VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-04-22, 02:44:

Hmm you could not network print from XP even though there are drivers for XP ? That does not sound good. Are you sure your router is not part of the issue ? Possibly blocking some ports.. Just a thought as I do see Xp32 and XP 64 drivers for your printer which should allow network printing if configured properly.

I think OP meant that he could not print from Windows 98 to the printer shared by XP . At least that's how I understood it .

Reply 21 of 32, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-04-22, 02:44:

Hmm you could not network print from XP even though there are drivers for XP ? That does not sound good. Are you sure your router is not part of the issue ? Possibly blocking some ports.. Just a thought as I do see Xp32 and XP 64 drivers for your printer which should allow network printing if configured properly.

That won't work. You have to have drivers for the printer you are using for the OS you are trying to print from if you are sharing or using a network printer.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22 of 32, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's possible to install the network printing suplment for windows 98
https://www.thewichitacomputerguy.com/blog/st … sing-windows-98
Then the driver you are going to use is a generic HP laser JET PCL6 driver.

It will print plain text black n white. Your printer should support PCL6

Btw I know this works with any network attached printer that is using Ethernet that supports HP PCL6
you printer does support pcl 6

Reply 23 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2020-04-22, 04:30:
It's possible to install the network printing suplment for windows 98 https://www.thewichitacomputerguy.com/blog/st … sing-wind […]
Show full quote

It's possible to install the network printing suplment for windows 98
https://www.thewichitacomputerguy.com/blog/st … sing-windows-98
Then the driver you are going to use is a generic HP laser JET PCL6 driver.

It will print plain text black n white. Your printer should support PCL6

Btw I know this works with any network attached printer that is using Ethernet that supports HP PCL6
you printer does support pcl 6

According to my understanding of the manual and other references, OP's printer does not support PCL 6 or any version of PCL or PostScript .

Reply 24 of 32, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh you are right i miss read theres another printer with almost the same name that does. Yeah sorry about that your printer is no good for windows 98. Find a printer that supports pcl 5 or 6 and you retry my advice.

Reply 25 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's another protocol/printer language to try.. Good old HPGL.

It was supported by various plotters and popular printers,
including HP LaserJet Plus and HP Deskjet 500. :)

Edit: Makes me wonder why no one mentioned it yet.
Did it already become a forgotten relic, just as DXF vector graphics format ?

I used to "print" into HPGL files, in order to let my PenMan plotter robot from the 80s become alive.
To do so, I saved my AutoSketch (DOS) drawings as HPGL files and used COPY command to send it over serial..

Boy, times seemingly have changed. Still miss that little robot. :(

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 32, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I miss read and thought OP could not print from XP to the Brother printer.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 27 of 32, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to go back to this, has anyone used CUPS-PDF to print from an old machine?

At this point I am tempted to get the version of my machine that does support PCL. I am so annoyed mine doesn't support it. I didn't know anything about PCL when I bought it, if I knew, I would have.

List of current-ish Brother printers that support PCL:
https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c … _001#other-faqs

Reply 28 of 32, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So here is an idea... Not sure if the software exists for it though. The ERP system we had where I used to work, saved files to a network folder and there was a service on the server that monitored that folder. Whenever something showed up in that folder, it printed to the printer.

If there is something like that, you could print to pdf to the network share and then the monitor service would print it and then delete the file.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 29 of 32, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-07-19, 21:29:

So here is an idea... Not sure if the software exists for it though. The ERP system we had where I used to work, saved files to a network folder and there was a service on the server that monitored that folder. Whenever something showed up in that folder, it printed to the printer.

This is kind of what I have been trying to do to no avail.
Is there a way to have a Raspberry Pi that would show up as a generic PCL printer on the network, and would save anything sent to it as a file, that then can be placed in a watch folder that my actual printer can access?

If there is something like that, you could print to pdf to the network share and then the monitor service would print it and then delete the file.

The problem is, there is NO software/drivers for Windows 9X that print to PDF, at least none I could find that would work.
If there was anything I could use that "prints" to PDF, this would be solved real quick. But afaik there isn't.

So I think the only solution would be what I described above: some sort of "generic laser printer emulator" running on the network that would work with standard Windows 9X drivers.

Reply 30 of 32, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kikendo wrote on 2023-03-20, 20:16:

The problem is, there is NO software/drivers for Windows 9X that print to PDF, at least none I could find that would work.
If there was anything I could use that "prints" to PDF, this would be solved real quick. But afaik there isn't.

So I think the only solution would be what I described above: some sort of "generic laser printer emulator" running on the network that would work with standard Windows 9X drivers.

What about PDFCreator 0.9.3 ? I use this on Windows 95. It's a virtual printer that spits out a PDF-file from any print-capable application.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 31 of 32, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not free but old copies of Adobe Acrobat installed a virtual pdf printer. (Version 5 been the most common version well into XP days)

Reply 32 of 32, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2023-03-21, 20:14:

What about PDFCreator 0.9.3 ? I use this on Windows 95. It's a virtual printer that spits out a PDF-file from any print-capable application.

I'll give that a try. It rings a bell, maybe I tried it. Will let you know, thanks!

chinny22 wrote on 2023-03-22, 11:30:

Not free but old copies of Adobe Acrobat installed a virtual pdf printer. (Version 5 been the most common version well into XP days)

I didn't know!
Everything is free nowadays , me matey, shiver me timbers!