VOGONS

Reply 200 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree with the above, it makes more sense to see the schema in the normal rotation (with the keyboard connector in the top left corner)

This is not about copying TH99 anymore, we want this to become better than that.

Reply 201 of 408, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The original TH99 schematics were rotated up side down, in opposite as you'd usually see the board in the case. I don't know, why they took such a decision, but it is as it is. And since UH19 was based on the databases of TH99, all the schematics went over to the new database as they are - up side down. Where it's actually not important, how the schematics are rotated, it's starts to be tricky if you add photos of original boards. I think you agree, that all the pictures should be oriented in the same way to avoid any confusion and make it easier to compare them. The problem is, that the most inscriptions on the real boards are directed the other way around as they've been made in TH99, since there all the schematics were drawn up side down. Long story short, many people are annoyed to see the photos now, where the inscriptions are up side down and would like to see the photos rotated in the right way, but then all the schematics have to be rotated as well to match the orientation of the photos. This would again mean, that the inscriptions on the schematics now would be up side down. And this is where we are....

My Youtube channel Necroware

Reply 203 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Microhouse technical library started in 1992. My guess is that tower PCs weren't that common yet so they didn't use them as a reference.

But nowadays towers are king and most people and most motherboard manufacturers show them the other way around. Before the 90's the "true" orientation wasn't that clear. DTK for instance is rotated like MTL until the 486s where they chose another orientation (keyboard connector at the top of the image ...).

But one manufacturer isn't representative, the vast majority made their schematics in the orientation we'd like to use. This makes reusing schematics from manuals more tedious than it should since we have to rotate the text for each new board which is time consuming.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 204 of 408, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok most of that makes sense. About 3/4 of board layout in all my manuals after 2000 have the board with KB to left, the others is to top. Near all my older boards manual they are all diff directions.
As far a tower case.... so you all mount the mobo with the case standing up ? 🤣
I always lay it on it's side to mount a board so direction is never an issue and that is when I set jumpers, install cables, troubleshoot, etc.
Thanks for the reasons I was just wondering.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 206 of 408, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this motherboard recently. Based on the serial number sticker this is MG board but it does not have the usual MG logo. It does have the plastic cover under the motherboard that is typical for MG. I need jumper instructions since none are printed on board. I tried to find them from UH19 database but it did not have this MG board. However I did found this Chaintech 4SLB. The photo looks very much like this MG board but the scan looks to be from completely different board.

Is that photo in wrong place? I can read the jumper settings from that photo so it helps anyway.

Reply 207 of 408, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found some inaccuracies in the specs of the Aopen 6VIA/ZX85 (6via85): http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/7956
- the motherboard supports FSB 66/100/133(OC)--> page only lists FSB66/100
- it supports Celeron (Mendocino), Celeron (Coppemine) and Pentium III (Coppermine) --> page only lists mendocino celerons. 133MHz CPUs will work but you need to manually configure the AGP/PCI/FSB divider to run PCI at 33Mhz witch is done via a jumper located near the ISA slots witch on some boards is unpopulated.

The Acorp 6VIA85P (http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/7957) officially supports 133MHz FSB.
- it also supports VIA C3 Samuel chips.

Both boards are silkscreened 6VIA / ZX85, and the only way of telling them apart is looking at the northbridge (VIA VT82C693 or VIA VT82C693A for the FSB133 version). In some (rare) cases there will be a sticker over the silkscreen that reads "6VIA85P" for the Apollo 133 version

The on-board sound card is optional - only seen one board with it out of the dozens that pop up where I live, and it requires a breakout cable.

I have two of these lovely little AT boards and tested them with all of the above without updating the BIOS. One is running a VIA C3 800A (incorrectly detected as 800B at post - probably a typo) and the other a 1000MHz Pentium III Coppermine (133MHz FSB).

It should be noted they are prone to capacitor rot, particularly the 1500uf 6.3v caps near AT power connector. Dead boards might be revived by recapping.

Reply 208 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Issues related to FSB/CPUs will be fixed later, because the way it's made currently is just bad. An update should arrive during july.

We'll fix the rest 😀
Thanks for your help

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 209 of 408, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aitotat wrote on 2021-06-19, 07:05:

There is now pictures from back and BIOS image. The model is likely 486IG-B-2-1. At least that is what is printed on the back.

Reply 210 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aitotat wrote on 2021-06-19, 15:31:
aitotat wrote on 2021-06-19, 07:05:

There is now pictures from back and BIOS image. The model is likely 486IG-B-2-1. At least that is what is printed on the back.

If you can, try to dump the BIOS (or write down the POST string), it helps a lot identifying who made the board.

Reply 211 of 408, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Zipped BIOS is already at that link. I found 40-0002-428021-00101111-080893-SIS471B from the image. Since this is AMI bios does that mean 8021 is vendor code? And that would be Acer? But should it be 008021 then and not 428021? I haven't even tried the motherboard yet since I first want to make sure jumpers are correct.

Reply 212 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aitotat wrote on 2021-06-20, 15:16:

Zipped BIOS is already at that link. I found 40-0002-428021-00101111-080893-SIS471B from the image. Since this is AMI bios does that mean 8021 is vendor code? And that would be Acer? But should it be 008021 then and not 428021? I haven't even tried the motherboard yet since I first want to make sure jumpers are correct.

Yes, the last 4 digits in the 3rd sequence are the vendor code. And yes, it means it's an Acer board.

Reply 213 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have 486igb21.amw: 40-0202-428028-00001111-072594-SIS471 on elhvb.com in a folder named ASK (not the question but the company from HongKong). Their Award bios ID = AT
I don't seem to have a manual, but, this seems to match pretty well: https://www.ultimateretro.net/motherboards/1936

Last edited by evasive on 2021-10-26, 07:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 214 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Socket3 wrote on 2021-06-19, 11:08:
Found some inaccuracies in the specs of the Aopen 6VIA/ZX85 (6via85): https://www.ultimateretro.net/motherboards/7956 - the mot […]
Show full quote

Found some inaccuracies in the specs of the Aopen 6VIA/ZX85 (6via85): https://www.ultimateretro.net/motherboards/7956
- it supports Celeron (Mendocino), Celeron (Coppemine) and Pentium III (Coppermine) --> page only lists mendocino celerons. 133MHz CPUs will work but you need to manually configure the AGP/PCI/FSB divider to run PCI at 33Mhz witch is done via a jumper located near the ISA slots witch on some boards is unpopulated.

The Acorp 6VIA85P (https://www.ultimateretro.net/motherboards/7957) officially supports 133MHz FSB.

Both boards are silkscreened 6VIA / ZX85, and the only way of telling them apart is looking at the northbridge (VIA VT82C693 or VIA VT82C693A for the FSB133 version). In some (rare) cases there will be a sticker over the silkscreen that reads "6VIA85P" for the Apollo 133 version

Are both boards having the same power regulation circuits then? They must be VRM 8.4 spec for official Coppermine support.

Bus speeds, we don't have the "Overclocked" option in that list.

As for the unpopulated jumper for the PCI divider, does this only happen on 693 boards or also on the 693A versions?

Last edited by evasive on 2021-10-26, 07:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 215 of 408, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
evasive wrote on 2021-06-23, 06:47:
Are both boards having the same power regulation circuits then? They must be VRM 8.4 spec for official Coppermine support. […]
Show full quote
Socket3 wrote on 2021-06-19, 11:08:
Found some inaccuracies in the specs of the Aopen 6VIA/ZX85 (6via85): http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/7956 - the mot […]
Show full quote

Found some inaccuracies in the specs of the Aopen 6VIA/ZX85 (6via85): http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/7956

The Acorp 6VIA85P (http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/7957) officially supports 133MHz FSB.

Are both boards having the same power regulation circuits then? They must be VRM 8.4 spec for official Coppermine support.

Bus speeds, we don't have the "Overclocked" option in that list.

As for the unpopulated jumper for the PCI divider, does this only happen on 693 boards or also on the 693A versions?

Both but it can be soldered on. The 693A automatically switches PCI to 33MHz when a 133MHz CPU is installed so the jumper is redundant.

Reply 216 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My question apparently was not clear.

Does the 6VIA85 have VRM8.4 spec voltage regulators that can handle Coppermine CPUs, from the factory?

As for the jumper, thank you for explaining.

Reply 217 of 408, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

18 July 2021 UPDATE: We have started implementing the new update for UH19, which requires some database migration. The website will still be accessible, but any content addition/update will be suspended for now.

When the update is finally applied to UH19, we'll make another announcement (as it will be taken down for a while).

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 218 of 408, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PVI-486SP3 page doesn't show the full list of what CPUs it supports. http://gboeger.de/Computer/Asus_PVI486SP3/pvisp3-cpu.html gives a full list with jumper settings.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 219 of 408, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hope the update goes well ! Have had some issues doing basic searches over the last few weeks <no motherboards found> and I know you are constantly trying to improve it but the basic search features seem to have some issues lately or maybe is just me.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun