VOGONS

First post, by HeavyD8086

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys!

Just got this guy in today. What do you think the chances are? I was super pumped about a 486 with PCI, since I don't have any VLB cards. It was going to get a DX33.

Not sure how many layers this board has. Wish me luck. You'll have an update in 3 hours or so.

Attachments

Last edited by HeavyD8086 on 2020-05-15, 03:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seeing that has me fairly optimistic about its chances. But perhaps that's because an untested ABIT PR-5 Socket 7 board I got recently had the pins smashed on one of the QFP Intel chipset ICs... now that one was just doomed, so perhaps that's messing with my perception 😜

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 2 of 6, by HeavyD8086

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Daniël Oosterhuis wrote on 2020-05-13, 22:09:

Seeing that has me fairly optimistic about its chances. But perhaps that's because an untested ABIT PR-5 Socket 7 board I got recently had the pins smashed on one of the QFP Intel chipset ICs... now that one was just doomed, so perhaps that's messing with my perception 😜

Plugging in now on test bench. Hope to let you know shortly. I'm still asking to return, though. If something is almost disconnected, I paid a pretty hefty price for this. It's my great, white whale. Nobody sells 486/PCI in Canada.

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My bet is that there is nothing but the ground plane in that corner. If it POSTs, you may need to run bodge wires from C1 and C3 to ground as it kinda looks like they won't actually be connected to ground with that corner messed up.

If it works and you really want, you can probably repair that corner with some epoxy.

That is a cool / strange AT to PS/2 adapter board for the keyboard there.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 6, by HeavyD8086

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-05-13, 23:04:

My bet is that there is nothing but the ground plane in that corner. If it POSTs, you may need to run bodge wires from C1 and C3 to ground as it kinda looks like they won't actually be connected to ground with that corner messed up.

If it works and you really want, you can probably repair that corner with some epoxy.

That is a cool / strange AT to PS/2 adapter board for the keyboard there.

Agreed. I'd rather they put in a port for the PS2.

Reply 6 of 6, by HeavyD8086

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, update time: Got the mouse working by adding an ISA serial/FDD/Parallel/HDD controller to the ISA slot. Oh, man, did that create problems. Firstly, mouse started working! Thinking everything was good, I assembled into an ATX case. No dice, that case didn't have a FDD slot. OK, pack up new, previously-unopened case and put downstairs in the heap.
Next, disassemble 1.4Ghz Tualatin and 8500 combo and install! No dice, case not wide enough to take AT mobo.
Last! Use last of three AT cases! Fits! Gotek with FF doesn't work. Can't figure it out. Couple hours spent working with FF.cfg and cables. Problem was:
ISA serial card had a FDD controller. Plugged Gotek into that, disabled integrated MOBO controller and works!
Currently FTPing via PCI network card over my games.
I think it's working.