VOGONS

First post, by TomvB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

Tested driver: PCIe devices on Windows 98 SE and it works. The 1280P + 32 bit option works fine.
The screen goes black for 1 second when I click open explorer a few times (for example). I don't seem to have any problems without the driver.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chRuIaEF2fY&feature=youtu.be

Has anyone seen this before?

Specs:
Pentium 4
P4VM900-SATA2
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache - Device ID: 0161
1GB DDR 400
Windows 98SE (reinstalled 3 times)

Reply 1 of 14, by TomvB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I think it is related to hardware acceleration in Windows. With None it's working fine. I dont know why.
It also works with Basic accelerator functions... 😕

I have no idea if this will ever work properly with PCI express. Ordered an FX-5500 PCI card, if it doesnt work.
I hope someone can help me with this problem.

Reply 2 of 14, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The main problem is the your card being PCie. Even the AGP version dont likes the win98. Another one is using cards with more than 256mb.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 3 of 14, by TomvB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MKT_Gundam wrote on 2020-05-02, 19:49:

The main problem is the your card being PCie. Another one is using cards with more than 256mb.

Yeah, true. It is 256MB, but PCIe. It should work according to the topic as mentioned. 🙁

Reply 4 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TomvB wrote on 2020-05-02, 20:05:

The main problem is the your card being PCie. Another one is using cards with more than 256mb.

Yeah, true. It is 256MB, but PCIe. It should work according to the topic as mentioned. 🙁

That it works does not necessarily mean it works well and for everybody . Geforce 6 Windows 9x drivers are flaky . With an AGP 6600 or a 6600GT , I can crash Windows 98 SE just by scrolling too much/fast with some drivers. With other drivers, the card becomes ultra slow (can almost see the screen redraw)after scrolling a bit . 3D accelerated stuff just works and does not crash Windows (still issues with some software depending on Nvidia drivers version, but that's another story).

EDIT : FX series cards (Geforce 5) and under work well in Windows 98 SE for pretty much everybody, AFAIK .

Reply 5 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just noticed you have a Via P4M900 chipset .Did you install the Via chipset drivers ?

https://d34vhvz8ul1ifj.cloudfront.net/Driver/ … onPro_V524A.zip

Or

http://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp

Reply 6 of 14, by TomvB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-02, 21:29:
I just noticed you have a Via P4M900 chipset .Did you install the Via chipset drivers ? […]
Show full quote

I just noticed you have a Via P4M900 chipset .Did you install the Via chipset drivers ?

https://d34vhvz8ul1ifj.cloudfront.net/Driver/ … onPro_V524A.zip

Or

http://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp

Yep, I did without positive results.

darry wrote on 2020-05-02, 21:13:
TomvB wrote on 2020-05-02, 20:05:

That it works does not necessarily mean it works well and for everybody . Geforce 6 Windows 9x drivers are flaky . With an AGP 6600 or a 6600GT , I can crash Windows 98 SE just by scrolling too much/fast with some drivers. With other drivers, the card becomes ultra slow (can almost see the screen redraw)after scrolling a bit . 3D accelerated stuff just works and does not crash Windows (still issues with some software depending on Nvidia drivers version, but that's another story).

EDIT : FX series cards (Geforce 5) and under work well in Windows 98 SE for pretty much everybody, AFAIK .

I ordered a new 478 865GVKL motherboard with AGP from ITZR. I have an AGP FX5500 here that works fine. This is a lot faster than the FX 5500 PCI card. I also have problems with Realtek HD Audio sound. This Asrock motherboard does not have AC97 audio. I will use the Asrock-sata2 machine for Windows 2000 and XP and I will build a new one with ITZR mobo for Windows 98SE.

Reply 7 of 14, by b0700

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using P5b-VM se Asus board with G965 chipset and drivers from msfn for ich8 on windows 98. I have GT6600 and also tested 6800 vanilla PCIe nvidia cards on it. infact i have 4 of these all pci. I used the 81.98 driver from nvidia and replaced the ini from a thread on this site into the extracted driver location on c: . This installed the driver without a hitch and i got some decent scores on 3dmarks. all 3d works and there is no video issue whatsoever. I am using core2 duo processor E5800 and also tested E8400 as i have 2 identical motherboards (1 for backup in case 1 fries in future.) do not use guru3d drivers they dont get full screen 3d acceleration

pci express works perfectly fine in windows 98 i dont know why one would face a problem. unless you are using very new boards. if i can help i will with any more info, please ask.

Reply 8 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
b0700 wrote on 2020-06-14, 10:53:

I am using P5b-VM se Asus board with G965 chipset and drivers from msfn for ich8 on windows 98. I have GT6600 and also tested 6800 vanilla PCIe nvidia cards on it. infact i have 4 of these all pci. I used the 81.98 driver from nvidia and replaced the ini from a thread on this site into the extracted driver location on c: . This installed the driver without a hitch and i got some decent scores on 3dmarks. all 3d works and there is no video issue whatsoever. I am using core2 duo processor E5800 and also tested E8400 as i have 2 identical motherboards (1 for backup in case 1 fries in future.) do not use guru3d drivers they dont get full screen 3d acceleration

pci express works perfectly fine in windows 98 i dont know why one would face a problem. unless you are using very new boards. if i can help i will with any more info, please ask.

Great that it works for you with the G965 chipset (though have you tried rapid scrolling in, for example, a browser window ?) .

Owners of at least some Via P4M900 based boards are, apparently, not as lucky .

Reply 9 of 14, by techraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am currently running win98se on a asrock 4c0redual-sata2 mobo with bios 2.2 , 1gig ddr ram, I have a pcie 6800 256ddr, running now.. at first it would not work, then i downloaded driver 9x_81.98 and so far so good, running two screens.. will see what happens on games as soon as i get a chance. I up the ram and cpu .. some of the screen savers do not like the extend screen setting.. I will try and get back with some more updates as i mess around with it..

Reply 10 of 14, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried for a while to make a 6200 work on windows ME and 98SE but Direct 3d kept crashing and I got artifacts in 2D I managed to get some 3d working by force installing 71? Don’t remember it was a low 7x.xx version

I have a radeon 7000 working pretty good and a 7500 on the way I expect will also work.

In your case you may want to give a radeon x000 series a try?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 11 of 14, by techraider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

update, I was able to run unreal gold perfectly, I also ran revenant without any problems ( had to set to control speed ).. I tried viper racing and it would run the demo but the game would not work and sound was terrible (suspect my sound card drivers were the problem maybe ) , I tried caeser III and it crashed, I had selected the register on line button and it locked it up., rebooted and kept getting a rnaapp not responding and then a explorer this program has performed an illegal operation, repaired reg and still getting the same errors, could not even boot up in safe mode.. 🤣 .. ugh... I usually clone my drive before messing around but I did not have a spare this morning.. guess i will have start from scratch again. as for the windows 98 plus screen savers ,, some would work, some would only work in software mode and some would only run with no color at all.

I do have an ati aiw 9800 pro but it is in another machine, I also have an ati 9600 .. both are agp and run perfect..

Just messing around with pcie and the only card i have for that is the 6800 256 i am messing with now.. the prices of know high performance cards that work are so high... but i understand ..

Reply 12 of 14, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
b0700 wrote on 2020-06-14, 10:53:

hello, i believe i have the answer to why he is having issues with his geforce 6200.

i highly recommend to avoid all turbocache models of the geforce 6 series in particularly with the NV44 and higher gpus with turbocache. (even my geforce 7200gs with the g72 gpu with turbocache has the same problems that i will mention)

i've tested various northbridge pcie chipsets like VIA p4m890 p4m900 intel 915 945 g31 p35 g41 and SiS 661 662 672, and the turbocache cards all behave the same in windows 95 & 98
with the screen freezing and or blanking out for a couple seconds whenever something GUI related is occurring on screen. Even worse that on all VIA chipsets; theses graphics cards are highly unstable and will randomly freeze or cause a protection error while already on the desktop.

funnily enough these cards work okayish when 3d & GUI acceleration is disabled in windows but thats defeating the purpose of using these cards.

when running any 3d apps whether Direct3D or OpenGL they all seem to freeze the pc after just a few seconds ...well I've only tested 10 games in which only three were direct3d ...so kinda take my word for with grain of salt i guess.

i believe that b0700 is having better success because they're probably using an NV43 pcie geforce without turbocache as i also too tested my quadro fx which has the same gfx chipset and the gpu works fine in windows 98 albeit with the same known limitations with all geforce 6 series in win98. (yes including the PCI geforce 6200 has the same limitations e.g early direct3d game issues and missing early gfx features support)

So in short, i suggest you all probably stick with the geforce fx or early series because of all the issues that are plagued with on windows 98 driver side which are not even worth it. even the early geforce 6 series like the NV40 agp geforce 6800 which was NVidia's last to officially support with their early and late win9x drivers; has a ton of issues with alot of games and being somewhat unstable.

But if you absolutely need an NVidia PCIe gpu for win9x, i would go for the non turbocache models of the 6000 & 7000 series geforce because they seem to work fine without issues unlike the turbocache ones.

I would personally recommend something like the radeon x550 x600 series or heck the x800 pcie & agp gpus as these have no compatibility issues whatsoever and can work with early direct 3d games minus some features missing like 8bit paletted textures & table fog. (then again... geforce's after the fx series don't have these features either as i mentioned above)

Last edited by Stainlesscat on 2021-06-29, 03:04. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 14, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

also if you are gonna use an geforce 6 or 7 series gpu in win98; make sure that you use rloew's nvsize patch, as this patch carries the shutdown bug and vram fix to the drivers to at least make the graphics cards more functional under win9x.

this will not fix anything related to the turbocache cards sadly though.

#edit

here's a video from my friend's youtube channel show casing the 6200 PCIe in Windows 98 Second Edition.

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrVE67LQgUU

Reply 14 of 14, by p166s

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stainlesscat wrote on 2021-06-29, 02:44:

hello, i believe i have the answer to why he is having issues with his geforce 6200.

i highly recommend to avoid all turbocache models of the geforce 6 series in particularly with the NV44 and higher gpus with turbocache. (even my geforce 7200gs with the g72 gpu with turbocache has the same problems that i will mention)

when running any 3d apps whether Direct3D or OpenGL they all seem to freeze the pc after just a few seconds ...well I've only tested 10 games in which only three were direct3d ...so kinda take my word for with grain of salt i guess.

I believe I've found a partial mitigation for the issues with TurboCache models. There's an old undocumented registry tweak named "RmDisableRenderToSysmem" for Windows XP that was exposed via RivaTuner that disabled TurboCache.
When I add this option to the registry and then reboot, I can get OpenGL games (like Half-Life) to load and play properly on my GeForce 7200 GS (Gigabyte GV-NX72G512P1).

Edit: So I should've probably mentioned my setup.

Intel P35 Chipset (ABit IP35)
Core 2 Quad Q6600
2 GB DDR2-800
GeForce 7200 GS (Gigabyte GV-NX72G512P1)
Creative Audigy 2 ZS

The issue I was having with Half-Life in OpenGL mode was that it would have a framerate of less than 1 frame every 10 seconds, so I would have to wait a while after typing the quit console command before it would even actually quit the game. In Direct3D, it had no noticeable problems.
I did have to disable hardware acceleration on the GPU in order to install Half-Life, as the setup program's overuse of 2D GDI graphics caused the card to blackscreen in the middle of installation. So this tweak does not appear to alleviate any 2D graphics issues, it only affects stability for 3D games.

Here is the reg file I made:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\System]
"RmDisableRenderToSysmem"=hex:01,00,00,00

Attachments