VOGONS

Problems with QDI v4p895p3/smt V5.0

Topic actions

First post, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I bought this beauty and i'm unable to get it to post, I've tried both AMD and Intel 100MHz processor and various memory configurations. I'm almost loosing hope that it would work and this is my last chance to get some good advices 😀
I'm thinking that may it still be some memory (DRAM configuration problem), the jumper should be set right (not that many options) however i'm curious to know what is the difference between Single bank and Double bank memory and what does "note: the location of banks 1&2 are unidentified" mean?
The accurate model of the board printed on the PCB is: v4p895p3/smt V5.0

I have used these manuals to configure it: http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/qdi/895p3s5.pdf and https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/P-R/33782.htm

All good advice are welcome! Thanks already in advance 😀

v4p895p3.jpg
Filename
v4p895p3.jpg
File size
308.31 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 99, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Start with replacing the CMOS battery by a brand new one from the blister. If the voltage in-circuit is low the board will not boot.

All the other components that you are using are known good?

Does it beep if you leave the video card out? Does it beep if you leave the memory out? Does it beeps if you leave the CPU out?

Have you tried using only one SIMM? This board does not need them in pairs per the memory table.

Reply 2 of 99, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your prompt advice! 😀 I tried to replace the CMOS battery and also attached a speaker.
The board doesn't beep in any situations, also trying one SIMM doesn't make a difference.

Any other good advice? 😀

Reply 4 of 99, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Parni wrote on 2020-04-28, 19:18:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

I bought this beauty and i'm unable to get it to post, I've tried both AMD and Intel 100MHz processor and various memory configurations. I'm almost loosing hope that it would work and this is my last chance to get some good advices 😀
I'm thinking that may it still be some memory (DRAM configuration problem), the jumper should be set right (not that many options) however i'm curious to know what is the difference between Single bank and Double bank memory and what does "note: the location of banks 1&2 are unidentified" mean?

I have used these manuals to configure it: http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/qdi/895p3s5.pdf and https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/P-R/33782.htm

v4p895p3.jpg

Did you connect a speaker?
Any beeps?

Reply 5 of 99, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-04-29, 18:05:

Umm I didn't notice before but are you sure the bios chip is socketed properly? Looks a bit odd, those open spaces.

I found pictures of the same motherboards online and indeed the bios should look like that, the socket is wider than the actual module.

Reply 6 of 99, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-29, 18:09:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

v4p895p3.jpg

Any beeps?

Yes I did connect a speaker, no beeps 😒

Reply 7 of 99, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Parni wrote on 2020-04-29, 18:29:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

v4p895p3.jpg

Any beeps?

Does the CPU get warm? To test don't connect the fan of the cpu ....

Reply 8 of 99, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-29, 18:34:

Any beeps?

Hi, good point actually! I tested it and the CPU doesn't get warm.

Reply 9 of 99, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have also tried various display cards, memory configurations, new bios battery, new bios module, removed the cache memorys and tried a smaller (128k) cache setup but NOTHING HELPS 😒 should i start to measure some components next? I don't want to let go of this mobo 😁

Reply 10 of 99, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Parni wrote on 2020-04-29, 18:54:

Maybe the 3volt circuit on the board does not work.
Do you have any 5volt 486 cpu to test? The best test cpu is a DX33, it does not need a heatsink, but it gets to 60°C or even more 😁

Reply 11 of 99, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-29, 19:05:

Do you have any 5volt 486 cpu to test? The best test cpu is a DX33, it does not need a heatsink, but it gets to 60°C or even more 😁

Good idea, I will try the 5V CPU tomorrow. I'll keep you posted

Reply 12 of 99, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Parni wrote on 2020-04-29, 19:07:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-29, 19:05:

Good idea, I will try the 5V CPU tomorrow. I'll keep you posted

I had to test it before I go to sleep, a DX2 5V CPU doesn't work 😒 and doesn't get hot 😒

Reply 13 of 99, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, that's bad.
I guess you have a multi-meter to measure the voltages from the power supply.
When the board is powered up, do you still have the 5 volts (and also the 12 volts) on a non connected harddisk power connector?
Just a very simple check about massive shorts on the mainboard.
Next thing is maybe checking if the cpu is held in the reset state, then it starts to get complicated.

EDIT:
I checked what you wrote, you did not say something about the power supply?
So it is a known good one, right?
Is it an AT type?
A very stupid question, I know, but did you always connect the 2 power connectors to the board (P8 and P9) correctly? Black wires in the middle?
If not, then you fried the board already 😁

Reply 14 of 99, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-29, 19:35:
OK, that's bad. I guess you have a multi-meter to measure the voltages from the power supply. When the board is powered up, do y […]
Show full quote

OK, that's bad.
When the board is powered up, do you still have the 5 volts (and also the 12 volts) on a non connected harddisk power connector?
Next thing is maybe checking if the cpu is held in the reset state, then it starts to get complicated.

EDIT:
Is it an AT type?
A very stupid question, I know, but did you always connect the 2 power connectors to the board (P8 and P9) correctly? Black wires in the middle?

Hi, I made the measurements and I'm getting 5 and 12V to the HDD powerlines 😀 about the power supply it works with other motherboards and is type: AT and I have always connected the 2 power connector correctly (I'm not that Newbie 😁)
How can I check the reset state possibility you mentioned?

Reply 15 of 99, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Parni wrote on 2020-04-30, 13:24:
OK, that's bad. I guess you have a multi-meter to measure the voltages from the power supply. When the board is powered up, do y […]
Show full quote

OK, that's bad.

EDIT:
Is it an AT type?

Hi, I made the measurements and I'm getting 5 and 12V to the HDD powerlines 😀 about the power supply it works with other motherboards and is type: AT and I have always connected the 2 power connector correctly (I'm not that Newbie 😁)

I am sorry, don't know how to proceed.
Hopefully some hardware experts jump in now.

Did you buy this board as defective?

Reply 16 of 99, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-04-30, 20:24:
I am sorry, don't know how to proceed. Hopefully some hardware experts jump in now. […]
Show full quote
Parni wrote on 2020-04-30, 13:24:
Show full quote

OK, that's bad.

EDIT:
Is it an AT type?

I am sorry, don't know how to proceed.
Hopefully some hardware experts jump in now.

Did you buy this board as defective?

Hi, OK I understand. Strange things happened, I washed the board with Isopropanol and now the CPU get just a bit warm, however not as hot it should get.

Reply 18 of 99, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im wondering one thing about the manual, it's quite specific of the memory configuration regarding "Single bank" and "Dual-bank" memorys, how do I tell which one my memorys are?
The manual can be found from here: http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/qdi/895p3s5.pdf

Reply 19 of 99, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Parni wrote on 2020-05-01, 10:09:

Im wondering one thing about the manual, it's quite specific of the memory configuration regarding "Single bank" and "Dual-bank" memorys, how do I tell which one my memorys are?
The manual can be found from here: http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/qdi/895p3s5.pdf

Unfortunately that does not matter too much in your case.
For your tests, just use one single 72-pin module, maybe the smallest you have, so a 4 MB 72 pin stick (?)
In order to startup the cpu in real mode, I think only the first 64kB are essential 😀