VOGONS

First post, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many years ago I had a motherboard that let me replace the splash-screen graphic displayed during POST - the board came with a utility on it's driver CD to let you import an image and write it into flash. The board was an ECS KV2-Extreme (socket 939). It's the only time I've ever seen this feature. . . has anyone seen other boards with similar abilities? Can this be done with other motherboards, maybe with 3rd party software to modify BIOS images? I kind of fancy making my custom retro machines boot up with a Gateway 2000 logo. . . .

Reply 1 of 5, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends on the type of BIOS. Look into the 'cbrom' tool. See https://eternallybored.org/logo/bios/
I've successfully replaced an Energy Star logo with a custom logo using this method way back and according to that page it also works for full-screen logos.

The computer I did it on was my parents' computer, which I later bricked while trying to unlock extra BIOS settings using an editor. My advice is to run tools like this from pure DOS.

Reply 2 of 5, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a MS-6167 mainboard for the Slot-A Athlon that also allows you to set a full screen splash screen during POST that I changed back in the day, I think with CBROM, I don’t remember.