VOGONS

First post, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all. I got an older 486 computer and wanted to install dos on it as the main OS. I started with trying DOS 6 and now DOS 5 but either version gets stuck during installation. Right at the beginning of it actually. It just sits there not doing anything, or might say that it's searing for io.sys. Either way the progress bar doesn't move. Any advice to try to get this installed? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 14, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thenix wrote on 2020-05-17, 16:12:

Hey all. I got an older 486 computer and wanted to install dos on it as the main OS. I started with trying DOS 6 and now DOS 5 but either version gets stuck during installation. Right at the beginning of it actually. It just sits there not doing anything, or might say that it's searing for io.sys. Either way the progress bar doesn't move. Any advice to try to get this installed? Thanks.

I also had this error, turned out to be a faulty floppy disk, made a new one and worked like a charm 😀

Reply 2 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this forum is for old Windows games on *modern* systems. You should ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 14, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote on 2020-05-17, 18:49:

Note that this forum is for old Windows games on *modern* systems. You should ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

Sorry I'll understand the appropriate sections more when I use the boards more. Should I repost there or can someone move it?

Reply 4 of 14, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
therevisiona wrote on 2020-05-17, 16:16:

I also had this error, turned out to be a faulty floppy disk, made a new one and worked like a charm 😀

This might have been part of the issue at first. I also wonder if the floppy drive on the computer bad, going to swap it out soon.

Reply 5 of 14, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
collector wrote on 2020-05-17, 18:49:

Maybe you mean - old *DOS* games on modern systems. At least that's what the forum description says. And maybe it's time someone actually changed the name of the forum, since obviously no one reads descriptions. If "DOS Games on Modern Systems" is too long, then at least "DOS Games" (and "Windows Games") might prevent some people from posting generic DOS/Windows questions in these forums.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2020-05-18, 06:03:

Maybe you mean - old *DOS* games on modern systems. At least that's what the forum description says. And maybe it's time someone actually changed the name of the forum, since obviously no one reads descriptions. If "DOS Games on Modern Systems" is too long, then at least "DOS Games" (and "Windows Games") might prevent some people from posting generic DOS/Windows questions in these forums.

Yes, of course I did. My mistake. They do it to both forums. I am not so interested in dino hardware, but getting these old games running on modern systems is what interests me. It is what VOGONS was founded on. It makes finding relevant information harder when you have to wade through a bunch of posts that only apply to ancient machines. The dino stuff is an after thought, not that they are not part of the community, but there are several dedicated forums here for them

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote on 2020-05-18, 17:38:
dr_st wrote on 2020-05-18, 06:03:

Yes, of course I did. My mistake. They do it to both forums. I am not so interested in dino hardware, but getting these old games running on modern systems is what interests me. It is what VOGONS was founded on. It makes finding relevant information harder when you have to wade through a bunch of posts that only apply to ancient machines. The dino stuff is an after thought, not that they are not part of the community, but there are several dedicated forums here for them

🤣 you guys ! Nice to see team work and thanks for modding the forums.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to give more info. What motherboard or what system. If installing DOS and it gets stuck it could be numerous problems but most likely either a RAM, floppy drive or bad floppy disk issue. But wait there is more: could be harddrive or motherboard or controller. You need to give more information on your system for any one to even guess whats wrong.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 14, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-20, 02:33:

You need to give more info. What motherboard or what system. If installing DOS and it gets stuck it could be numerous problems but most likely either a RAM, floppy drive or bad floppy disk issue. But wait there is more: could be harddrive or motherboard or controller. You need to give more information on your system for any one to even guess whats wrong.

Thank you for your interest in my problem. I recently found out the problem was a bad floppy drive. It was good enough for the computer to recognize it and it'd even read disks a bit, but I guess it would fail part way through or something. Either way I put in a floppy drive that I knew worked and hadn't had problems since. Honestly I feel kind of foolish but I had tried a few different drives and the ones I tried were both bad.

Reply 12 of 14, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thenix wrote on 2020-05-21, 14:43:

I recently found out the problem was a bad floppy drive. It was good enough for the computer to recognize it and it'd even read disks a bit, but I guess it would fail part way through or something. Either way I put in a floppy drive that I knew worked and hadn't had problems since. Honestly I feel kind of foolish but I had tried a few different drives and the ones I tried were both bad.

Sounds like the one bad floppy drives electronics are Ok since it does start to read a disk. You might just need to clean the heads and lube the rails and stepper parts. Here is a link about that with 5.25" drives, the process is similar with 3.5" drives:
https://dfarq.homeip.net/5-25-floppy-drive-maintenance/

Reply 13 of 14, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-21, 15:28:
thenix wrote on 2020-05-21, 14:43:

I recently found out the problem was a bad floppy drive. It was good enough for the computer to recognize it and it'd even read disks a bit, but I guess it would fail part way through or something. Either way I put in a floppy drive that I knew worked and hadn't had problems since. Honestly I feel kind of foolish but I had tried a few different drives and the ones I tried were both bad.

Sounds like the one bad floppy drives electronics are Ok since it does start to read a disk. You might just need to clean the heads and lube the rails and stepper parts. Here is a link about that with 5.25" drives, the process is similar with 3.5" drives:
https://dfarq.homeip.net/5-25-floppy-drive-maintenance/

Thank you again. I'll try it out since it's better than just recycling it.

Reply 14 of 14, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like you got this fixed but I wanted to add something that causes a very similar, infuriating problem. Some AWARD bioses have an option for virus protection. If you enable it, the bios tries to prompt you whenever a program writes to the C: boot sector. The problem is that the Windows 95 installer tries to do so, but after it switches the video card from text to graphical mode. This causes the computer to just freeze instead of prompting you. So make sure any BIOS virus protection options are turned off before you go tinkering with installing anything.