VOGONS

First post, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have bought a vintage desktop PC case with an AT PSU, and when I power it on, I observe the PSU fan failing to spin. The 12 V output voltage is about 4 volts, the 5 V voltage is ~1.5 volts. So I was about to contact the seller and ask for partial refund, but then I had a thought: is it possible that it doesn't work properly because there is no load? I did not connect anything because naturally I don't want to kill any hardware with a suspicious PSU that I'm just turning on for the first time.

P. S. I opened the PSU, there are no visible problems - not a single bulged or deformed electrolytic capacitor, the main coil looks good, too.

Reply 1 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If there's no current flow, no regulation is possible. You may even damage it when running with nothing connected. You need to connect at least a hard disk or something that permanently draws current.

Reply 3 of 7, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gotcha, thanks a lot! Back to the bench then - with a sacrificial HDD (I fear the PSU may still be faulty).

I wonder: I have lots switching power supplies around me, from modern-ish ATX PSUs to 12 V car battery chargers, USB wall chargers, and bench-top adjustable power supplies. They all work just fine without any load at all, what makes the AT PSUs different?

Reply 4 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just depends on the PSU design. Unlike a wall-plug PSU (chargers etc.), an AT PSU was not designed to be turned on with nothing connected. What happens then depends on how the protection circuit is built.

Reply 5 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-04-08, 09:53:

If there's no current flow, no regulation is possible. You may even damage it when running with nothing connected. You need to connect at least a hard disk or something that permanently draws current.

There's always some parasitic load. A really shitty SMPS will hit a minimum duty cycle threshold as load decreases where output voltage will start climbing until your retro gear is converted into a smoking ruin. A shitty SMPS will protectively shut down as voltage climbs but helpfully reset and smack your rig in the face again. A not so shitty SMPS will shut down and stay down until it's power cycled or wait more than one cycle before pulsing though limitations of the feedback loop result in some low frequency noise. A good SMPS features a wide range of duty cycles and wide stability bandwidth eliminating no load instability.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 7, by VioletGiraffe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the advice and the explanation! I was wary of risking the whole motherboard, but it never occurred to me to connect an HDD.
Indeed, with one HDD the PSU starts up fine and the HDD spins. The voltages are 5.00 V and 10.75 V. After connecting a second HDD the 12 V line goes up to 11.3 V. I suppose even the combined load of two HDDs is not quite enough to put the PSU into its intended operational range.