 of 7, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-03-23, 15:22:

This PC will be used for DOS games, so I need analog audio out. Do slim-line IDE drives actually support audio out? Sorry, I'm completely unfamiliar with them.

It's dependent on the adapter, not the drive. This one has the analog audio out.

Reply 7 of 7, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, when it comes to desktop drives, some of them didn't have analog audio support even though they had appropriate headers. I don't know if it also happened to laptop drives, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.