VOGONS

Reply 220 of 408, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BTW the Ford Lian stuff I looked at was a bit off, like there's more than one version of the BX-6VP2, you seem to have the D revision up. Stuff to snarf here... https://www.elhvb.com/mboards/fordlian/Garner.htm

(And if you work your way up and down the directory trees at that site and try random searches from google against it, you'll find half a dozen archive backups of dead site and other ppls stuff, which seem hard to get to from the front page, and kinda disorganised as a whole.)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 221 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2021-07-19, 02:24:

Hope the update goes well ! Have had some issues doing basic searches over the last few weeks <no motherboards found> and I know you are constantly trying to improve it but the basic search features seem to have some issues lately or maybe is just me.

Some fields still can't give good results (such as form factor and ram), not because their code is broken, but because many form factors need to be identified. If you use those, don't expect any proper result.

Sorry 🙁

(They won't be fixed in the upcoming update, we're trying to get the database schema exactly like we would like before reviewing all the boards and finally having matching data)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 222 of 408, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Specifically on the form factor field. There are a lot of OEM/Prop. boards that are not yet identified as such. We went through 5000+ boards looking for errors. AT and ATX should be fairly accurate. IIRC at the time we didn't have an OEM/Prop. category. An oversight.

There is also the 1000s of errors in TH99 itself. We have found so so many, but many many remain.

The slot count is pretty good to find boards. And we have made headway into identifying chipsets. But some manual just don't state the chipset which is infuriating if you don't have an image. DEC I'm looking at you.

Tips for searching. Do a search and fill in as many of the fields you want. If it doesn't show something then try to widen your search by removing fields one by one. You may have to search though 30 boards, but that is better than searching through 500 in th99. Results with images are coming soon.

If you find errors please let us know.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 223 of 408, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks ! yes I was using the form factor along with a specific chipset, thought I had also searched w/o form but guess I didn't, my fault ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 224 of 408, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have too much trouble with it, guess because I've seen a few boards and I can do a "guess what's most unique about this one" to tune the search. Though I wish some things weren't so specific, like you could do a search for any kind of AGP slot etc. Also some processor options should have a broader option IMO.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 225 of 408, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hahaa I have also seen tons and have many boards and have added more since then but sometimes when in hurry do not not think clearly about the unique-nes part 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 226 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've setup a test server on http://deksor.fr/uh19/ feel free to send us feedback and please report any bug you may find.

Remember : this is a test server. Don't link pages from there anywhere else, the server is temporary. Use win3x instead.

Last edited by Deksor on 2021-10-25, 22:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 227 of 408, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-19, 02:55:

BTW the Ford Lian stuff I looked at was a bit off, like there's more than one version of the BX-6VP2, you seem to have the D revision up. Stuff to snarf here... https://www.elhvb.com/mboards/fordlian/Garner.htm

(And if you work your way up and down the directory trees at that site and try random searches from google against it, you'll find half a dozen archive backups of dead site and other ppls stuff, which seem hard to get to from the front page, and kinda disorganised as a whole.)

Yes, most of that was conceived during my previous marriage. I wasn't in the best of shapes back then.

supportbios.info stuff: the guy died when I was trying to transfer the stuff from his home computer in Mexico. His family must have thought it was not important because it has gone forever.
mobokive is transfered as-is from another home server.
mboards is really what I could find and slap on the web as fast as possible.
If you have questions about the content in there, there is actually an email link in there.
https://www.elhvb.com/index.html

Reply 228 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, so it's been almost 9 months since the last UH19 update, but here we are, a day after the anniversary, we've updated the site!
To summarize, these are the new features added:

• A new welcome page, with a list of the last 10 added or updated boards
    1.PNG
    Filename
    1.PNG
    File size
    216.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • A dedicated search page for BIOSes
    2.PNG
    Filename
    2.PNG
    File size
    25.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Italian translation
    3.PNG
    Filename
    3.PNG
    File size
    120.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Dark mode for modern browsers
    4.PNG
    Filename
    4.PNG
    File size
    71.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • You can now search motherboards with images
    5.PNG
    Filename
    5.PNG
    File size
    570.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 229 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
  • Added a proper list of supported CPUs with details on motherboard pages (and CPU socket search; still needs tweaks on some boards)
    6.PNG
    Filename
    6.PNG
    File size
    35.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Image viewer for motherboards, using highslide.js
    7.PNG
    Filename
    7.PNG
    File size
    998.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Driver downloads (for now it's limited to chipsets and motherboards only, more to come later)
    8.PNG
    Filename
    8.PNG
    File size
    12.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • Massive speed improvements (roughly up to 200% overall)

Reply 231 of 408, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great stuff and happy birthday for yesterday.

Reply 236 of 408, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to use Ajax, then IE5 is the oldest. If you don't have JS enabled or Ajax doesn't work, then ie4 should work well, but older browsers should be functional as well.

Reply 237 of 408, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote on 2021-09-30, 11:16:

If you want to use Ajax, then IE5 is the oldest. If you don't have JS enabled or Ajax doesn't work, then ie4 should work well, but older browsers should be functional as well.

I tried Navigator 4, but I couldn't view any of the search functionality. Could just browse by letter.

In IE6 it appears to work (IE5 as well probably as you say), but just wanted to check on any cutoff point from a development perspective 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 238 of 408, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote on 2021-09-30, 11:23:

I tried Navigator 4, but I couldn't view any of the search functionality. Could just browse by letter.

In IE6 it appears to work (IE5 as well probably as you say), but just wanted to check on any cutoff point from a development perspective 😀

Internet Explorer 4 for Windows 95 is the oldest supported browser. We ran into lots of bugs and issues with Navigator 4 while in development (to the point where the browser would crash upon the page load), therefore it's not supported.

Reply 239 of 408, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We tried to get even older browsers to work, but you end up limiting what you can do, particularly with the search function. Without ajax, the search page would likely have to be multi-page and/or very clunky.

You can view the site in IE4 on win 3, but it uses a different code-base to the 32bit version and has some terrible bugs. There are also some practical issues. You can't really load a 4MB image on a system with low RAM. I think early IE has a limit, or a library IIRC it uses has a limit on image size.

We may have better support for links/lynx in the future. We want to support old browsers but it is difficult to justify if it takes away from the functionality of the majority of our visitors.

We are prioritizing fixing inaccurate information in th99 and adding new info.

Edit: We did get non-js search page working.

Last edited by mR_Slug on 2021-09-30, 20:13. Edited 1 time in total.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia