VOGONS

Reply 40 of 46, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote on 2020-05-26, 15:20:
@evasive One question, maybe a silly one but I'm trying to improve my understanding here. His BIOS chip has a sticker that says […]
Show full quote

@evasive
One question, maybe a silly one but I'm trying to improve my understanding here.
His BIOS chip has a sticker that says [02/25/99] which is 8 months before the Coppermine was launched.
If he needs to upgrade his BIOS for Coppermine support (if that is at all possible) should he not begin with a Katmai cpu anyway ?

Slot 1 CPU fitting..

Good question how much trouble that would give. Sometimes a board will boot and just show a wrong model for the CPU, yet you can flash the bios to a revision that officially supports that CPU.

So the big question is, what revision is currently flashed in that chip. We know the original is feb 25 1999, but was it ever updated already?

For that you'd need another board with the same eeprom socket or a network card or an USB eeprom reader.

Reply 44 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I may have this arriving in the post later today: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333526954115

Really hoping this works, if it does not for whatever reason I am going to have to drop pursuing this Slot 1 build for a while.

Reply 45 of 46, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And an update..

The system works almost 100% as it should with the replacement CPU linked in my last post.

One weird thing is the UDMA mode for both the optical drive and the SD to IDE Adaptor seem to be stuck in Mode 2. The Adaptor runs in mode 4 on my socket 7 system ?

Reply 46 of 46, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xs1nX wrote on 2020-06-02, 17:53:

And an update..

The system works almost 100% as it should with the replacement CPU linked in my last post.

One weird thing is the UDMA mode for both the optical drive and the SD to IDE Adaptor seem to be stuck in Mode 2. The Adaptor runs in mode 4 on my socket 7 system ?

UDMA mode 2 is 33MB/s , which is normal for a PIIX4E on a 440BX board .

I would imagine the socket 7 system was running in MW-DMA mode 4, which is 25MB/s .