VOGONS

First post, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay. I have two Packard Bell Statesman 486 laptops, both made in 1995. Both have messed up power boards with caps that are leaking electrolyte on their PCBs. One completely died in use, and reeks of dead fish when given power and just makes the laptop power indicator blink, the other smells less and runs the notebook, but audibly buzzes and is caked in electrolyte. Swapping the "working" board brings the other machine up, vice versa -- the "working" one runs either machine, neither machine runs with the dead power board.

This is my first attempt recapping anything. My issue is I don't know what caps to buy. Only one lists the series. The others are marked: ce04w mr(e) 105c n366 with italic N 16v 330uf, n333 100uf 6.3v and h346 100uf 50v in a yellow band can. The 16v cap doesn't have a brand. The rest are Nichicon. Can't find datasheets with what I see printed on them. Am I going about reading them wrong?

Should I just stick standard 105c low esr caps everywhere? I've read using low ESR caps in some circuits can mess things up.

Attachments