VOGONS

First post, by Randomnesses

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Tandy CM-11 monitor that I picked up at a garage sale 15 years ago, and it's missing the control cover door. I'm finally getting around to trying to restore the Monitor and Computer I have to the best I can, and my hope is to try to create a replacement and 3D Print it, I've tried to make one just by looking at pictures online and measuring the opening and lots of trial and error, but I cannot find a good picture of the inside of the door cover anywhere. The closest I can find is this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jdkAAOSwythewDBC/s-l1600.jpg

But it's just one angle of it, It would be nice if I could get a couple different angles of it, like side views of the pieces that clip on on both sides and any other nice angles that would help in designing it. If anyone has one and if they could take several different clear angled pictures I would be very appreciative. If you feel comfortable removing the door and taking pictures that would be really nice, but if it's just left on the monitor, that is fine, and I understand, I wouldn't want to cause anyone to accidentally break their's.

I do know that I will probably have to heat it up and bend it a bit after it's printed, as it looks like it's probably not flat. I've got

IyH12qi.jpg
HLeI26p.jpg

If anyone's interested in viewing the STL, it's attached, but it wouldn't let me leave it as an STL file. Just change it from JPG to STL. There's an online viewer here: https://www.viewstl.com/

I had hoped someone had already made one of these, but I cannot find any online, I can find lots of doors for other monitors, but not any Tandy's.

Thanks

Reply 2 of 8, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2021-05-22, 20:21:

Have you managed to make a fitting one? Because I have exactly same problem...

Anyway, I designed the door already, but I think I will improve the design to include the 3D badge and hinges that will look more like original.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 4 of 8, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amoerman wrote on 2021-06-21, 21:19:

Is the STL for this available?

I need to polish the design. The one I designed previously fit pretty nicely, but it was before I found the detailed pictures above. I won't make the .stl available for now. However I will have the printed lids for sale when I finish the project. Price will be reasonable.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 5 of 8, by terryfi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I've recently acquired one CM-11 with broken tabs on one side of panel door. The tabs are kind of delicate and not easy to recreate with glue or metal paper clips, I am not familiar with 3D printing and neither have a 3D printer but if anyone here can help with some resources or designs to partially print door and attach tabs to my original door; it would be awesome.

Reply 6 of 8, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
terryfi wrote on 2023-02-27, 03:22:

Hi everyone, I've recently acquired one CM-11 with broken tabs on one side of panel door. The tabs are kind of delicate and not easy to recreate with glue or metal paper clips, I am not familiar with 3D printing and neither have a 3D printer but if anyone here can help with some resources or designs to partially print door and attach tabs to my original door; it would be awesome.

Pics needed.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 7 of 8, by terryfi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Photos attached

Attachments

Reply 8 of 8, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would be able to print the missing elements and replace them on the lid, but I would have to get the lid (at the same time I would have an opportunity to take the exact measurements for my complete 3D model). But for that you would have to send it to Poland... it may be viable option or not depending on where you are located.

Also it's worth checking if there are no some loose elements inside the monitor - that would mean the tabs are inside of it so it would allow for easier repair (although the chance it will crack in the same spot would be pretty big).

I8v8PGb.jpg