VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi !

I have several i440BX motherboards which all need the same type of I/O shield (2 ps/2 ports on the top, then two usb and finally 2 com and 1 parallel, and sometimes sound), but I haven't been able to find a great source for these even though they're pretty standard.

Does anyone have an idea ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 26, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can't find them online, Try an electronics recycling facilty.

I work at one and we get old computers in all the time.

A metal recycling facility might get them too.

Reply 2 of 26, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-03-24, 23:51:

Hi !

I have several i440BX motherboards which all need the same type of I/O shield (2 ps/2 ports on the top, then two usb and finally 2 com and 1 parallel, and sometimes sound), but I haven't been able to find a great source for these even though they're pretty standard.

Does anyone have an idea ?

There was a couple selling those on online. One guy in Netherlands selling really good I/O for reasonable back a few months ago, they worked well with Asus P2B-F and other similar back panel layouts. The other had same with punchable parts for the audio . Will check my purchase history and if either still has any will PM you the link (it will take some time, can't remember if thru ebay or alibay or alibaba 🤣). Here is a pic of the two I have left

Attachments

• IO_shields.jpg
    Filename
    IO_shields.jpg
    File size
    169.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 26, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-03-25, 01:35:

Looks for bunldes/lots on ebay. I bought a lot of about 40-50 once and I have usually been able to find something close enough. Individual ones are often quite expensive.

And what do you do with the other 40 you do not need ? 🤣 Maybe you have one he could use.

Sorry Deksor neither one has any left. They averaged about $7 each with shipping just for reference...
Well worth it since a good PB2-F goes for about $100

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 26, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@kolderman
The thing is, the ones I need are standard, so any of them should match any motherboard 😁

@Lylat1an
Unfortunately recycling facilites don't let people buy stuff from them here unfortunately, if they did, I'd be right there to buy retro stuff from them x)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a fantastic thread on VOGONS with 3d models for most common retro atx io shields, if you can locate that you can download the model from that and have it printed on grey plastic.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 26, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ports must be grounded - that is, connected to the casing via the i/o shield. I would not use a 3d-printed one as anything else than a temporary solution. With the ports not being grounded, there's a high risk to cause damage whenever you plug in or unplug a device. So better do it right from the outset and get a proper i/o shield.

Reply 10 of 26, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, but unfortunately I haven't found what I'm looking for there ...
What I need is what @Horun pictured.

Reply 11 of 26, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-25, 13:22:

The ports must be grounded - that is, connected to the casing via the i/o shield. I would not use a 3d-printed one as anything else than a temporary solution. With the ports not being grounded, there's a high risk to cause damage whenever you plug in or unplug a device. So better do it right from the outset and get a proper i/o shield.

If you use metal standoffs and screw to mount the motherboard, the ports are already grounded.

Just sayin'...

Reply 12 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-25, 13:22:

The ports are grounded to the PCB ground which is grounded to the chassis, the extra grounding from the io shield is redundant to the max.

Reply 13 of 26, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's not the same, because you have no shielding to discharge any electric charge between the PC and the device you plug in when using a plastic i/o shield.

But just as with ESD, people tend not to listen. It's just a word of warning. You are free to use a 3d-printed i/o shield if you don't care.

Reply 14 of 26, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I feel I should point out there are no standard IO shields - ATX only requires they fit within the rectangle somewhere? Even ones that look very, very similar can be different by a few millimeters...and it makes them as incompatible as any others. I have learned this the hard way, even with two mobos by the same manufacturer (but different models).

You either one for the exact model, or plenty to try until you hit a match.

Reply 15 of 26, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i never heard such bullshit,
the ports all grounded, even without io shield.
The only sense it has is EMV Shielding.

i have a lot of Shields for BX440 boards..
if you live in EU i can send some..

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 16 of 26, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well back into the pentium 2 era, they all matched (I have many of these boards and few I/o shields and they all match

Reply 17 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-25, 17:41:

That's not the same, because you have no shielding to discharge any electric charge between the PC and the device you plug in when using a plastic i/o shield.

But just as with ESD, people tend not to listen. It's just a word of warning. You are free to use a 3d-printed i/o shield if you don't care.

Sammler, as long as the ports themselves are connected to the PCB ground plane (which they are) there is no reason for extra grounding through the IO plate. What you say does not make sense electrically..

Reply 19 of 26, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote on 2020-03-25, 18:32:
i never heard such bullshit, the ports all grounded, even without io shield. The only sense it has is EMV Shielding. […]
Show full quote

i never heard such bullshit,
the ports all grounded, even without io shield.
The only sense it has is EMV Shielding.

i have a lot of Shields for BX440 boards..
if you live in EU i can send some..

flupke11 wrote on 2020-03-25, 21:39:

Same here, if the EU (or Britain) is your turf, I can also help out.

Agree matze79 ! they are metal mostly for RF and EMF shielding. The metal around each backpanel part are soldered to ground on every board I have seen.
You guys are great ! Deksor I would send you one of mine but live in USA and they currently charge a butt load to mail anything (including a letter) to Europe. Stupid USPS !