VOGONS

First post, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello i have a problem with ram stick and i would like to know more before i buy a new compatible one
i have a 512mb memory stick dual sided that is compatible with an intel 815 board via apollo pro 133 (only 256 usable) but not compatible with via apollo pro 133a.
to be presice the via apollo pro 133a motherboard is a qdi advance10f rev2 i also have an infineon 128 mb stick one side that is compatible with all of my test mobos
here some photos of the modules and their specifications on cpuz

Attachments

• uncopatiblemodule.jpg
    Filename
    uncopatiblemodule.jpg
    File size
    650.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • uncopatible.jpg
    Filename
    uncopatible.jpg
    File size
    1.75 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • compatiblemodule.jpg
    Filename
    compatiblemodule.jpg
    File size
    490.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • compatible.jpg
    Filename
    compatible.jpg
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 15, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
truemaster wrote on 2020-04-30, 09:39:

i have a 512mb memory stick dual sided that is compatible with an intel 815 board via apollo pro 133 (only 256 usable)

Which one is it? You can't have i815 and Apollo Pro 133 on the same board simultaneously.

Reply 2 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are some dark photos. Can you give us the text on the black chips on the modules?

One difference is the CAS Latency. The Infineon module is CL2, the other module is CL3. If your BIOS timings are set for CL2, a CL3 DIMM may not work. How do you have the timings set in BIOS on the 694X board?

Reply 3 of 15, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for reply. i use now the qdi advance 10f (the apollo pro133a) the latency cas has 2 values for both modules the difference i see is the infineon on jedec #1 is 100mhz 2.0-2-2-5 the no name one jedec #1 125mhz 2.0-3-3-6 their jedec #2 is the same 133 3.0 3-3-6 i can see the numbers on black ics on the no name for now is 48lc32m8a2
my bios ram settings are the default ones

Attachments

• bios settings.jpg
    Filename
    bios settings.jpg
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
truemaster wrote on 2020-04-30, 12:21:

thanks for reply. i use now the qdi advance 10f (the apollo pro133a) the latency cas has 2 values for both modules the difference i see is the infineon on jedec #1 is 100mhz 2.0-2-2-5 the no name one jedec #1 125mhz 2.0-3-3-6 their jedec #2 is the same 133 3.0 3-3-6 i can see the numbers on black ics on the no name for now is 48lc32m8a2

Sure that's complete? That sounds like a Micron MT48lc32m8a2xx-xx, Those last "xx" numbers are the most relevant here, that's the cycle time.

my bios ram settings are the default ones

Defaults are great if everything works fine, if not it's always worth double-checking as there can be bugs in defaults. In this case they look good - PC133 CL3 is 7.5ns, so 8/10ns with CAS 3 should be OK

So... why isn't it working. Good question. I'm trying to find a QDI memory QVL, but that's not so easy...

Edit: QDI doesn't seem to have published QVL lists :'(

Did find some BIOS files on archive.org - none specifically lists memory compatibility, but if you're not running version 4.6 it could be worth a try:
https://web.archive.org/web/20011202070430/ht … _advance10E.htm

Reply 5 of 15, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i had just a previous bios revision 4.5 i will update it to 4.6. worst case senario i will try to find the exact same module i have total 128 now, another 128 will be enough. but i will make some test to see if the 512 one is really no go first. but is still weird on a slot 1 qdi advance (apollo pro 133) the 512 works and the settings are the same.

Reply 7 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Weird... the Infineon DIMM is rated for CL2, but with 7.5ns it should only be able to do CL3... Still, Infineon is solid stuff and can frequently handle more than its official rating.

I'm afraid it looks like a compatibility issue between the motherboard and the DIMM. That's unusual as Via memory controllers tend to be slow, but very compatible. I'd say try and find a different DIMM - this board should support up to 1.5GB of PC133. With Win98Se going over 512MB is problematic though, so a single 512MB DIMM it does like would be optimal.

Reply 8 of 15, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for the advice. because its via i though that might be configuration issue. but you confirm my first though. i will buy an exact same brand with same timings as my infineon that will be ok for sure

Reply 9 of 15, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

a small update i have free time today so i mess with the bios configuration. at the line 5 in my photo dram clock if i change it from host clk to hclk-33 the 512 no name memory will work. what i dont know is if such selection has negative impact on performance. i(theories) f the only impact is the memory to work on asynchonous 100fsb its no big deal. but if the whole system is underclock then its no go for me

Reply 10 of 15, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
truemaster wrote on 2020-05-01, 15:19:

a small update i have free time today so i mess with the bios configuration. at the line 5 in my photo dram clock if i change it from host clk to hclk-33 the 512 no name memory will work. what i dont know is if such selection has negative impact on performance. i(theories) f the only impact is the memory to work on asynchonous 100fsb its no big deal. but if the whole system is underclock then its no go for me

If it doesn't mess with the FSB speed, you shouldn't see a big impact on performance. The memory will run at PC-100 specs.

What CPU are you using ?

Reply 11 of 15, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

pentium 3 800mhz eb 133fsb. i had instabilities crashes and when right clicking on desktop the comands messed up. so i revert the changes and put the 128mb infineon back. looks like i need to buy a new memory, and forget about this 512 module

Reply 12 of 15, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
truemaster wrote on 2020-05-02, 08:30:

pentium 3 800mhz eb 133fsb. i had instabilities crashes and when right clicking on desktop the comands messed up. so i revert the changes and put the 128mb infineon back. looks like i need to buy a new memory, and forget about this 512 module

Get a pair of 2 x 256MB PC-133, it should be good enough for that machine.