VOGONS

First post, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i managed to get a toshiba tecra 730cdt perfectly working.

specs are :
Resolution 1024 x 768
Video Memory 2 MB - PCI video bus w/burst mode Video Chip Set C&T HIQV32 (CT65550)

so far i was able to install win95 and the original toshiba drivers for video and sound, all working good on windows.

I read on the forum that there is a tool called VEXP to have better screen size resolution for DOS gaming,
and you can load it on DOS or windows as: VEXP M2 T

I tried different combinations, M1 , M2, 25 , 43, 50.
The sreen size did change a lot on many games, but there is a lot of space on top, bottom, left and right part of the screen that is not used.
I wanted to know if thats normal, and vexp is giving as much as it can.
Maybe the tool was designed to work on 800x600 lcd screens and not 1024x768

also some games still showed smaller screen while playing but full screen on the game menu, kind of weird.

Reply 1 of 3, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've seen a few threads about this issue, and other people using that utility on XGA panels experienced the same. I just bought a CT65554 machine with an XGA panel, so I guess my Panasonic CF-62 will probably do the same.

Reply 2 of 3, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
radiounix wrote on 2020-03-28, 01:06:

I've seen a few threads about this issue, and other people using that utility on XGA panels experienced the same. I just bought a CT65554 machine with an XGA panel, so I guess my Panasonic CF-62 will probably do the same.

Problem with laptop, not with panel.

VEXP utility works fine on NEC Versa 6200MX (with 1024x768) and not works on 730CDT

By the way, just checked my TwinHead SlimNote P79TE (800x600) works well with this utility, but not necessary, cause it have screen expansion option in the bios.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 3 of 3, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

its quite a nice laptop, too bad the vexp utility works but not fully.

i think the utility was made for 800x600 screens and not for 1024x768, because on this toshiba i still get black bars on all sides.

and after so many years, the original developer of the utility might be lost forever, and he might have an idea of whats going on

also this notebook has a small fan on the back, that i have left the pc on for many hours and it never spins
i wonder if the fan is defective or what temperature it needs to reach for it to kick