VOGONS

First post, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A while ago a bought an Olivetti M-240 with an Olivetti monitor. Using Google didn't give me much info except on one site.
According to this site it's an EGA so I was really excited since I was looking for an IBM 5154 for quite a while. This one was also EGA so I was happy anyway.
Model is CD 14A/4001
http://mastodonpc.tripod.com/personal/monitor.html

I had a few untested EGA cards (2 EGA Wonder and 1 IBM) so I hooked up the monitor and only got some artifacted lines on the top of the screen.
I tested them with my 5153 in CGA mode and they both seem to work. The other EGA Wonder in my Commodore PC30 has no DIP switches and doesn't output an image on the 5153.
The monitor works because I tested it with Kings Quest in EGA on the Olivetti.

http://imgur.com/gallery/1hE9M8r

Is it possible that it would only work with an Olivetti PC??!!!

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 1 of 9, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote on 2020-05-18, 08:21:

Is it possible that it would only work with an Olivetti PC??!!!

Perhaps the wiki entry would help explain this a bit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivetti_M24
This is for M24 but M240 seems to be mostly a 10MHz clock upgrade to the 8MHz 8086 in the M24. Which is already a pretty unique machine, there weren't many actual 8086-based ones.

Anyway, the M24 has a custom CGA-like graphics card and so perhaps the monitor is just RGBI and not true EGA. Also, it seems to use 50Hz VSYNC which again is a custom Olivetti thing and not even compatible with other CGAs.

Reply 2 of 9, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I read that article but not 100% it seems.
It would explain the fact that none of my cards show something on-screen except some garbled lines on top.
Going to open the PC and take a look at the card.

Too bad almost no info is found about the monitor.

Thanks for the help!

Reply 3 of 9, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote on 2020-05-18, 16:09:

Going to open the PC and take a look at the card.

Is it possible to remove the shroud on the video cable from the monitor? I remember the early ones were screwed together from two metal halves, not full plastic. If so, make some photos and/or compare the pinout to a generic CGA and EGA. Because typically with a bad vertical frequency you still get some picture but no V-lock so it's scrolling up/down the screen pretty fast. If you only get some garbage at the top of the screen that might suggest the monitor is not getting VSYNC signal at all - because it's not on a pin it's expecting it to be.

Reply 4 of 9, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going to take a look tomorrow but I believe it's 2 metal halves.
Should Checkit give some info on the video adapter?
On the Commodore PCIII, I see some changes in the garble,probably more text from the POST, but still garble/lines and not text, all squashed on the top of the screen.

Reply 5 of 9, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The connector is full plastic sadly.
Checkit 2.1 reports EGA and I took a look at the back of the PC. I see DIP switches that are set for EGA and 2 RCA connectors...
Weird that my other cards give this garble...

Reply 6 of 9, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Murugan wrote on 2020-05-19, 18:40:

The connector is full plastic sadly.
Checkit 2.1 reports EGA and I took a look at the back of the PC. I see DIP switches that are set for EGA and 2 RCA connectors...
Weird that my other cards give this garble...

Well, the sync signals are TTL so if you have a scope or a meter with frequency counter going up to 50kHz then you could probe the V/H pins (8 & 9) to see what's being output. I'm not sure how easy it is to detect EGA card, unlike VGA many registers on EGA are write-only. Could be a misdetecion, or it might indeed be an EGA but with different vertical refresh frequency.

Reply 7 of 9, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TBH I don't have the more advanced tools for this hobby 😀 Only a simple multimeter, a soldering iron and an air gun.
Another EGA screen is coming one of these.... so then I'll be able to test some more.

Reply 9 of 9, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ATI EGA Wonder 800 card has a jumper that supports the 25kHz horizontal sync output mode required by these Olivetti monitors.

In the case of an M24 monitor, you'll also need to craft a DB9 to DB25 adapter.

See also http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?652 … 9-adapter/page8