VOGONS

First post, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Panssonic CF-62 Toughbook. P-133, XGA screen and a crazy PDROM burner under the keyboard, plus DOS ESS1688 FM.

Anyway, I can't get the PCMCIA to work. I've tried Windows 95A, Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows 98SE. I've loaded the RI_2_365.EXE as a device in config.sys. Both versions of Windows 95 see the cardbus controller but show exclamations. Windows 98SE, shows one as working, but has the other socket using the same resources and able to find no other free resources. The machine beeps in 98 when I insert or remove a card, but doesn't use it. This is a Cardbus Ricoh controller used as a straight PCMCIA controller; there's posts on Usenet suggesting all manner of driver hell.

I think I need either the original system restore cdrom for 95A or some supposed Windows 98 update once available from Panasonic on their Canadian site. Does anyone have either?

Reply 1 of 6, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Drivers for Dos/Windows 3.x/Win95 and OS/2 are available at ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers … books/CF62/aam/
62m1w5p1.exe is SystemSoft Cardworks for Windows 95, is this what is installed on your laptop or the generic Windows cardbus drivers?

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 2 of 6, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2020-04-20, 20:44:

Drivers for Dos/Windows 3.x/Win95 and OS/2 are available at ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers … books/CF62/aam/
62m1w5p1.exe is SystemSoft Cardworks for Windows 95, is this what is installed on your laptop or the generic Windows cardbus drivers?

I'm running the standard Windows PCMCIA drivers. Other posters on Usenet claimed to be doing the same. The Cardsoft drivers are really for DOS, and while they do have Windows apps associated are likely real mode and have limited device support. I tried them on 95 OSR2 and failed; I can try them on OSR1.

Reply 3 of 6, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try that specific version of Cardsoft for Windows 95?
Is 32bit pcmcia support active in Windows 9x?

Alternatively, you can find a trial version of Cardware for Win98 at http://tssc.de

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 4 of 6, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2020-04-20, 22:54:

Did you try that specific version of Cardsoft for Windows 95?
Is 32bit pcmcia support active in Windows 9x?

Alternatively, you can find a trial version of Cardware for Win98 at http://tssc.de

I've given up. I think the ports probably do work, and I just need either a factory restore CD or long lost drivers. I think there's something funny about them related to the use of a cardbus controller in Intel 365 compatibility mode. My mistake for buying a fussy and frankly esoteric Panasonic. No service manual, a dog to take apart, poor parts availability, nobody seems to own one or have recollections; I don't want to get any more involved in this machine.

For what it's worth, I did try the old Cardsoft services provided by Toshiba on Windows 95A, the version shipped by Toshiba. No go.

Reply 6 of 6, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2020-04-21, 18:31:

The drivers i put the link to is the one from the Panasonic ftp for your model, not sure why you you won't try it...

I did try that driver in Windows 95A, the factory-installed OS. Tried the alternate Phoenix one too. It's irrational, but I've decided I don't like that machine. No emotional connection. Plus it has a squinty XGA panel and a broken internal trackpad. So I'm not going to bother any more and instead put it up for sale.