VOGONS

First post, by cabezonnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys!

I'm from Chile and yes we're so quarantined right now, so I try to boot up an old external CD-Writer (HP 8210E) in my win98 rig but after i hook it up, the system recongizes it but don't read any cd.
I know the unit works cuz i tested it in my Win10 system and works great and read the CDs so i think its a driver issue.

I've search through a lot of websites and try some files and none of them works. So if you have a good site with old drivers or any tip it would be great.

Thanks a lot guys! Stay in the computer, stay safe!

Attachments

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 1400mhz / MSI KT2 VIA VT8366A / 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM / Nvidia Geforce 3 / Soundblaster Live! / SB Audigy front panel / SONY SDM-S71 17" LCD / Win 98 SE

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only driver that may work (from HP) is attached but you may also need to update the Win98 USB driver.

Attachments

• Filename
    hp8220.zip
    File size
    275.39 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI, just to try to troubleshoot this:

1. The drive works fine on Win10, correct? if so, then the drive has no problem.
2. Are you connecting the drive to a USB 2.0 port or a USB 1.1 port?
3. Which specs does your win98 machine has? which motherboard?
4. Are you sure the USB ports on the Win98 machine are correctly configured and have no problems?

Reply 3 of 9, by cabezonnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot. I've tried the file that you mention but everytime i plug the drive, windows starts installing the default driver and when i try to update from the folder hp8220, it sticks with the default driver.
If i need to update the win98 usb driver, where i can find it ?

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 1400mhz / MSI KT2 VIA VT8366A / 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM / Nvidia Geforce 3 / Soundblaster Live! / SB Audigy front panel / SONY SDM-S71 17" LCD / Win 98 SE

Reply 4 of 9, by cabezonnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aha2940 wrote on 2020-04-08, 02:45:
HI, just to try to troubleshoot this: […]
Show full quote

HI, just to try to troubleshoot this:

1. The drive works fine on Win10, correct? if so, then the drive has no problem.
2. Are you connecting the drive to a USB 2.0 port or a USB 1.1 port?
3. Which specs does your win98 machine has? which motherboard?
4. Are you sure the USB ports on the Win98 machine are correctly configured and have no problems?

1. Yes, works fine
2. USB 1.1
3. MSI KT2 VIA VT8366A
4. Yes, my other devices works fine.

Thanks a lot!

Reply 5 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok so in Device manager is there a device with a big "?" or a yellow flag ?
That is what you need to right click and update driver, point it to the folder you unzipped the file I sent and say yes to Update driver.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 9, by cabezonnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-04-08, 02:53:

Ok so in Device manager is there a device with a big "?" or a yellow flag ?
That is what you need to right click and update driver, point it to the folder you unzipped the file I sent and say yes to Update driver.

Nope, the device appears well connected and no yellow warning. The letter assigned to it is H:, when i click "eject" the tray opens so the connection is fine.
The only issue is that the unit don't read any disc. 🙁 it's very weird

Reply 7 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried reading a regular CDROM disk like the Windows 98 disk or an Audio CD ?
There is a USB driver update for Win98, will see if I can find it.

Reply 8 of 9, by cabezonnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-04-08, 02:41:

The only driver that may work (from HP) is attached but you may also need to update the Win98 USB driver.

Thanks a lot. Finally those are the drivers!!!!
After a couple of unsuccessful attempts, i tried a full format and reinstallation and now works like it used to be.
This old school drive was a gift from my parents and then i sold it to buy a dreamcast hahaha. A week ago i bought it again in a flea market and it was very fun tu burn a cd like in the 99.

Thanks for this awesome community!

Reply 9 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad you got it working !