VOGONS

Abit AN78GS

Topic actions

First post, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I acquired an Abit AN78GS board and I put an Athlon X2 4200, some RAM, a Geforce 7600GT and a SATA CDROM to test it. I tried to start the system, CPUI cooler starts spinning but I got no image on the monitor! Put another video card, another stick of RAM and another CPU but no luck! The system will not start no matter what combination of CPU, RAM, video card I put in. A serious problem is I can not find the manual for this particular board and therefore I can not proceed with some new approach. Clearing the BIOS and starting fresh did not help things!
Any ideas would be welcomed!

Reply 1 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why did you put a GeForce 7600GT in when the board has a GeForce 8200 integrated? Did you try connecting the monitor to that?

Did you try without RAM? (it should beep in this case - if not, CPU, BIOS, or mainboard is dead)

Did you try a different CPU?

Reply 2 of 5, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know for a fact that every CPU, module of RAM and video card I put in are good because I Tested them in other systems. Should I try with the integrated VGA? I was under the impression that internal VGA is automatically disabled when you put an external VGA.

Reply 3 of 5, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nd22 wrote on 2020-04-09, 07:44:

Recently I acquired an Abit AN78GS board

nd22 wrote on 2020-04-09, 08:35:

I know for a fact that every CPU, module of RAM and video card I put in are good because I Tested them in other systems. Should I try with the integrated VGA? I was under the impression that internal VGA is automatically disabled when you put an external VGA.

Try onboard graphics. Sometimes PCI/PCIe interface can stop working.
Did you acquire it as a good board or as one in unknown state?
Abit AN78GS is based on nForce 720a, so I would blame the chipset if everything else (I mean voltages, BIOS, onboard controllers) is OK on the mainboard.
P.S. Compatible CPUs are here:
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ABIT/AN78GS.html

Last edited by Roman555 on 2020-04-09, 10:25. Edited 2 times in total.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 4 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nd22 wrote on 2020-04-09, 08:35:

I know for a fact that every CPU, module of RAM and video card I put in are good because I Tested them in other systems.

That's not the point. They may still be incompatible with the Abit board.

Reply 5 of 5, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was the integrated VGA set in the BIOS to be the only video adapter enabled! As soon as I remove the geforce 7600GT it booted right up and passed MEMTEST86. Now what CPU would you recommend for this board? An Athlon 64 X2 or a Phenom? I know there are 89W , 95W and 125W variants of each and preferably I would take an 89W or an 95W variant to not stress the VRM too much! I already have an Athlon 64 X2 6000 ADA6000IAA6CZ; should the upgrade to Phenom X4 be noticeable or no?