VOGONS

First post, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just won a minty Toughbook CF-62 on EBay. Pentium 133, real L2 cache, CT65550 video and ESS1688 audio - not sure why nobody seems to talk about these. Anyway, It still has the original 1.3GB hard disk, which is worrisome agewise and too small to stash ISOs on and mount locally. I'm looking ideally for 8GB internally and 8-16GB via PCMCIA-> compactflash.

I've read threads on various storage solutions and nothing seems sure. All these old laptops have myriad idiosyncrasies and so do the various CFs, SATA bridges .etc. Nothing is sure. Whatever people use, it looks like they usually bought tons of parts to get lucky on something compatible. This is to be my only vintage computer; I can't have tons of cheap "just in case."

Does anyone have one, or did anyone have a CF-62 back in the day and upgrade the drive? I can't find out what the Bios drive limitations are, if there are any BIOS updates, and if it hangs or otherwise behaves erraticly with a disk over any of the Bios limits. I'm tempted to just buy a more modern 20-40GB drive for cheap, but I'm expecting it won't boot it.

Thanks for any info.

Reply 1 of 2, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update: I found two period Usenet posts where people indicated both the CF-62 and CF-61 would not work with a larger but still small spinning disk. I'm not quite sure what didn't work, or if a drive overlay solves anything.

Reply 2 of 2, by Throwaway2747

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
radiounix wrote on 2020-03-27, 14:19:
I just won a minty Toughbook CF-62 on EBay. Pentium 133, real L2 cache, CT65550 video and ESS1688 audio - not sure why nobody se […]
Show full quote

I just won a minty Toughbook CF-62 on EBay. Pentium 133, real L2 cache, CT65550 video and ESS1688 audio - not sure why nobody seems to talk about these. Anyway, It still has the original 1.3GB hard disk, which is worrisome agewise and too small to stash ISOs on and mount locally. I'm looking ideally for 8GB internally and 8-16GB via PCMCIA-> compactflash.

I've read threads on various storage solutions and nothing seems sure. All these old laptops have myriad idiosyncrasies and so do the various CFs, SATA bridges .etc. Nothing is sure. Whatever people use, it looks like they usually bought tons of parts to get lucky on something compatible. This is to be my only vintage computer; I can't have tons of cheap "just in case."

Does anyone have one, or did anyone have a CF-62 back in the day and upgrade the drive? I can't find out what the Bios drive limitations are, if there are any BIOS updates, and if it hangs or otherwise behaves erraticly with a disk over any of the Bios limits. I'm tempted to just buy a more modern 20-40GB drive for cheap, but I'm expecting it won't boot it.

Thanks for any info.

Hey, do you still have the toughbook? I have a cf-61 with no drive caddy and it's near impossible to find one online. Is there any way you could send me a picture of the caddy or anything to help me out? Been looking for a long time but there's next to no info that I can find.