VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

While trying to figure out why some of my games (Privateer, Doom) are not working with my Waveblaster on my AWE32 (port 300) along side my MPU-IPC-T (port 330) and others work perfectly (ultima VIII,) I decided to dig out my SCC-1 and mess with it.

Years ago, when I bought this seemingly rare card from ebay, I could never get it to output to my MT-32. I have installed it in a Pentium 133 system, and have connected the midi out on the SCC-1 to the midi in on the MT-32, but the card doesn't communicate with the MT-32.

Any ideas?

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 13, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Other questions:

How feasible is it to connect the MT-32 in some other way? I don't know if I can use a gameport-midi cable in tandem with a Gravis Phoenix, or if I can put the MPU-IPC-T card in the same machine as the SCC-1, as I know that even if changing the ports to avoid conflicts, many games are hardcoded for port 330.

The SCC-1 is playing GM music, it just appears that the midi out is faulty on this card, unless I am missing something...

Reply 2 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are the jumpers set to on the SCC-1 ?

Did you verify that the MIDI cable is good?

SCC-1 manual:
http://chiclassiccomp.org/docs/content/comput … and%20SCC-1.pdf

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 13, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-04-04, 23:38:
What are the jumpers set to on the SCC-1 ? […]
Show full quote

What are the jumpers set to on the SCC-1 ?

Did you verify that the MIDI cable is good?

SCC-1 manual:
http://chiclassiccomp.org/docs/content/comput … and%20SCC-1.pdf

Thank you, I will read the manual.

The only jumper that I see is for IRQ, which is set to 2. I looked for other jumpers, though all I can see are two tiny switches labeled A1 and A2. The cable worked to connect the MT-32 to a Live! Drive a couple of years back.

Reply 4 of 13, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to the manual, I have the SCC-1 set to IRQ 2, Port 330. It just isn't communicating with the MT-32. Perhaps there is something wrong with the card, though it plays music if games are set to General Midi, utilizing the SCC-1's sounds. It just doesn't pass anything to the MT-32...

Reply 8 of 13, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2020-05-05, 16:05:

are you using the the original SCC-1 cable for the midi port?

When I b ought the SCC-1 from ebay, it came with a midi cable, maybe it was 8 inches or so. I tried that one and I tried two cables that came with a Sound Blaster Platinum I/O drive. Is the wiring for the SCC-1 midi cable different from other midi/mini-din cables?

Reply 9 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah this is the case most likely
I will make an easy schematic so you can crosscheck your cables , give me some mins - you will need a multimeter in continuity mode

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here it is, please verify that you have these connections - if any of the 3 is not good or the pinout is different then it would explain why the mt-32 is not working

1NOq7ozl.png

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 13, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2020-05-05, 16:20:
here it is, please verify that you have these connections - if any of the 3 is not good or the pinout is different then it would […]
Show full quote

here it is, please verify that you have these connections - if any of the 3 is not good or the pinout is different then it would explain why the mt-32 is not working

1NOq7ozl.png

Thank you for the schematic. My multimeter pins are too large, so I need to grab a paperclip to insert into the midi-holes. I can't find the cable that came with the SCC-1 at the moment, but if it is a matter of a differently wired cable, I would be happy to buy another mini-din and cut/splice it. Being able to connect my MT-32 to the SCC-1 would solved a lot of problems and allow me to sell my MPU-IPC-T card/box! Most people over the years have told me that any of these cables should work. It makes me wonder, if the wiring is different on the SCC-1, if those people even had an SCC-1 or if they assumed that they were wired the same.

So Roland used proprietary cables rather than the straight midi-to-mini din?

EDIT: My multimeter isn't working, but I found this link, and that individual is successfully using the creative midi cables I have on hand with an SCC-1. I think my midi ports are dead on my SCC-1. It is strange, since the card works otherwise...

Roland SCC-1 MIDI in/out cables

Reply 12 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well maybe you have a bad cable, only a multimeter will tell for sure
In each SCC-1 there were 2x cables so it was no issue if their pinout was custom

Reply 13 of 13, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2020-05-05, 18:24:

well maybe you have a bad cable, only a multimeter will tell for sure
In each SCC-1 there were 2x cables so it was no issue if their pinout was custom

When I figure out what is wrong with/replace mu multimeter, I'll test things out. completely forgot about my multimeter and using one to test these things. I used it when I posted on Vogons about a proprietary mouse connector on my Zida 4DPS Tomato board.

I wish that there was a way to repair the card, but I don't know how to solder and work with such small parts.

I still think that I may ultimately sell this SCC-1 and use a Dreamblaster X2 and the AWE64 Legacy with it's hard mpu, when it comes out. It is difficult to say, since the SCC-1 is so iconic and rare. I may keep it to slap into another retro box.

The quest for the ultimate 1980-2000 rig continues...