VOGONS

First post, by lukemccreanor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm looking for a little help. I recently upgraded the CPU in my super socket 7 rig from a K6-2 300 to a K6-2+ 450 with the intention of making a 4 in 1 retro gaming PC like off philscomputerlab. I checked i'm running the latest bios and by all accounts the CPU is supported by the DFI P5BV3+ Rev:B3 board, I have adjusted the dips switches to match the new CPU and the it is recognised by the board but it wont boot into Win98 it keeps crashing at the loading screen. Sometimes it reboots and trys again and sometimes it reboots and leaves me with a blank screen. It seems to post OK and i can navigate arround the BIOS settings with out any issues but i cant get Win98 to boot. I havent attempted to re install Win98 as i have it running pretty sweet but before i do does anyone have any recommendations to try first?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you disable on-board cache from BIOS? Given that the K6-2+ has on-die L2 cache, the motherboard's cache gets to be L3 cache - might confuse Win98?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2 of 6, by lukemccreanor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If i disable the onboard cache it boots and seems to work ok. How do i go about getting it working with the motherboard cache enabled, does it require a reinstall of Windows? What's the impact of the running with the motherboard cache disabled.

Reply 3 of 6, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the same SS7 board, among others. P5BB0103.BIN should be the latest BIOS.
I'm currently running a K6-2+ 550 MHz on it (overclocked to 600 MHz) and I don't have any issues. The system is very stable with or without active MB cache. Now, for what it's worth, motherboard cache is not really needed for the K6-2/3+ CPUs, since they all have full speed L2 on-die cache (so the improvement with the MB cache activated is marginal).
Anyway, what I would try:
1. make sure you are indeed running the latest BIOS
2. check that, in fact, the DIP switches are correctly set (FSB 100 MHz, multiplier, vcore voltage). Also make sure that RAM is set to run at FSB speed, not AGP speed.
3. do a CMOS reset
4. remove any peripherals while doing tests (I had some strange issues with this board/CPU together with a USB 2.0 PCI card)
5. If you have other memory modules, see if the behavior is any different with them (FYI, I'm running one 128 MB PC133 memory module, I feel that going for 256 or more is completely overkill for SS7).

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 4 of 6, by lukemccreanor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info but still no joy yet, i get Windows protection errors now on boot.

1.) Checked the BIOS, i was running a different version. It had a later date but i've flashed to the version you mentioned but it's made no difference.
2.) I've checked the dip switches for a K6-2+ 450mhz with 2.0v i have it set to 0001110000. Changed RAM to run at FSB speed, it was set to run at AGP speed.
3.) I've Reset CMOS.
4.) I've removed everything but the AGP card for now just to do some testing, still the same.
5.) I had 3 x Memory modules installed 2 x 32Mb and 1 x 64Mb. I've removed two so that i just have the single stick of 64Mb.

I've also tried to install a clean Win98 on a spare HDD to see if that makes any difference but it doesnt, the machine works fine booting from floppy, partitioning and formating drive then going through the install process until it get to the detecting devices stage then freezes.

Reply 5 of 6, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the issues during the "detecting devices" stage are a clear sign of instability (either caused by memory, overclocking, etc). Back in the day, this was the first stability test that I would try: installing Win 98 from scratch.
Are the board's capacitors in good shape? I know you said that before changing the CPU it was working fine, however it's hard to say what the behavior might be with a different CPU. According to this, the typical power consumption for the K6-2+ 450MHz is a bit higher than that of the K6-2 300 MHz, so if your board has some issues (leaking/bulging capacitors near the VRM?), this might just be the final push over the edge.

Of course, there's also the possibility that you have a bad CPU (either damaged in some weird way, or requiring more voltage in order to run properly at its nominal frequency - something that was a bit too common for the old K6-2 CPUs, but not that common for the K6-2+ CPUs). So I would also try giving the CPU 2.1V or even 2.2V, just to test - don't worry, if you keep it cool, it can handle it without a problem.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 6 of 6, by lukemccreanor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had a quick look at the capacitors but they look fine, I've just switched to a new corsair power supply to see if was the power supply but its exactly the same. I've also upped it to 2.1v but it still wont boot with the motherboard cache enabled, i had a quick look on ebay at getting another super socket 7 motherboard but wow the prices have shot up. A decent one costs more than a brand new motherboard! I might look to re cap it anyway i have a de soldering station and i'm not to bad with the soldering iron so figure it wont hurt, just need to get the right capacitors. Thanks for you help and suggestions.