VOGONS

First post, by perhenden

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd like to connect my old Amstrad PC1640 to the network, for easier file transfers.
An 8-bit Etherlink II would be my first choice, but they are rare and expensive.

Are there any modern options, like a serial or LPT adapter for Ethernet TP-cable/RJ45, that also works in DOS?
Would like to avoid coax/BNC, if possible.
Hoping to find an inexpensive option!

Reply 1 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would have said anything based on an RTL8019 , but even they have gone up in price .
They are 16-bit ISA cards but do work in 8-bit slots and have a lot of software support .
A lot of OEMs used them and relabeled them . With a bit of google-fu , you can lookup 16-bit ISA network cards available cheaply to you and see if they use an RTL8019 variant .
https://www.realtek.com/en/products/communica … /item/rtl8019as

Reply 2 of 6, by perhenden

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, a 16-bit ISA card that works in 8-bit slots sounds good.
The Intel EtherExpress ones are affordable on eBay.
In addition to RTL8019-based cards, I read that 3Com 3c509 (not B-revision) are 8-bit compatible.

A good list of compatible cards here
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/P ... ompatible  

Last edited by perhenden on 2020-04-18, 13:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 6, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
perhenden wrote on 2020-04-16, 17:47:

In addition to RTL8019-based cards, I read that 3Com 3c509 (not B-revision) are 8-bit compatible.

The 3C509B 16-bit ISA cards will also work fine on an 8086/8088, with the newer custom DOS driver for 8088 CPUs. Originally 3C509-based cards didn't work due to the driver requiring some 286-specific instructions.

The only caveat is that you have to configure the card first using the card's software utility, to manually set the IRQ to a free available IRQ on your Amstrad. You may have to do this on a newer PC though, as the 3C59XCFG utility may not run on your Amstrad.

I have a 3C509B in an IBM XT and run mTCP with it and it works great. I had to configure it on a newer system first though, as stated above.