Volo wrote on 2021-08-31, 21:38:
Dear Sirs, good news! […]
Show full quote

Dear Sirs, good news!

Spent a bit of time chilling at the country, crimping and flashing:
LjwHcUA.png

And made myself 16 devices. Packed and ready to ship:
AdSTlbX.png

Mail me. I accept US ABA transfers, EU SEPA, UK local payments, Wise and banking cards (though I couldn't check if banking cards worked)

The bad news: each 6th device seems to be faulty (three so far). I hope it is a matter of reflowing solder, but be aware that some of the later batches might be slightly singed due to manual soldering.

Woo! I'll look into which payment method suits me.

Reply 202 of 293, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got my order in, and I just want to give an early thanks to Volo for being very thorough and patient with the process. With numeous payment options on offer, this obviously makes for a bit of effort attending to each order depending on the region it's coming from!

For the information of Aussies, you can order via direct transfer to a local account. Neat.

Reply 204 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry guys, been away from VOGONS for the weekend. I could only communicate via email.

The central post office sends parcels normally. On the other hand my local post office got weird on me - they say they can’t stick postage stamps on a box and try to double the price of dispatch for a stamp-less delivery.
I’ll send the dispatches form the central office from now on. Our central post office is located at the world famous revolutionary Maidan Nezalezhnosti, which is MËTAL!

arthur071169, Pardon for the delay. I've just PMed you.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-09-07, 04:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Want to play MS-DOS keyboard-only games with a gamepad? Feel free to purchase Volo's Pad-to-PS/2 by writing me an e-mail:
3hUGsDI.png

Reply 205 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPD. Central post office works. Glueing stamps to a box doesn't look so difficult...
Must be a hidden art known only by pretty girls in the central office.

Want to play MS-DOS keyboard-only games with a gamepad? Feel free to purchase Volo's Pad-to-PS/2 by writing me an e-mail:
3hUGsDI.png

Reply 207 of 293, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Volo wrote on 2021-08-31, 21:38:

Mail me. I accept US ABA transfers, EU SEPA, UK local payments, Wise and banking cards (though I couldn't check if banking cards worked)

Not to get repetitive, since I mentioned it in this thread before, but Volo, your country has just adopted crypto-friendly legislation:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/ukraine-passes … regulate-crypto

So wouldn't it be the cheapest option in terms of fees if you just shared a QR code so buyers could pay you in Bitcoin, or some other easily tradable cryptocurrency?

I'll buy one if you let me pay that way. You can even charge me a bit more to cover any volatility risk. I'd rather pay you more, than pay more in fees. And crypto is way faster than SEPA, even on-chain. 🙂

Reply 208 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MK2k wrote on 2021-09-09, 11:14:

My packet arrived, thank you very much Volo! This was/is a nice project to follow for over a year.

Dear MK2k,
Does it work in the wild? I am still drawing up the instruction manual. I hope I shall post it soon.

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 209 of 293, by MK2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Volo, I would like to wait for the manual before I hook the device up 😉

For example there is a micro-USB port and a custom cable (PS/2 to smallish RJ45-style connector) which I don't know the function of yet.

Metropolis Launcher - DOSBox and Multi Emulator Launcher/Frontend | thread website

Reply 210 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ha-ha! You REALLY overthink it 😀 It is designed to be very simple and intuitive.

Detachable PS/2 wire is indeed just a detachable PS/2 wire.
MicroUSB port is device side of USB connection – compatible with any MicroUSB wire you may be having around. Just don’t connect the device to two computers at once 😊

The manual is for more advance uses: laptops with no external keyboard, reassigning default layout and stuff…
Don’t be afraid to plug it in as is – it well-fused and almost impossible to plug it in wrong.

Come on, I’m curious!

MK2k wrote on 2021-09-09, 13:25:

Hi Volo, I would like to wait for the manual before I hook the device up 😉

For example there is a micro-USB port and a custom cable (PS/2 to smallish RJ45-style connector) which I don't know the function of yet.

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 211 of 293, by MK2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Volo wrote on 2021-09-09, 14:22:

It is designed to be very simple and intuitive.

You're right and yes, it is simple 😁

I just had a nice round of DOOM on a Compaq LTE Laptop using a Retrobit 6-Button Genesis pad (all buttons are mapped). Great work, Volo!

Metropolis Launcher - DOSBox and Multi Emulator Launcher/Frontend | thread website

Reply 213 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: I’m off to vacation till September 19th.
During this time I’ll not be able to send parcels. I’ll still be able to reserve consignments, offer support and, well, being a swell guy, but please, let us postpone any payments till Friday, September the 17th, as I feel uncomfortable holding to money, while being unable to deliver.

As of now, I’ve sent 6 devices. I have not outstanding consignments as of this moment.
Pretty good for having ABSOLUTELY NO promotion. You guys are swell!

Also. When arranging payments – I am quite flexible. If you find a payment method convenient for your location – I’m all in! The problem is that Ukraine is not being serviced by many payment providers.

Things to do during vacation:

• Make a graphical representation of device use (i.e. kinda manual):
  • Assemble another dozen of devices.

The seashore awaits me!

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 215 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello! During last week, I've unraveled my mad MS Word skillz and came up with the instruction manual:
gCbtRFK.jpg
iKf1aLx.jpg
Please let me know if the manual is comprehensible, or makes the simple device even more confusing.
Writing a manual is surprisingly hard.

P.S. PDF version attached.

UPD. Fixed typos!
UPD2. Fixed manual wording

Attachments

Last edited by Volo on 2021-09-16, 16:27. Edited 3 times in total.

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 216 of 293, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to guess at what is meant by the " no keyboard , laptop+gamepad (keyboard emulated) " laptop icon.
s / trough / through

besides that... Great ! 😍

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 217 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-16, 08:19:

s / trough / through

OOPS, typos! Corrected and updated. Thanks!

weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-16, 08:19:

I have to guess at what is meant by the " no keyboard , laptop+gamepad (keyboard emulated) " laptop icon.

What I tried to convey is that:

1. When there is a physical keyboard connected to my adaptor - the device just act as a pass-through for all communication.
  2. When my adapter detects no real PS/2 keyboard connected - it responds to PC handshakes itself, effectively acting as a PS/2 Type 2 keyboard, negating any "keyboard not detected" bootup errors.

Is there any way to describe the above as a short phrase?

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 218 of 293, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Volo wrote on 2021-09-16, 08:42:

OOPS, typos! Corrected and updated. Thanks!

😁

Volo wrote on 2021-09-16, 08:42:
What I tried to convey is that: […]
Show full quote

What I tried to convey is that:

1. When there is a physical keyboard connected to my adaptor - the device just act as a pass-through for all communication.
  2. When my adapter detects no real PS/2 keyboard connected - it responds to PC handshakes itself, effectively acting as a PS/2 Type 2 keyboard, negating any "keyboard not detected" bootup errors.

Is there any way to describe the above shortly?

I guess I lack the experience. Don't most laptops allow the simultaneous use of both laptop keyboard & external ?
Though I kinda get the gist of what you mean. You don't need an external keyboard to use the gamepad adapter on a laptop.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 219 of 293, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great work 😀

On the laptop thing, perhaps the user doesn't even need to know about the magic. As long as they know they can just plug it into a laptop.

When my device arrives I'll go through all the items in the manual, and will help you out if I think anything needs to be clarified.