VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wanting to use a maximum computer with cpu pentium 200 non MMX and being able to put isa and pci cards for graphics, up to what year can you think that it can be used as retrogaming?

Reply 3 of 9, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-05-22, 15:37:

really so far? I thought it could be used profitably maximum until 1998.

Yes ans no. Don't expect to max out games like ut99 or quake3. But there are games from 99-2000 that can still be played on such a system. most games up to 98 will play with a handful of games from 99 and 2000.

Reply 4 of 9, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Plenty of 1999 games will run on a Pentium 200, such as Sim City 3000, RollerCoaster Tycoon, or Age of Empires II. Of course these are 2D games, but I spent more time playing these back in 1999 than I did 3D shooters, so I consider them pretty significant games of the era, even though they weren't cutting edge.

Reply 6 of 9, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-05-22, 17:48:

Early 3D games didn't age well, I much prefer 2D titles. Most of 2D titles from the era would run perfectly on Pentium 200.

This one

I prefer early-mid '90 retrogames and 3d games like screamer or comanche or not 3d but.. doom.

Reply 8 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Games like screamer will be happy with a 200.

Dos side maybe a late game or 2 that cant run at full detail but majority of the games you'll be ok with a 200
Voodoo is the most successful of dos era 3D cards but the majority of gamers didn't own one which is why games always had a software mode.

Win9x games, you'll start to struggle much sooner. but as mentioned 2D games will be fine, as an example
C&C Tiberian Sun was released in 99 and system requirements is Pentium 166 , 2MB VGA

Reply 9 of 9, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-05-23, 15:26:

the Pentium 200 could arrive to the games of 1999 even without a 3D card? Considering that it doesn't handle 3D well it could be useless right?

for 1999, pretty much. i mean, see for yourself how ut99 (beta) runs on 233mmx: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJTgMUqxqQ0

older stuff like quake 2 and forsaken should be ok though provided an adequate accelerator. for 3d software rendering, probably the original quake is still going to be the most efficient use of that cpu.

chinny22 wrote on 2020-05-26, 15:17:

Win9x games, you'll start to struggle much sooner. but as mentioned 2D games will be fine, as an example
C&C Tiberian Sun was released in 99 and system requirements is Pentium 166 , 2MB VGA

except official hardware requirements were a joke during that time in many cases (maybe even more often than not). my favorite is half-life, allegedly playable on p133, good luck with that.

same thing really goes for 2d titles thanks to the establishment of higher resolutions and 16-bit color depth. case in point, heroes of might and magic 3 from 1999, same p133 requirement and i have actually tested it on that, it's a total slideshow. practical minimum is rather something like p2 233 so not quite wirth's law territory but well, putting honest requirements on the box never helped sales either.